Advertisement

Author Topic: Anybody using xcel energy?  (Read 5097 times)

baddabing

Anybody using xcel energy?
« on: February 02, 2017, 06:39:59 PM »
Does your energy bill jump up really high during the winter months too?

Like between April to November your monthly bills would be around 110.00 a month, then during those winter months, it would jump up to 360.00 a month. And that's considered living in a small 3 bedroom house with nobody home most of the day, no kids/people playing games/computer all day/night long, and no washer and dryer in the house too.

I just want to see how everyone else's bills are like compared to mine.

I feel like Xcel is just ripping me off with these winter months bills.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody using xcel energy?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 10:10:27 PM »
Turn down heat to 50 degree when no one is home.

Three bedroom is not a small house.

My house is 2 bed room with a total area of 1,000 sqf.   It costs $150 per month in the winter.  I have a cat so I keep the temperature 60-70 degree all day.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:50:44 AM »
Wow. It typically goes up, but not 300%. Somethings moving that meter. I'd check the thermostat first.

duck, 50 degress?! That's insanely cold to be walking into when you get home from work and all you want to do is be comfortable. I keep mine at about 60-61 degrees and I rarely use the covers when asleep.

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:57:57 AM »
I DO! Yes it does because I have learned that during winter you use  your control on peak demand energy more verse anything else , so that is why it goes up higher than usual.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 08:25:18 PM »

Like between April to November your monthly bills would be around 110.00 a month, then during those winter months, it would jump up to 360.00 a month. And that's considered living in a small 3 bedroom house with nobody home most of the day, no kids/people playing games/computer all day/night long, and no washer and dryer in the house too.

$360 is only for months that are in the below 0 degree temp ranges. Other than that it's around $200-260 and that's with 3 freezers + 1 frig, washer-dryer machines, 30yr old furnace, & gas stove on a rambler house w/5 bedroom. Typical monthly power usage is about 980kWh & 141 therms. Thermostat is @ set up for 75F in the 1st hour of getting out of bed, rest of day is set at steady 70F, & evening 75F.

What is your power usage? If you feel like xcel is ripping you off, have them check your meter. Old meters can be faulty thus, you may get charged wrongly.

Having good insulation in your home like energy efficient windows helps a lot. As for the 50F temp setting, that's a terrible idea to set for homes in cold climate regions. It will cause condensation problems & set too high can cause ceilings to crack.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:49:36 PM by nightrider »

bloggersdigest

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 02:25:34 PM »

I feel like I am being ripped off too, but then hearing you guys have your temps at 50-60 during the winter makes me look like a heat hoarder!
I have mine between 70-72 during the winters.  I have been trying to cut down though as apparently I use more than average compared to my neighbors... OoOops!!  ;D

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
  • Handsome Man's Club Applicant
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 09:58:44 PM »
Drafty windows??

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 11:27:19 AM »
Xcel is a very big rip off.

How does my bill go up in winter time?  I don't even use gas or electric heat?   I have very old home heating fuel.

Then summer time comes...how does my bill even go up during summer's hottest months.  I don't even have A/C and fan is only on when I'm home, rarely again.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Advertisements