Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 year old Hmong girl drowns (Lake Elmo, MN)  (Read 7101 times)

HUNG TU LO

6 year old Hmong girl drowns (Lake Elmo, MN)
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:42:11 PM »
http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/05/6-year-old-who-drowned-at-lake-elmo-park-lake-idd/

Well, well, well. If only she knew how to swim as well as the other 6 year old white girls next to her. So sad.

Let me guess...

This young man grew up being told about dragons that sit underneath the water waiting to getcha! because you're Hmong. This young man also grew up not being able to swim 10 yards to save his life because his parents were scared of Gyrarados, the Pokemon water dragon. Now, this man's demise will cause his family and other families like his to further perpetuate that "It was the dragon! See!", causing more social irresponsibili ty and resulting in preventable drownings for Hmong kids.

I wish I was wrong, but I'm not. If you kidnapped 100 random teenaged white kids and threw them into the deep end of the pool, at least 95 of them will not panic at all and just easily swim to the edge. If you did the same to Hmong kids, it's the exact opposite - 95 of them will panic and probably drown and maybe 5 will be Boy Scout members and they will just easily swim to the edge.

Don't tell me I'm wrong. I know I'm right. It's garbage and this pokemon Gyrarados waiting to grab you at waters edge perpetuated by Hmong folklore is just plain social irresponsibili ty.

Sure, irresponsible parenting was the main culprit in this case. But there is something pathologically wrong when white people make up over 70% of the Minnesota population and thousands of white people go to Twin Cities, MN beaches every weekend and yet, they drown less per 100,000 capita rate than Hmong people, who make up only 1% of the population.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
Re: 6 year old Hmong girl drowns (Lake Elmo, MN)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 03:31:16 PM »
http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/05/6-year-old-who-drowned-at-lake-elmo-park-lake-idd/

Well, well, well. If only she knew how to swim as well as the other 6 year old white girls next to her. So sad.

Sure, irresponsible parenting was the main culprit in this case. But there is something pathologically wrong when white people make up over 70% of the Minnesota population and thousands of white people go to Twin Cities, MN beaches every weekend and yet, they drown less per 100,000 capita rate than Hmong people, who make up only 1% of the population.

I've taken Meskas kids with my kids to the pool, lake, etc.  I will tell you they know how to swim but I'm still responsible for watching them.  With Hmong......... I don't know because we keep hearing drowning here and there. 

I took my daughter to take some graduation photo near the creek/bridge.  A baby in a stroller fell right into the creek.  Lucky that creek was not deep like the one by my house. Their parents and others was too busy catching fish.  Creek are hard to climb back out if it was 3-5 feet deep because it is so muddy. 

fOrEvEr_sUn_76

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 03:52:14 PM »
Wow, I'm guessing the life guards must had been sleeping on the job. :police: It's a swimming pond so that means there's going to be kids and people swimming there and for people to be able to swim there at all there has to be life guards on duty.

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:05:07 AM »
Wow, I'm guessing the life guards must had been sleeping on the job. :police: It's a swimming pond so that means there's going to be kids and people swimming there and for people to be able to swim there at all there has to be life guards on duty.

The Lake Elmo beach this poor girl drowned at won't have active life guards until two more weeks, according to one of the news articles I read. It makes total sense, if you live in Minnesota most of your life. In 2013, the first weekend of May was the Wisconsin fishing opener and there was 4" of snow. In 2015, the Minnesota fishing opener in mid-May was in the 30F's and there was still ice on some lakes - lakes were still cold in mid-June. This year, the Minnesota fishing opener on weekend of May 13 was in the 40F's in the morning. And then in 2016, by late-March, the weather was so hot, cars and ice fishing houses were falling through the ice like crazy. We never know when the beach weather actually sets in so counties can't just go posting lifeguard job positions just because it's Memorial weekend.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 12:33:55 AM »
Most drownings that involve young children happen because there is no adult supervision. Even if this little girl knew how to swim, statistics show that unless she is a competent swimmer her chances of drowning are even higher. Which is why adults need to mind their children at all times.

