Advertisement

Author Topic: Security Cameras  (Read 5324 times)

Offline azn-guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
Security Cameras
« on: March 03, 2017, 05:32:02 PM »
with all these breakin entering and theft going on i need some info about security cameras need a few brand names that are good possibly looking for night vision, wireless ip cameras mostly going to be install outside any info will help thanks.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
Re: Security Cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 01:53:41 PM »
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2475954,00.asp

You have tons of resources online.

Depends on your budget. What are you willing to spend? 1 camera can set you back a couple of bills.

Offline azn-guy

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 06:16:30 PM »
kool thanks i'll check it out, im mainly more looking for ip camera so i can see it through my phone when im out of town, i probably need about 4 cameras i seen a few bundles sales online but the review i see sucks on it, my budget right now is probably $400

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »
Don't know any good brands. But I think when you're selecting camera systems, you should pay more attention to frame rates, resolution, & light sensitivity response.

Redemption

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 12:01:18 AM »
Don't even waste your time with Netgear's Arlo and Arlo Pro wireless cameras. Seriously defeats the purpose of having security cameras. Until wireless becomes more reliable and more battery efficient, go for wired systems.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 03:25:37 AM »
I have some at my dad place.  It is so he can see who is at the door n refuse to open it to certain people. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 08:58:57 AM »
i helped a friend installed an arlo home security, all wireless, hd, and with ease.  seems to be a good security system, under $500.  the only drawback is that it's not monitored by a 3rd party (like ADT or other security companies).

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

the_almighty

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 11:24:52 AM »
I have a Ring door bell up at the front door.  It's very nice.  I like because it has community outreach as well.  My dislikes are the false motion notices by cars driving on the road.  This isn't a knock on the product but the fact that I configured it that way (sensitivity).

I have a Kuna door light above the side garage door.  After buying the product, I don't recommend it.  If  the installation area (old light fixture) is too tall, you won't get notices.  The only nice thing is that you can configure it to turn on the lights automatically in the evenings (it changes with daylight savings).

For the perimeter of the house I have EZVIZ.  It's nice and easy.  You can turn on motion detection to send notifications to your phone as well.  Be prepared for birds, insects, UFO's triggering false notifications. 

The first device I bought was the Ring doorbell.  I bought it for my Amazon purchases.  I can see them being dropped off and it can deter (to some extent) people from taking it.  One day the notification went off and I checked the video.  It was my 3 year old daughter opening the door and walking out to the sidewalk.  A car drove by and she ran back into the house.  I called her mom immediately and asked her if she was watching our daughter.  She said yes, she's right in front of her.  I said check your Ring app on your phone and watch the latest video.  Paranoia set in, hence the purchases of the other devices.

You mainly want to buy cameras from a reputable vendor that will support their devices.  You want them to provide firmware updates ASAP.  For example, with WPA2 being cracked, you want them to be able to provide firmware updates to patch the handshake to the AP.  You don't want your cameras (smart devices) being the weakest part of your network.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:35:44 AM by the_almighty »

Offline azn-guy

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 12:13:06 PM »
i was looking into that ring doorbell camera but i read somehwhere you have to pay monthly for there storage or something?

the_almighty

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 05:35:37 PM »
i was looking into that ring doorbell camera but i read somehwhere you have to pay monthly for there storage or something?
Yes, I did the $30 dollars for the whole year plan.  You don't have to subscribe, you'll still get your door or motion alerts.  The events just won't be retained on the Ring Cloud.  I was sold, with the subscription, during the first free month that I had.  That's when it captured my daughter escaping the house  :o .  $30 bucks for peace of mind . . . easiest $30 bucks I spent that day.  Mileage and experiences will differ between people though :) .

Offline techy

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 08:12:43 PM »
I found Ring to be most reliable and would be my recommendation as of today. 

Wired systems have the disadvantage of needing to run wires (easier said than done on an established home) and takes some technical skills to setup or remote access.  Arlo pro is great and includes 2 way communication as well but you are limited to putting them within a set distance of the Arlo server and by default needs battery replacements every now and then (tedious).

A good compromise is Ring light cam. The light cam, hooks up to your normal light post or you can get the battery version, but is connected thru your wifi.  If you have a mesh wifi or have other extensions, this is the most flexible system.  It comes up every time I wanted to view.  Triggers well with whatever sensitivity you need (from human face only low sensitivity to any motion sensitivity) and have light options/triggers/schedule.  Very easy setup.  it does require a monthly fee but you would rather pay that fee and get dependable service than be frustrated when you can't pull up the video at the moment you need it most.

Advertisements