Advertisement

Author Topic: meeting people  (Read 21008 times)

demure

meeting people
« on: March 02, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
Hello all. I'm just curious to know...how do single people meet other single people these days?! Losing hope on finding "the one" and reality is starting to set in that I'll have to look outside of the Hmong community.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
Re: meeting people
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 09:02:49 AM »
Friends of friends. That was my personal experience anyway.

demure

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »
It seems to be that's the only way these days. Unfortunately, my social circle isn't as large as it could be. No one has anyone to recommend, especially at my age...the pool just gets smaller and smaller.

Online theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 09:19:14 AM »
Hello all. I'm just curious to know...how do single people meet other single people these days?! Losing hope on finding "the one" and reality is starting to set in that I'll have to look outside of the Hmong community.

Depends on the individual...B esides from the suggestions you may find here, Google is your friend so you can ask it too..as there are too many to list.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 09:21:42 AM »
I can sympathize. I wouldn't fret too much though. Love will happen regardless of if the individual is Hmong or not.

If you are pretty still adamant though, I hear the HND conferences are full of young and single adult professionals. It's just hearsay though so don't hold me to it.

demure

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 09:54:58 AM »
I don't think there's an issue of finding a man and I do believe you can find everlasting companionship outside of the Hmong community however, there is an irreplaceable bond that exists if you find someone of similar background/traditions. I also worry about my parent's acceptance of such a man.  Thanks for the kind words Lexicon! Just didn't know if there was a place I wasn't aware of to find someone of similar interests.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:00:04 AM by demure »

demure

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 10:28:44 AM »
Hi Poison, that's potentially my downfall as well. I'm not so much particular about physicality although that is important to a certain aspect. I do have certain standards of living. By that I mean, he better have a job and bring in some income. I don't need you to make 3 figures cause I certainly don't but you can't be a bum working a part-time job so you can go fishing on your days off and continue living at your parents place cause you don't want to pay rent - that won't fly with me. Cost of living is high and these days dual income is necessary to survive without living in poverty. Is that too much to ask for these days?

Like this post: +1

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 11:13:57 AM »
for a reserved, modest and shy person...and as one who is single and wanting to mingle, 1st step is to get out of your comfort zone.  one should not be a secret agent about wanting to date.  expressing your interest often draws in people who are in the same boat, not only that but certainly, referrals from trusted friends/family, who wants to see you happy.   worst case, one can make new friends as you would do here in PH, who knows you might get lucky and bang one!

"hi, nice to be of your acquaintance!"  now, was that so hard?  lol...j/k.

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

demure

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 11:43:35 AM »
for a reserved, modest and shy person...and as one who is single and wanting to mingle, 1st step is to get out of your comfort zone.  one should not be a secret agent about wanting to date.  expressing your interest often draws in people who are in the same boat, not only that but certainly, referrals from trusted friends/family, who wants to see you happy.   worst case, one can make new friends as you would do here in PH, who knows you might get lucky and bang one!

"hi, nice to be of your acquaintance!"  now, was that so hard?  lol...j/k.

Ha! You make it sound so very easy. Another difficulty is that I don't live in a highly populous  hmong community...I do work a lot so I don't "mingle" like I should and my social life is pretty nonexistent. But I'm definitely open to getting to know more people and if things blossom...then they do!

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 01:00:10 PM »
So youre a female huh??!?

Well right here pick me!!

Anyways I know where youre coming from.

Talking about looking outside the hmong community..

I too would love and still hope to marry a hmong girl and like you said, there really is a special connection when you marry another hmong person...at least toe anyways!  Thats how I feel too.

But anyways!  Brings me to a story!  I was driving back home and I was thinking...yes terday a person was giving a lecture and he had married a different race person..  no big deal...  anyways while I was driving home I was thinking "dang, what if I ended up marrying someone other than a hmong girl?!?!"  I can definately see a possibility of that.  Usually im not where theres alot of hmongs or any at all so its very hard for me to them as well in a face to face.  I was also thinking about how sad Id be!  Yes Id be happy I got married and found someone to love but id be so sad she wasnt a hmong person!  My mom would br sad too!!   

So anyways, thats what I was thinking on the road when I was coming home. 

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 01:39:19 PM »
Pretty much anywhere: socializing with mutual friends, relative parties, church, colleague gatherings, etc...

Magic Mike

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 03:41:32 PM »
Speed dating on PH would be fun.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 03:58:09 PM »
I don't think there's an issue of finding a man and I do believe you can find everlasting companionship outside of the Hmong community however, there is an irreplaceable bond that exists if you find someone of similar background/traditions. I also worry about my parent's acceptance of such a man.  Thanks for the kind words Lexicon! Just didn't know if there was a place I wasn't aware of to find someone of similar interests.

I was in a similar situation so I can give you all the advice (mostly bad) you might need (or regret).

It wasn't until I was out of high school that I had a friend who was Hmong. That's not to say I was missing out on anything, but, like you I grew up away from the larger Hmong communities. I moved, which helped, and I eventually met relatives who introduced me to other people who in turn introduced me to other people and so on and so forth. Of course, I didn't go in looking for Mrs. Right. At that time in my Life I was looking to reconnect with my roots. But, Mrs. Right came into my Life when I least expected. I guess the lesson was stop looking and you'll find whatever you're looking for.

Good luck and I hope at the very least you'll make some new friends in here. It's a start.

Like this post: +1

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 04:13:24 PM »
I'm in the same boat.  I tried online dating.  No white girl would pick me even the ugly ones.  Hardly any Hmong would reply to my messages. 

Over the weekend, I manage to meet a few people through another friend.  Go to events if invited. 

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 07:41:17 PM »

lol

You're asking the wrong crowd in here cause most of us single folks are in similar shoes. Either work too much, no time, no hobby, no going out, no friends, too weird/strange, or just simply incompatible with anyone to want to meet people. Having friends and family does help if they can refer people  but mostly you still need to do the work yourself. The put yourself out there is a very good advice to follow but just simply being out there never works. I believe it will only works if you take the initiative with other folks whom are in the same boat and just hang out at safe trusted place. Get to know each other, build relationships and contacts from there. If you want to gain something important, you will need to drop some of your pride.

Advertisements