Advertisement

Author Topic: Last names....  (Read 12291 times)

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
Re: Last names....
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 07:52:09 AM »
People have their reasons for changing their names. Many immigrants did so when they first landed on Ellis Island many decades ago. There's no right or wrong reasons. But, I personally wouldn't change my name for just some trivial reasons. If The German Pfeiffer's, the Norwegian Bjorn's and the Thai Thannasasasopr et's can live with their names, so can the Hmong Thao's, Yang's, Vang's and etc.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 08:53:57 AM »
It shouldn't really bother anyone. If anything, all Hmong-American people should come together and agree that we should all take a European first name if you don't have one, and change our last name spelling to better reflect what our surnames really sound like, as well as making pronunciation easier for non-Hmong people.

For example, Yang? Why not change it to "Ya"? Why not change the writing of Moua to Mua (which I have seen, like Yia "the Bull" Mua, RIP).

"Hi, I'd like to speak to (looks at paper)...Chris Ya, please." Certainly much easier for a non-Hmong, rather than to fumble with calling to speak with Toua Xiong. "Hi I'd like to speak to...Tow, Tow-a, Zi....ong?" And that would actually be commendable if a white or black person nailed it the first time. Most likely, it would come out something silly like "Too Shing" or "Tao Shine".

Bottom line is, your surname is written in Romanized form as best as the social workers and government could when they were getting ready to ship Hmong refugees over there. The fact that you would change your legal last name shouldn't mean anything. Even if someone decides to completely remove their surname so that it no longer includes a 18 clan surname, big deal. Maybe they don't want to associate with their clan any longer. Maybe they don't want to be tied down by ideas that if you're a clan name, you are bound by anything and everything any person of that last name does - Chai Vang, anyone? I can guarantee almost any white person sees that Vang surname, they ARE thinking if you are related to Chai Vang the cold blooded murder may god have mercy on his soul.
Well, you know.. Some people wanna be as white (or European) as possible, while others still cherish their identity.

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:36 AM »
People have their reasons for changing their names. Many immigrants did so when they first landed on Ellis Island many decades ago. There's no right or wrong reasons. But, I personally wouldn't change my name for just some trivial reasons. If The German Pfeiffer's, the Norwegian Bjorn's and the Thai Thannasasasopr et's can live with their names, so can the Hmong Thao's, Yang's, Vang's and etc.

Currently this is my last name, Chevapravatdum rongLouangsays onkhamsoukha  ;D I'm thinking about shorten it to Che  :D

Like this post: +1
I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 10:01:16 AM »
Well, you know.. Some people wanna be as white (or European) as possible, while others still cherish their identity.

So I wasn't the only one that caught that  ???

I was like, conformnity, pft. I'm not going to change my name just to sound more "European".

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 10:02:42 AM »
Some of us has passed that stage.  Others are still exploring it. Each person is at a different stage in life.  Results may vary.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 10:05:07 AM »
Currently this is my last name, ChevapravatdumrongLouangsaysonkhamsoukha  ;D I'm thinking about shorten it to Che  :D

I would have gone with Ronglou  ;D

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »
I like Cheva better.

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 11:43:20 PM »
It shouldn't really bother anyone. If anything, all Hmong-American people should come together and agree that we should all take a European first name if you don't have one, and change our last name spelling to better reflect what our surnames really sound like, as well as making pronunciation easier for non-Hmong people.

For example, Yang? Why not change it to "Ya"? Why not change the writing of Moua to Mua (which I have seen, like Yia "the Bull" Mua, RIP).

"Hi, I'd like to speak to (looks at paper)...Chris Ya, please." Certainly much easier for a non-Hmong, rather than to fumble with calling to speak with Toua Xiong. "Hi I'd like to speak to...Tow, Tow-a, Zi....ong?" And that would actually be commendable if a white or black person nailed it the first time. Most likely, it would come out something silly like "Too Shing" or "Tao Shine".

