Advertisement

Author Topic: Sad, looks like this Fresno young man had a bright future too  (Read 11947 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Edison High student who drowned was ‘what you would want your kid to be like’

Neng Thao was remembered Sunday as a student and scholar who was “exactly what you would want your kid to be like.”

Thao, a senior at Edison High School, was at the San Joaquin River in northwest Fresno with his family, celebrating an older brother’s graduation from Fresno State, when he went under the water about 4 p.m. Rescue crews recovered his body about two hours later.

Thao, 18, would have graduated in two weeks as a valedictorian with a 4.21 GPA, Edison High Principal Lindsay Sanders said Sunday.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
Re: Sad, looks like this Fresno young man had a bright future too
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 03:31:56 PM »
Sad but no common sense if you can't swim in the 1st place.  Water is dangerous.  My daughter is on her HS swim team for 2 yr and even she won't even dare go swimming anywhere at all.  She will tell you the water is different and too risky. 

Beside I hate some life jacket.  I'm going to invest in those with zipper from bottom to top instead of the buckle or snap one.  I find myself in water floating above but at the same time the life jacket is going to come off from the top of my head. 

I get panaroid when my kids want to swim at the pool or small lake.  It like 24/7 supervision.  If my husband doesn't go with me and the kids then they are not going because 1 eye on 3/4 is impossible.  I also dont invite neighborhood kids or their friends if "water" is where we are going.  I don't want to be responsible.  One reason why my husband refused to buy a house with a pool. 

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:38:08 PM »
Sad but it could have been prevented. How many have to suffer this kind of tragedy before we learn to teach our kids to swim or teach them to be more careful near water?

It happens every Summer.

/rant over

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 03:44:55 PM »
sad but water is no joke......

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 07:45:01 AM »
Let me guess...

This young man grew up being told about dragons that sit underneath the water waiting to getcha! because you're Hmong. This young man also grew up not being able to swim 10 yards to save his life because his parents were scared of Gyrarados, the Pokemon water dragon. Now, this man's demise will cause his family and other families like his to further perpetuate that "It was the dragon! See!", causing more social irresponsibili ty and resulting in preventable drownings for Hmong kids.

I wish I was wrong, but I'm not. If you kidnapped 100 random teenaged white kids and threw them into the deep end of the pool, at least 95 of them will not panic at all and just easily swim to the edge. If you did the same to Hmong kids, it's the exact opposite - 95 of them will panic and probably drown and maybe 5 will be Boy Scout members and they will just easily swim to the edge.

Don't tell me I'm wrong. I know I'm right. It's garbage and this pokemon Gyrarados waiting to grab you at waters edge perpetuated by Hmong folklore is just plain social irresponsibili ty.

Water is dangerous.  My daughter is on her HS swim team for 2 yr and even she won't even dare go swimming anywhere at all.  She will tell you the water is different and too risky.

In MY opinion, that mindset is wrong. Water can be dangerous, yes. But so are sports, fishing, and campfires. There was a freak fire pit accident a few years ago here in Minnesota and a toddler lost both hands and have major scarring around the face and upper body. Does that mean we shouldn't have family campfire and smores? Of course not. Every summer, millions of families make memories that last a lifetime over a campfire. I can't imagine not letting a child enjoy something simply because it is inherently dangerous.

The bottom line is, statistically, your daughter is more likely to die in a car crash while on a ride to her high school, compared to enjoying the waters in the outdoors as opposed to some chlorinated cement pool. I just don't think wrapping yourself in bubble is the solution.

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 08:02:31 AM »
Let me guess...

This young man grew up being told about dragons that sit underneath the water waiting to getcha! because you're Hmong. This young man also grew up not being able to swim 10 yards to save his life because his parents were scared of Gyrarados, the Pokemon water dragon. Now, this man's demise will cause his family and other families like his to further perpetuate that "It was the dragon! See!", causing more social irresponsibili ty and resulting in preventable drownings for Hmong kids.

