Advertisement

Author Topic: Welfare and government programs  (Read 9518 times)

Dom

Welfare and government programs
« on: May 13, 2017, 08:44:03 AM »
Are they really helping people? Or has it become a way of life?  ???

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
Re: Welfare and government programs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 05:24:47 PM »
I'm a product of welfare and government program.  To me they are effective.  I believe and trust in their purpose, mission and vision.  It comes down to how you measure success.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »
No wonder white folks like Dom are so against welfare. Its helping minorities like you. tsktsk!

can

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »
No wonder white folks like Dom are so against welfare. Its helping minorities like you. tsktsk!
dom at her meetings  :2funny:

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 08:04:06 AM »
Some people rely on it as their sole means of income.
Others need that little bit of assistance to make ends meet.
Then you have those who see it as a free hand out.
And of course your abusers, those who take advantage of the system.

The entire system needs better checks and balances, and truly needs to be reformed. I see it as giving people the fish as opposed to teaching them how to fish, so to speak.

Others may have a different opinion but in the least, they'll have to agree the system is a little broken.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 10:08:57 PM »

To some, it's a life line but to other it's a way of life and to not work.
I believe it should be available but for a limited time only... and when you're on it, the state should give you jobs to do to pay for it. The state could take these able men/women on welfare and give them jobs to clean highways, parks, streets, etc. There are so many jobs that these welfare recipients can do for their checks and will save the state income from hiring people to do these same jobs.

To me, welfare is like giving a man a fish rather then teaching a man to fish. It's also a way to control the poor, minorities, blacks, etc. keep them in line.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 09:32:04 AM »
To some, it's a life line but to other it's a way of life and to not work.
I believe it should be available but for a limited time only... and when you're on it, the state should give you jobs to do to pay for it. The state could take these able men/women on welfare and give them jobs to clean highways, parks, streets, etc. There are so many jobs that these welfare recipients can do for their checks and will save the state income from hiring people to do these same jobs.

To me, welfare is like giving a man a fish rather then teaching a man to fish. It's also a way to control the poor, minorities, blacks, etc. keep them in line.

;D

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »
I'm okay with a bit of reform to it to where after a certain time, they have to show proof that they are working or looking for work, or some other stipulation to show they are using it as a temporary assistance.

So.. maybe like 4 months and then after that you have to show some sort of proof that you are looking for work. 

Or.. they can reduce the income from welfare and instead turn it into providing tickets for public transportation that way people can go to and from certain places like temp agencies.
There's a specific place like 10 minutes from the Lightrail stop near here that hires temp workers like 40 at a time  with a contract up to 1 year.  If you sign up, go to orientation, and pass the background check. you're good to go.

This  might not work in some cities, but here in sac it works out considering it teaches them to know how to use resources (sort of) and it gives them a job while also providing a little assistance.

For some. the biggest difficulty may be transportation . so if they find a way to contract it to help pay for public transportation, that would help. 

----
They have those for students, not sure why its not widely available for non-students.  I believe they call it Federal Work Study.

I have family and friends in the social service fields. It's not as easy as we've made it out to be. Whether it be the overwhelming amount of casework per social worker or the bureaucracy involved with the paperwork. I hear about burnouts quite often.

Blongforever

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 09:53:41 AM »

I live by the old saying:  "pick yourself up by your own bootstraps".  If you can't support a family then you should think and not keep on popping more kids just so you get more public assistance like many Whites, Blacks, Hispanics and Hamungz do.  Government programs are set up with good intention but it becomes bad when you see those kind of leeches trying hard to abuse it and suck the system dry.

Blongforever

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 10:08:43 AM »
dom at her meetings  :2funny:

That's what I'd call:  "A b1tch who only cares about a ****".  As long as she has a d1ck up her aszz, it don't matter if that d1kk is the very dikk that hates existence she would still be smiling like that O0.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 12:11:33 PM »
Just curious.  Are they social workers by job or by profession?

You can be both. But a way to distinguish one from the other is that a social worker by job is often someone who works in social services or has the job title of "social worker" meanwhile someone who's profession is a social worker is someone who has a degree from an accredited college. Often times, our profession is social worker, but our job title is something else

It's definitely not easy and it's definitely more difficult if you haven't gone through the educational courses that provides you with tools to get through it.  One of the things we are taught in school is "self care."  Taking time off to take care of ourselves, de-stress and dis-attach ourselves from the work.

It's way to easy to get attached to our cases and just worn out.

Both. I have friends and family who work for the state of MN, no degrees.

And I have family working for the state of WI, various cities and counties, most if not all with degrees in their respective fields. These individuals have been employed by the state of WI anywhere from 10-30 years. I hear Milwaukee was the cause of many burnouts.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »
I wonder why Milwaukee caused many burnouts.

I imagine there will be a high turnover right in the years to come with trump and co.

Wait. is Milwaukee a red state?  I'd be very interested hearing just how different social work is in a red state compared to a blue state.
lol.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 12:35:44 PM »
MN - They're not hiring the "cream of the crop". It's an issue of manpower and caseload.

WI - Funding. It leads to everything else.

I would say funds on the state level would be a big difference between a red state opposed to a blue state.

But of course, all hearsay.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 12:58:52 PM »
MN sounds like a lot of the nonprofits here.  Hiring people either unfit for the job or lacking qualifications so they can pay the person less.  There's currently a push to make the title of "social work" only for those with accreditation as to not confuse people between the two.  If this is possible.  Maybe it might have some effect on who gets hired.  Of course, having the degree doesn't make you a good social worker or effective social worker.  Still takes years of polishing.  But atleast there's some restriction.

Hmm i see..  I know that funding atleast when it comes to welfare is a major difference between red and blue.

I wonder how they are in terms of work.  I'd imagine the workload is the same, but maybe they are less receptive to work.

This is all assumptions of course;

MN vs WI, it's quantity vs quality. It's different approaches to the same problem.

can

Advertisements