Those who have fair swimming skills get over confident and will enter water where they're not suppose to. Open water is extremely dangerous because you just can't foresee the undercurrent.

I just hate adults who are too relaxed on the shore and don't keep an eye on their kids when they know full well that their children are not competent swimmers.

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »
Even if this little girl knew how to swim, statistics show that unless she is a competent swimmer her chances of drowning are even higher.

Those who have fair swimming skills get over confident and will enter water where they're not suppose to.

You're taking the marginal cases and making it as general. Can an advanced swimmer drown? Of course and as you say, this is usually because they overestimated how far and how long they could swim. But this is marginal and extreme. Under no circumstances would it ever be reasonable to say someone has too much swimming skill. Would you ever say a person has too much firearm knowledge and skill? No, it's not reasonable because most accidental discharge usually involves younger people who are curious and have no knowledge about firearms.

If you haven't heard, there was another Lake Elmo drowning just a week ago, this time a 27 year old Hmong man: http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/16/lake-elmo-drowning-victim-identified-as-woodbury-man/

(I didn't want to post a new topic because I'm getting sick and tired of these preventable drownings)

If that Fresno and this Lake Elmo Hmong man knew just how to front stroke 10 yards and were comfortable enough in the water to not panic just because their feet can't touch the bottom, I think their chances of survival would've been greatly increased. Had the six year old girl knew how to do a pitiful doggy paddle, I think she wouldn't have drowned. In all three of these recent cases of Hmong drownings, ALL THREE OF THEM HAD ZERO SWIMMING SKILLS. I can't recall ever hearing of a recent Hmong drowning that happened even though they knew how to swim. It's always because of a lack of swimming skill.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:36:49 AM by HUNG TU LO »

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 01:28:54 AM »
You're taking the marginal cases and making it as general. Can an advanced swimmer drown? Of course and as you say, this is usually because they overestimated how far and how long they could swim. But this is marginal and extreme. Under no circumstances would it ever be reasonable to say someone has too much swimming skill. Would you ever say a person has too much firearm knowledge and skill? No, it's not reasonable because most accidental discharge usually involves younger people who are curious and have no knowledge about firearms.

If you haven't heard, there was another Lake Elmo drowning just a week ago, this time a 27 year old Hmong man: http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/16/lake-elmo-drowning-victim-identified-as-woodbury-man/

(I didn't want to post a new topic because I'm getting sick and tired of these preventable drownings)

If that Fresno and this Lake Elmo Hmong man knew just how to front stroke 10 yards and were comfortable enough in the water to not panic just because their feet can't touch the bottom, I think their chances of survival would've been greatly increased. Had the six year old girl knew how to do a pitiful doggy paddle, I think she wouldn't have drowned. In all three of these recent cases of Hmong drownings, ALL THREE OF THEM HAD ZERO SWIMMING SKILLS. I can't recall ever hearing of a recent Hmong drowning that happened even though they knew how to swim. It's always because of a lack of swimming skill.

My comment was in reference to the 6-year-old girl. It doesn't matter how competent she could have been because you can't expect a 6-year-old to make a good judgment call. My point is that she still needed adult supervision.

All these drownings happened because in every case the victims overestimated their abilities. You don't need swimming lessons in order to prevent drowning. If you don't know how to swim then don't go near water, especially without a flotation device.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 07:28:38 PM »
My comment was in reference to the 6-year-old girl. It doesn't matter how competent she could have been because you can't expect a 6-year-old to make a good judgment call. My point is that she still needed adult supervision.

All these drownings happened because in every case the victims overestimated their abilities. You don't need swimming lessons in order to prevent drowning. If you don't know how to swim then don't go near water, especially without a flotation device.

I took my niece and nephew swimming this past weekend and I still kept an eye on them even though they are both over 10. 11 and 13 to be exact... we were at a big lake.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Advertisements