Advertisement

Author Topic: Maplewood man convicted of stealing $1.7M from Hmong elders in homeland scam  (Read 12669 times)

fOrEvEr_sUn_76

A Twin Cities man has been convicted of defrauding his Hmong elders out of more than $1.7 million by promising each of them land and a home in a future homeland in Southeast Asia. Federal jurors in St. Paul took two hours last week to find Seng Xiong, 49, of Maplewood guilty of wire fraud and mail fraud in a trial that spanned more than two weeks. Sentencing has not been scheduled. “Seng Xiong took the Hmong people’s tragic history of war and displacement and manipulated that for his own benefit,” said Assistant U.S. Attorney Amber Brennan in a statement announcing the conviction. Xiong ran his fraud scheme from at least September 2014 to March 2016 until he was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport while trying to board a flight to Thailand. Under an organization he named “Hmong Tebchaws,” he directed elders to deposit $3,000 to $5,000 into a bank account held in his name. In exchange, they were each promised 10 acres of land already set aside, a house and the benefits in a future country established as a Hmong homeland somewhere in Southeast Asia. He claimed to be working with the White House and United Nations to establish the country.

Ha so much for Hmong teb chaws. :2funny: Kinda feel bad for those elders now. :-\

To read the original article go here:
http://www.startribune.com/twin-cities-man-convicted-of-stealing-1-7m-from-hmong-elders-in-new-homeland-scam/412267663/

(Seng Xiong, age 49, arrested for fraud and scam)

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
welp...sounds look like he's found his hmong tebchaw, except it's a 6x8 ft room with bars! 

Like this post: +1
wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Primitive is, primitive does...

So much for "Tsov tsis tom tsov".... ;D

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Many elderlys were quite ready to accept the claim of a Hmong country.

Of course, they didn't know two very important things: 1. the UN does not have the authority to grant anyone a country, and 2. US citizens cannot take over a country or create a new country that is not authorized by the US's federal government.

A few months before the arrest and put the wiring to rest on Seng Xiong, I was at a store and ran into an old lady on the cashier line. She said many guys have dropped their jobs and were preparing to leave for the Hmong country.

"We will have health care waiting for you," she quoted the guy who said that to her.

"M'am," I said to the lady. "You and many of your friends and relatives are old now. You are not going to start a new life somewhere else. What you have in Saint Paul here is enough for your lifetime. Do not drop everything here and go there."

"I know. I don't know how good their services are yet," she said. "I don't want to lose my benefits here."

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

baddabing

He wasn't alone, there are others helping him promote his idea to the elders, those few other folks should be arrested too. If they're also victims they should be arrested for stupidity.

Despite the crime and arrest, I still say vote seng xiong for Hmong president.

Sent xiongs my hero because I thought about this ridiculous scam before but didn't believe it would actually work on Hmong people. He proved that it does work. Jk ;D

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:55:29 PM by baddabing »

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
There's nothing wrong with having a dream. But misleading gullible people that they have the backing of UN or White house in establishing a home land just goes to far. This is a small case, the feds must have nothing better/important to do other than target this small fry. I bet the agent in charge of this case is a dev hmoob, doing all just for a piece of bone.   

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
Where is the money?

Hmoob mas qhov tsimnyog txhawb mas tsis txhawb. Qhov uas yog cuav xwb mas nim ho muaj muaj siab thiab vam vam.

Oh welps, that Xiong guy will have all the time in the world to dream about Hmoob tebchaws.

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
^^ Many of you are too young to remember but there was a scam way way from the 80's called Neo Hom.  This involved the BIG MAN himself (yawg Loj). 

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
^^ Many of you are too young to remember but there was a scam way way from the 80's called Neo Hom.  This involved the BIG MAN himself (yawg Loj).

But wasn't that for a good cause, to continue support of the resistance as the war over in Laos had never ended?

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Yes, publicly that was the original focus of the group.  But later on, those in control started selling political positions like generals, colonels, mayors, governor, police chief, etc.  You can pay for such positions in the new administration in case they overthrown the current government.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
Yes, publicly that was the original focus of the group.  But later on, those in control started selling political positions like generals, colonels, mayors, governor, police chief, etc.  You can pay for such positions in the new administration in case they overthrown the current government.

Selling political seats is a classic throughout all ages. If there's no such thing, we wouldn't have politics.lol Just look at America's political system, it's follows the same scheme.

Like this post: +1

Lyn Song

Never thought that one of our own would try to scam our people like this.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Never thought that one of our own would try to scam our people like this.

Sadly, there's no such thing as the ignorant claim of "Tsov tsis tom tsov"...because fact is, there are bad apples in every basket from what I've seen...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Back in the early 90's alot of those Hmong home invasion cases were Hmong vs. Hmong so again, no such things as the ignorant claim of "Tsov tsis tom tsov" whether in human or animal form...

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
Remember those Hmong Orgs that had members pool their money, to be used and repaid? I wonder how many individuals fell for that.

Advertisements