Advertisement

Author Topic: So I'm Pickling Now  (Read 4063 times)

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
So I'm Pickling Now
« on: March 16, 2017, 04:01:32 PM »
Being the cheap bastard that I am, I decided the best way to preserve greens and veggies was to pickle them during the cold months. Any tips?

My first few batches turned out great. Getting family to trust my new found pickling hobby however isn't working out so well.

I'm going for something more gourmet-ish?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm Pickling Now
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »
I've tried it. Not for me. Not a fan of the texture.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 02:12:21 PM »
Unless you take all the air out I don't like freezing greens.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:32:23 PM »
Sorry Lexi, but "gourmet pickled vegetables" is an oxymoron. Used to be that rich people didn't eat pickled things because pickling was a cheap way of preserving vegetables... And rich people had enough money to buy fresh veggies whenever they wanted.  ;)

Oh, you should try pickling green beans with chili peppers and garlic. My SIL gave me one of her batches and it was good.

:-X Ok, I just really wanted them to appear fancy. Maybe sell them at Whole Foods like they've done with Asparagus Water. Nothing but a few spices (no msg), a variety of greens and other vegetables, and the good ol' Sun.

And yes, I've incorporated herbs into my recipe; green onions, ginger, cilantro/parsley etc. As well, I'm using a dried and grounded version of my mother's peppers as well as the whole peppers. I'm waiting for the warmer months before I continue more testing.

I might not have a culinary background but I have the best qualification for a foodie; I'm fat and I enjoy eating.

Btw, I'm experimenting with spices many Hmong palates are not accustomed to. Yum.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:36:25 PM by lexicon »

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »
I make batches in large bowls. Every Hmoob kitchen pantry has them.

I've pickled with vinegar and spices, and brined with just a mix of various salts. I prefer pickling. I put them in 24oz canning jars and let the magic happen. I pop the lid after 3 days to taste. 5-6 days feels and tastes about right. But, unfortunately  I've eaten and have given away what I've made thus far. I will make more at the end of March. I am waiting for more varieties of vegetables and greens to be available at the farmer's market.

Spice mix varies since I'm still experimenting. But the base is sea salt, garlic salt, garlic powder and apple cider vinegar if Im pickling. I like the flavor profile with apple cider vinegar but it can be overpowering. My first batch made everyone pucker. I might have to add a little bit of sugar once I settle on a recipe. I have an entire spice pantry to get through  ;D before I want to settle.

I do intend to brand them but that's in a conceptual stage at the moment only. I happen to work in marketing so resources are there at my disposal. And last of all, I don't intend to limit myself to food preservation. I already grind my own meats and every meal to me is a culinary experiment, hah!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:48:15 PM by lexicon »

Advertisements