Bottom line is, your surname is written in Romanized form as best as the social workers and government could when they were getting ready to ship Hmong refugees over there. The fact that you would change your legal last name shouldn't mean anything. Even if someone decides to completely remove their surname so that it no longer includes a 18 clan surname, big deal. Maybe they don't want to associate with their clan any longer. Maybe they don't want to be tied down by ideas that if you're a clan name, you are bound by anything and everything any person of that last name does - Chai Vang, anyone? I can guarantee almost any white person sees that Vang surname, they ARE thinking if you are related to Chai Vang the cold blooded murder may god have mercy on his soul.

Other than the point about standardizing the last names spelling,,, wow, everything else, especially the part about dropping hmong names and taking up english/american names (so that a black or white can relate to and pronounce easier) is just terrible. Just wow. What the heck is going on in your head that made you suggest such stupidity.

Your european name is probably Thomas, short form Tom, taken from uncle Tom.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:52:28 PM by YeejKoob13 »

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 02:28:06 PM »
Other than the point about standardizing the last names spelling,,, wow, everything else, especially the part about dropping hmong names and taking up english/american names (so that a black or white can relate to and pronounce easier) is just terrible. Just wow. What the heck is going on in your head that made you suggest such stupidity.

Your european name is probably Thomas, short form Tom, taken from uncle Tom.

First of all, I don't have an English/European name because I was born in the early 1980s and I grew up in St, Paul McDonough Homes project late 1980s era so English birth names weren't common yet. Secondly, nearly every Hmong old person I know who has gotten their US citizenship has taken up a legal English name. Does that mean they are less Hmong or they are stupid? Ok, so according to your logic, there are tons of dumb Hmong old folks for legally changing their name because their npe laus would be insanely ridiculous on their driver's license and legal paper work.

Assuming Yeeb Kong is your real name, how many of your friends actually call you according to the Hmong pronunciation "Yeeb Koob"? I bet not too many. I bet the majority of them calls you "Yeng Kong", the Anglicized form. I guess Samuel L. Jackson, the actor, must be a dumb idiot because his name isn't according to his African Tribe.

Ok, I'll stop here so I don't make you appear more of an idiot than you already have yourself.

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 10:39:59 AM »
First of all, I don't have an English/European name because I was born in the early 1980s and I grew up in St, Paul McDonough Homes project late 1980s era so English birth names weren't common yet. Secondly, nearly every Hmong old person I know who has gotten their US citizenship has taken up a legal English name. Does that mean they are less Hmong or they are stupid? Ok, so according to your logic, there are tons of dumb Hmong old folks for legally changing their name because their npe laus would be insanely ridiculous on their driver's license and legal paper work.

Assuming Yeeb Kong is your real name, how many of your friends actually call you according to the Hmong pronunciation "Yeeb Koob"? I bet not too many. I bet the majority of them calls you "Yeng Kong", the Anglicized form. I guess Samuel L. Jackson, the actor, must be a dumb idiot because his name isn't according to his African Tribe.

Ok, I'll stop here so I don't make you appear more of an idiot than you already have yourself.

1) You don't know the term "npe laus" and have it confused for something else, like perhaps npe hmoob or npe qub.

2) and nearly "every old hmong" you know who have american citizenships have legally changed their names to an american/english/euro? I call major BS on your part here. Either that or your circle of people consists of 2-3 people only.

3) whether or not whites, blacks, others can pronounce my name accurately, the point is that my name is still my name (hmong name) and they still have to try saying it. I'm not changing it to an american, english, euro, other just because, a) to make it convenient for their tongues, b) embarrassed or ashamed of my identity (which includes names), c) insecure of myself and have to conform.

4) You suggest all hmong should take up american/eng/euro names, but you yourself don't have one? Hard to believe here. Maybe you don't have a legal non-hmong name, but your nick or the name used at work probably is.

5) those hmong who have changed their names are likely insecure, ignorant, or for some other reasons think they may assimilate in and find jobs easier, etc, but at least they did so on a personal basis, small scale. You on the other hand suggest for all hmong to do so. That takes it to a different level of stupid.

