Advertisement

Author Topic: Last names....  (Read 12283 times)

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Last names....
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:42:39 PM »
So anyways, the other day me and some folks was talking about last names...

And this lady said her grand daughter's last name is sooooooooooooo ooo long.....

She said her grand daughter's last name and it was like.. I couldn't even believe it...

I've notice some hmongs are doing that too... keeping their moms and dads last name and their grand dad's and grand ma's first name and some more last names....   

I mean... c'mon folks... why limit your dating pool like that!

Like this post: 0
I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Adverstisement

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
Re: Last names....
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 10:14:22 PM »

And this lady said her grand daughter's last name is sooooooooooooo ooo long.....

She said her grand daughter's last name and it was like.. I couldn't even believe it...

I've notice some hmongs are doing that too... keeping their moms and dads last name and their grand dad's and grand ma's first name and some more last names....   

Hmong are dumb... trying to make themselves like Laos or Thai.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 03:24:28 PM »
It doesn't hurt to preserve one's family's names.

In the past, we didn't know we could do that. So, all we could do was adding our grandfathers or fathers' names to ours just orally. Then back on paper, we would not have them on.

These days, we are able to legally put on paper whatever we want to affiliate with.

Nothing bad and nothing wrong with that.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 03:45:51 PM »
It doesn't hurt to preserve one's family's names.

In the past, we didn't know we could do that. So, all we could do was adding our grandfathers or fathers' names to ours just orally. Then back on paper, we would not have them on.

These days, we are able to legally put on paper whatever we want to affiliate with.

Nothing bad and nothing wrong with that.

Depends. Changing someone's name doesn't change their DNA. Even some of our ancestors understood the need for genetic diversity at the most basic level. Legally you may find it works. But Science trumps Law in this case.

Isn't there a folklore about how the Kue clan came about? 2 individuals with the same last names (Thao?) were in love and he changed his last name to Kue. And to this date Thao's can't marry Kue's?

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 03:49:19 PM »
I thought it was mainly the Moua folks that do that to distinguish themselves from their peers?

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 03:57:58 PM »

Depends. Traditionally, last names are only passed on through the men of the family as the wife will take the husband's family's last name.

Besides, you're already limiting your dating pool by dating within the Hmong community to begin with.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 03:59:58 PM »
I thought it was mainly the Moua folks that do that to distinguish themselves from their peers?

I've seen immediate family do it. They've legally changed their last names to names of an ancestor/progenitor.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 01:51:07 PM »
Those who change are keeping the original last name in those syllables. For example, a Yajtxawjpov is a Yang; a Muaszebtsua is a Moua, a Xyoojtawdais is a Xiong, a Lortsomtom is a Lor/Lo still.

Depends. Changing someone's name doesn't change their DNA. Even some of our ancestors understood the need for genetic diversity at the most basic level. Legally you may find it works. But Science trumps Law in this case.

Isn't there a folklore about how the Kue clan came about? 2 individuals with the same last names (Thao?) were in love and he changed his last name to Kue. And to this date Thao's can't marry Kue's?

Like this post: +1
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 02:05:53 PM »
Those who change are keeping the original last name in those syllables. For example, a Yajtxawjpov is a Yang; a Muaszebtsua is a Moua, a Xyoojtawdais is a Xiong, a Lortsomtom is a Lor/Lo still.
  I think those who do it are being silly, but that's just me.  I guess, this is one way to resolve that same last name don't get married issue that's been plaguing our youth.

Like this post: +1

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 02:11:55 PM »
If I change my last name to nou yang, they be like......too much of that Hmong Kool laid for this kid.

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 02:58:23 PM »

I have relatives who have completely changed their family names. They've taken an ancestor's first name and have replaced their family name with it. They were first cousins but now are Youasee because that was the ancestor's name. I was told it was done to honor him. But who knows  :dontknow:

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 07:12:52 PM »
What ever floats their boat, I guess. But the general public don't care, they still prefer simple first and last names. I think if people truly want to show and honor their ancestors, people should create a family tree instead of incorporating their ancestors names into theirs. It's just stupid and silly, especially when your last name is up to 5-10 names and growing down the road.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 12:37:03 PM »
It's like "Oh, we can date because you're a Moua and I'm a Mouanoutua".  O0

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 02:37:35 PM »
It's like "Oh, we can date because you're a Moua and I'm a Mouanoutua".  O0
No, you're still a Moua and after the moua identifies the family you're from, i.e father's name.  So, I would be a YangPajnou..ex ample.

I don't mind a minor changes like the example you have but drastic changes to where I can't figure out the last name -   Ex: Xiong to Zhong.

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 04:29:32 PM »
It shouldn't really bother anyone. If anything, all Hmong-American people should come together and agree that we should all take a European first name if you don't have one, and change our last name spelling to better reflect what our surnames really sound like, as well as making pronunciation easier for non-Hmong people.

For example, Yang? Why not change it to "Ya"? Why not change the writing of Moua to Mua (which I have seen, like Yia "the Bull" Mua, RIP).

"Hi, I'd like to speak to (looks at paper)...Chris Ya, please." Certainly much easier for a non-Hmong, rather than to fumble with calling to speak with Toua Xiong. "Hi I'd like to speak to...Tow, Tow-a, Zi....ong?" And that would actually be commendable if a white or black person nailed it the first time. Most likely, it would come out something silly like "Too Shing" or "Tao Shine".

Bottom line is, your surname is written in Romanized form as best as the social workers and government could when they were getting ready to ship Hmong refugees over there. The fact that you would change your legal last name shouldn't mean anything. Even if someone decides to completely remove their surname so that it no longer includes a 18 clan surname, big deal. Maybe they don't want to associate with their clan any longer. Maybe they don't want to be tied down by ideas that if you're a clan name, you are bound by anything and everything any person of that last name does - Chai Vang, anyone? I can guarantee almost any white person sees that Vang surname, they ARE thinking if you are related to Chai Vang the cold blooded murder may god have mercy on his soul.

Advertisements