I wish I was wrong, but I'm not. If you kidnapped 100 random teenaged white kids and threw them into the deep end of the pool, at least 95 of them will not panic at all and just easily swim to the edge. If you did the same to Hmong kids, it's the exact opposite - 95 of them will panic and probably drown and maybe 5 will be Boy Scout members and they will just easily swim to the edge.

Don't tell me I'm wrong. I know I'm right. It's garbage and this pokemon Gyrarados waiting to grab you at waters edge perpetuated by Hmong folklore is just plain social irresponsibili ty.
the story goes...he was too smart for his own good, valedictorian book smart but lacked any street smarts.  if you can't swim or don't know how to...should stay away from the water, regardless.  this sounds insensitive but common sense would have told you so.  the dragon story would be true as I've also heard a man was fishing on his boat, sees a wallet floating on top of the water, as he reached over the bow of his boat and grabs it....'MAG MAN YER' screamed the whitebass

in all seriousness... it is a tragic lost, he attended my alma mater, seems to be a bright kid with lots of potential (due to his GPA).  reminds me of a friend in high school, grade A student who helped me with homework and studies.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:10:48 AM by ZDN »

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 05:32:29 PM »
I know that playing sports is dangerous too.

Car accident...... . you can't prevent or avoid it.  You can only blamed the person behind the wheel for their reckless behavior.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:25:20 PM by SummerBerry »

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 05:33:50 PM »
Don't let this those Hmong garage myths stop you. 

gwenhyfara

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 05:43:13 PM »
What a tragedy. Zaj or no zaj, swimming skills or not, I think most can agree that it's a shame he died so young and for no good reason.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 06:59:23 PM »
If there is a zaj, there now is a smart zaj. 

I lost my friend at the young age to drowning.  Im still never over it.

Rip n speedy recover to the living.

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 09:18:05 PM »
Don't let this those Hmong garage myths stop you.

Unfortunately too many still ignorantly believe in those "Hmong garage myths" ... :idiot2:

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 12:37:49 AM »
The snow pack in the Sierra is something like 200% of normal this year so that kind of snow melt can cause faster water current..

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:30:45 AM by theking »

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 01:16:55 AM »
People need to read current condition and pay attentionto signed posted.     

It shouldn't stop anyone from exploring the outdoors or being near water.

Hmong always have something to say for every little situation.  It's why they would talk about the dragon or zaj stuffs all the time.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:39:40 AM by SummerBerry »

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 01:30:11 AM »
Sad tale like all others.
I don't think you need any street smarts to be aware of the water.  Common sense as in setting egos aside.  Even the strongest of swimmers will lose to rapid waters.
Doesn't matter how strong you are, eventually a combination of things will shut down your body; temperature, exhaustion, mental toughness, etc.  Heck, the moment you lose your mental toughness and panic. It's game over. 

Not knowing how to swim and going in is more bullheaded.
When I was younger, probably your daughter's age. I used to hate swimming in pools, they felt like they were slowing me down while I swam compared to swimming in the lake and river.  Now that I stop going as much. I can't swim as strong (not that I was strong to begin with).  But these days I would agree, water is dangerous and I would much rather swim in a pool than in river or lake unless it's like 5-6 feet where I can touch the ground. I've grown accustomed to needing some sort of "safety net" before doing something potentially life threatening so a pool works since I know I can get back to the edge.

I go rafting along the American River and to be honest,  unless you are against rapids ( San Juan Rapids). You don't really need to zip or buckle (adults that is).
Assuming you can swim a little, as long as you are just floating, you can just have it under your arms.  I usually just do that.  But if it's near rapids, yea I would rather use the zip up than the buckle.  So it's all about what you are doing.

The pool look like the safest.  There are still danger of just running around, slipping, etc.  You can't keep your eyes on 3-6 kids.  You have one who just sit on the step, you have one who is constantly jumping  into the pool, you got one who just swim from one end to the other. 

I'm going to invest in zipper life jacket which is better fit. 

I'm scared of rafting in high rapid current.   

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 06:18:08 PM »
Very sad and a terrible loss for the family. Going for a swim is always risky. Those that over estimate themselves are the ones likely to drown. I believe he is not one to think like that but made a fetal mistake to go for swim.

Advertisements