Advertisement

Author Topic: Teachers  (Read 4310 times)

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
Teachers
« on: June 08, 2017, 09:48:28 AM »
Just curious.

Do you emphasize knowing the answer or understanding the answer?

e.g.

Someone may know plants use photosynthesis to synthesize food, but they may not know or understand what the process of photosynthesis is.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:49:56 AM by lexicon »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
Re: Teachers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 10:10:08 AM »
When you teach photosynthesis, you teach the process.  You don't need the know the molecular structure of the enzymes but you at least know the process and the players. 

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »
It's situation specific!

Sometimes you just need to know the meat and potatoes!

Sometimes you need to know the process!

Sometimes you need to know the why!

Etc etc etc..

I was once a kind of a teacher.

I was teaching a class and my student's didn't need to know the in's and outs of the whole process of a certain thing.

I just taught them what to do.  Do this, then this, then this, then this, then this.  If this happens then you do this, then this, then this.

I didn't even teach them the Don't do's.  Why?  They don't need to know them.  There specific job is perform something specific, they just need to know how to do it. 

Now sometimes when I taught stuff for student's that had to take a test then I'd teach them the process of why this is done, or that is done, or how thing's are related and interact, etc etc so they have a good understanding so when they take a test or they have to explain to other's so they have a better understanding so they know what is done and what isn't done. 

Just look at what your student's needs are!   Just really based on what the student needs to perform.  And tailor your teaching like so!

For example the difference between a grandmother taking a cpr course at church vs a respiratory tech..

All the grandmother need to know is how to do cpr because her job is to save a life.

The respiratory tech job is also to save a life but to manage the breathing too and all sorts of other stuff I'm sure.

So the grannie she don't need to know the in's and outs of heart and lung functions... she just need to know 30 compressions to 2 breaths(is that right?! I don't know) and keep doing that till help arrives.

The respiratory tech need to know well a buncha stuff because he/she requires more skills to manage that breathing. 

So like I said, it's just based on the student's needs.

And if you're really concern, you should do the "If anyone would like to talk more about it see me after class."

Yes folks it's that simple!

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 09:11:17 PM »
Most high schools teach "knowing the answer." Just most.

It is at the college level that students are to be taught "understanding the answer." But yet many colleges teach  just "knowing the answer" as well. Some do. Yes, they do.

Just curious.

Do you emphasize knowing the answer or understanding the answer?

e.g.

Someone may know plants use photosynthesis to synthesize food, but they may not know or understand what the process of photosynthesis is.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:13:22 PM by Reporter »

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 05:50:33 PM »
The child development stages should be considered too since specific age group wasn't mention.. like these: sensorimotor, preoperational, concrete, and formal.

Advertisements