Advertisement

Author Topic: hiring students  (Read 4145 times)

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
hiring students
« on: January 30, 2017, 04:47:29 PM »
we're hiring students to support our engineering department, to help them gain experience and prep them for their future career goals. at the same time, we're not just looking to fill positions, we need motivated students who can perform well, b/c time and money will be spent on training.

we have 5 applicants, 4 openings. 4 male caucasian, 1 female hmong.

1 of the boy and the hmong girl share the same class/major, and will be graduating the same year. here's what set them apart...

caucasian boy - previous high school activities/work experience. director of a small volunteer/non profit group. some job experience relating to school major. excellent communication skill, asked questions during the interview.

hmong girl - no volunteer work, no high school activities, job experience not relating to school major. quite and was not interactive during the interview. she has a full college scholarship.

we have 4 openings. right now the hmong girl is at the bottom of the list, but is it fair to place her there?

over the weekend i had time to reflect and compare my own growing up experience in the 90s. my parents wasn't involved as other caucasian parents were about extra activities and volunteer work. i just knew how to study hard and went off to college. i didn't have a role model, or someone to teach me to build a successful resume. i did the minimum, but worked hard to go to school.

do you think the hmong girl deserves a chance (she did studied hard in h.s. and earned a full scholarship)? working here will get her the experience needed, so that one day she can compete with other applicants at a corporate firm.

i just want to point out that race and gender have nothing to do with the hiring decision. but i think culture/lack of education has a lot to do with how you were raised.

i hope we can be better than our parents; participate, get involve in our kid's life and teach them how to build a strong future.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
Re: hiring students
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 05:02:51 PM »
Give the hmong girl a chance.  Look at trump.  No political experiences, a baffoon and your president. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 08:19:48 AM »
Experience wise. The male seems a better fit.

But what about personality wise?  What kind of questions did you ask? Scenario questions?

personality wise the guy seems more likeable. i really want to give her the opportunity to gain experience to build a solid resume for her future career. at the same time i feel she didn't put effort into the interview.

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 08:21:44 AM »
personality wise the guy seems more likeable. i really want to give her the opportunity to gain experience to build a solid resume for her future career. at the same time i feel she didn't put effort into the interview.

hoping she'll turn out to be the next mee moua, not trump. it comes from early experience.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 08:31:41 AM »
I can understand the empathy/sympathy.

But the flip side of giving her a chance is you'll be providing her a crutch, potentially. This may come down to individual accountability . Plus, consider what she may take away from this. Growth comes from both success and failures.

Make the less emotional, more empirical decision.

GL.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »
No brainer, the hmong girl.

Why?

Well basically just what your reflected on.

She's probably going to be the better and harder worker.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

six

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 12:29:26 AM »
caucasian boy - previous high school activities/work experience. director of a small volunteer/non profit group. some job experience relating to school major. excellent communication skill, asked questions during the interview.

hmong girl - no volunteer work, no high school activities, job experience not relating to school major. quite and was not interactive during the interview. she has a full college scholarship.

Research has shown that none of what you've listed matters much.  What determines their success later is the opportunity you give them now.  They both will do just fine.

IMO, the boy has "paid his dues," so most would give him the opportunity; you know what you're getting, but he'll probably jump ship within two years.  The girl might surprise you out-of-the-box thinking and might stick around for a while.  What's important to your company?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:32:35 AM by six »

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 07:32:28 AM »
create a 5th opening for all 5 candidates.  if nooneever has dropped off after a month, do evaluation and eliminate the weakest link or least productive.  I'm sure not everyone is going to stick around, if their primary duties is to get coffee and donuts in the morning...the hmong girl might even last longer, if this was the case.   :D ;D

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

nooneever

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »
Don't get emotionally attached.  It might become personal if you personally went out of your way to help her and she screws up.  I think you made the right decisions.  However, you should focus more on personality and aptitude.  If she does not get selected you should tell her why you guys chose the others over her and give her something to work towards.  That may help her down the road.  Getting a "no" from these things are something we should all expect in life and learn to cope with and move on.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 05:11:43 PM »
I would give the girl a chance.  We need more female in engineering.

Also, just because someone is good at interviews doesn't mean they are good. 

Like this post: +2

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 06:19:31 PM »
From experience, give the girl a chance, people that are modest, shy, or reserved can be very talented if they're given a chance to grow compare to those that are overly confident of their abilities. Interviews are really just for people to brag about themselves to get their foot in the door and nothing more.

Dom

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 09:11:35 AM »
Might as well put their names and resumes up so we can help.  :2funny:

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 12:07:05 AM »
Slude, I hope you gave the girl a chance.  Like Duck said, we need more woman engineer.  Play the gender and diversity card!  In addition, diversity is critical to creating new ideas.  By bringing people of different gender, race, background, experience, education, etc..., you create a stronger team through diversity.  Excellent leaders build a strength through diversity.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:10:25 AM by w1s3m0n »

Advertisements