Advertisement

Author Topic: Most Important Community Issues  (Read 11423 times)

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
Most Important Community Issues
« on: April 26, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »
In an effort to talk about less politics, let's debate what are some of the most important Hmong-American community issues.

In your experiences what do you think are important to Hmong community progressing?

In my experiences I believe the Hmong community can improve significantly by having more Hmong professionals in STEM.  The rationales are STEM profession pays a good wage, enables innovation, and teaches sound logical & critical thinking versus tribal thinking.  More Hmong in STEM would allow the Hmong community to improve against poverty, improve against superstition thinking, and enable ventures of great community impact.  To do this, more parents need to encourage a STEM education.  Community organization need to promote the significance of a STEM education.  Somehow a STEM professional organization focus on Hmong students need to be created similar to Hispanic and Black STEM organization.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
Re: Most Important Community Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »
I guess it depends on how you'd define progress. Do we consider cumulative progress or do we narrow our scope?

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 03:17:30 PM »
Stem?  Why do Hmong people have to be in harder fields to succeed?  Why can't they just enjoy success in simpler fields like their white counterparts?

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 03:36:51 PM »
I would rather be a failed engineer than a successful dog walker? White people are known for being Dog Walker's right?

But yeah, personally, failure is momentary. So is success. My endgame is the knowledge I've gained throughout a Lifetime. Pretty selfish, yes.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 03:48:58 PM »
To some people, success is money so they will sell their grandmother if they can get a profit out of it.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »
True. And it's not to say money is unappreciated or isn't important. It doesn't drive me. It helps keep score when you're comparing, sure.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
Stem?  Why do Hmong people have to be in harder fields to succeed?  Why can't they just enjoy success in simpler fields like their white counterparts?

They can and have...

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 07:22:05 PM »
Money is not the end all be all.  With that said, when many members of the Hmong community are struggling and living in poverty, it is important that they earn more money so they can get off government support, and begin to actualize the American dream of buying their own home, taking vacation to experience the world, and so forth.  Money may not be vital to life, but it is critical to experiencing life more fully.

I guess it depends on how you'd define progress. Do we consider cumulative progress or do we narrow our scope?

Progress to me is a better quality of life.  In the post, I said progress is making more money, thinking more rationally, and having a greater impact to the local community.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:25:33 PM by w1s3m0n »

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 07:30:35 PM »
In an effort to talk about less politics, let's debate what are some of the most important Hmong-American community issues.

In your experiences what do you think are important to Hmong community progressing?

In my experiences I believe the Hmong community can improve significantly by having more Hmong professionals in STEM.  The rationales are STEM profession pays a good wage, enables innovation, and teaches sound logical & critical thinking versus tribal thinking.  More Hmong in STEM would allow the Hmong community to improve against poverty, improve against superstition thinking, and enable ventures of great community impact.  To do this, more parents need to encourage a STEM education.  Community organization need to promote the significance of a STEM education.  Somehow a STEM professional organization focus on Hmong students need to be created similar to Hispanic and Black STEM organization.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are already many Hmongs in those fields. We need to teach Hmongs to be self sufficient and not depend on gov't handouts...

Like this post: +1
- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 08:31:34 PM »
Start with hmong supporting hmong but the trust has already been broken once a group of organizer wants to capitalize n make it for profit which then gived the common hmong that im getting used feeling if they go and support. 

What is happening now is the common hmong complaining and compare their value.  Like why should i pay 300bux when i wouldn't even pay that much to go see trump live in person?

My viet people are more reasonable.  Charge a little more to help support and making sure that you get the most value out of the event. 

Go to viet town , mostly viet.  Go to China town, where the viet?  Viet n Chinese should be same chit but not really.  Although my ignorant mind see a Nigerian n Somalian to be same same. 

In other news, first african to play in the mlb today.  Took him 9 years of trying and had a hit on his1st at bat.  History in the making.  Way to go kaydoo.

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 09:32:16 PM »
They can and have...
You obviously didn't understand the point of my line of questioning.  Let me give you a clue. Go look up the word: Erotema. 

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »
You obviously didn't understand the point of my line of questioning.  Let me give you a clue. Go look up the word: Erotema.

You obviously didn't understand your own false claim...

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 10:21:18 AM »
 ;D ;D again..
Thanks for trying.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 11:07:57 AM »
There are already many Hmongs in those fields. We need to teach Hmongs to be self sufficient and not depend on gov't handouts...

I'm shocked by the cogency of this statement.

And I even agree with you to a lesser degree.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 12:17:33 PM »
So then... what have you done to fulfill your statement "We need to teach Hmongs.."

Advertisements