Advertisement

Author Topic: DIY experts... Need your help.  (Read 5380 times)

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
DIY experts... Need your help.
« on: March 31, 2017, 10:46:36 PM »
I just bought a house and the basement has provision for a bathroom.

Here's a pic of the it.

Am I correct to assume that the drain pipe sticking up from the floor is for the sink, the red rubber cover hole is for the toilet and the styrofoam cover square on top is for the shower/bathtub? I don't need the shower/tub so I'll cover that up.
It's weird because the distance between the pipe and red cover hole is only 17" center to center, 14" x-axis and 11" y-axis. There's no way to fit a toilet and sink there? Unless I'm not looking at it correctly.

Anyone here knows?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 04:11:53 PM by Hung_Low »

Like this post: 0
- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Adverstisement

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
  • Handsome Man's Club Applicant
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
Re: DIY experts... Need your help.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
I don't see styrofoam unless you're referring to the darker spot straight above the red circle by the wall. That would be the rough-in for the toilet. The white pipe sticking up is the drain for a sink. Red circle is prob a floor drain.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 08:34:51 PM »
Floor drains usually have concrete slightly leveled at an angle for water to lead to the drain. I live in a old house so I not sure what exactly that red cover is for. It's possible that it's your waste/toilet drain but the only way to find out is to try to open it yourself. 17" is enough room, you may have to position the toilet and sink different for everything to fit.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »
I don't see styrofoam unless you're referring to the darker spot straight above the red circle by the wall. That would be the rough-in for the toilet. The white pipe sticking up is the drain for a sink. Red circle is prob a floor drain.

Yeah, the square looking thing on top of the picture is actually styrofoam, not cement. I didn't open that or the red cover hole yet... but will try to see what's there.

Floor drains usually have concrete slightly leveled at an angle for water to lead to the drain. I live in a old house so I not sure what exactly that red cover is for. It's possible that it's your waste/toilet drain but the only way to find out is to try to open it yourself. 17" is enough room, you may have to position the toilet and sink different for everything to fit.

I can see the only way to fit a sink and a toilet is to position the sink off center since I need at least 15" on either side of the toilet, if the red cover hole is the toilet drain. I'll get a contractor to come in and give me an estimate or a design of it. I'm thinking about doing it myself, finishing the basement and adding a room and bathroom.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

shina

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 06:40:48 PM »
You only need 15 from center of toilet to wall. The pipe can be inside the wall and just route your plumbing to sink.

shina

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 06:43:51 PM »
But make sure you install a vent pipe for your sink or install an AAV under sink

Advertisements