Have some pride, have some balls, and be proud of your heritage. Nowadays Asia is rising. Look at the big picture. Whites/americans/others are having to learn different languages. You don't have to be afraid or embarrassed anymore.

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 09:15:40 PM »
This guy is something thinking he can patronize me. Don't tell me how I need to feel about social issues or imply that I'm Uncle Tom. I put where I grew up - I grew up in the mid 80s on the 15xx block of Klainert Street in St. Paul McDonough projects. I'm not telling you this to show that I'm hot stuff, that I'm the true Hmong prince or whatever. That's you, you think you're hot Hmong boy. I'm saying this to show you that I was never embarrassed of my upbringing and growing up surrounded by Hmong people. If I was embarrassed of being Hmong, why would I tell the whole forum that I grew up in the projects with 100s of other Hmong families taking it day by day? So what zip code and neighborhood did you grow up in? Probably some suburb and had a comfy child seat in a Toyota 4Runner. Or maybe some 2,000 sq ft single family home. Take a seat before you hurt yourself. I bet when you meet Hmong people in public who don't fit your standard, you get real quiet. So don't act like you're vigilante Hmong purity soldier.

You are just like those bitter white people who are mad that I have a Hmong name, I look Asian as shiit, I eat more rice than you I bet, and yet I am an American citizen just like they are. You are bitter that Hmong people who become Christians, branch out of their clans, or choose not to participate in the Hmong community, still have pride and are still as Hmong as you are.

Deal with it. Take some yoga or breathing classes. You need to watch that blood pressure and stress.

can

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »
1) You don't know the term "npe laus" and have it confused for something else, like perhaps npe hmoob or npe qub.

2) and nearly "every old hmong" you know who have american citizenships have legally changed their names to an american/english/euro? I call major BS on your part here. Either that or your circle of people consists of 2-3 people only.

3) whether or not whites, blacks, others can pronounce my name accurately, the point is that my name is still my name (hmong name) and they still have to try saying it. I'm not changing it to an american, english, euro, other just because, a) to make it convenient for their tongues, b) embarrassed or ashamed of my identity (which includes names), c) insecure of myself and have to conform.

4) You suggest all hmong should take up american/eng/euro names, but you yourself don't have one? Hard to believe here. Maybe you don't have a legal non-hmong name, but your nick or the name used at work probably is.

5) those hmong who have changed their names are likely insecure, ignorant, or for some other reasons think they may assimilate in and find jobs easier, etc, but at least they did so on a personal basis, small scale. You on the other hand suggest for all hmong to do so. That takes it to a different level of stupid.

Have some pride, have some balls, and be proud of your heritage. Nowadays Asia is rising. Look at the big picture. Whites/americans/others are having to learn different languages. You don't have to be afraid or embarrassed anymore.

hung too is like the one black guy at trump rallies.  :2funny: :idiot2:

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »
hung too is like the one black guy at trump rallies.  :2funny: :idiot2:

At least YANG KONG stayed on subject. Don't you have an ugly tattoo to go get or something? Wow, that's not very Hmong-like. How can you call yourself a Hmong when historically, Hmong people associate tattoos with deviant behavior? Very interesting that you and Yang Kong get to decide what is Hmong and who is and who isn't Hmong enough.

can

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 01:17:03 PM »
At least YANG KONG stayed on subject. Don't you have an ugly tattoo to go get or something? Wow, that's not very Hmong-like. How can you call yourself a Hmong when historically, Hmong people associate tattoos with deviant behavior? Very interesting that you and Yang Kong get to decide what is Hmong and who is and who isn't Hmong enough.
don't get mad at me cause you don't want to be hmong  :2funny: :idiot2:

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
This guy is something thinking he can patronize me. Don't tell me how I need to feel about social issues or imply that I'm Uncle Tom. I put where I grew up - I grew up in the mid 80s on the 15xx block of Klainert Street in St. Paul McDonough projects. I'm not telling you this to show that I'm hot stuff, that I'm the true Hmong prince or whatever. That's you, you think you're hot Hmong boy. I'm saying this to show you that I was never embarrassed of my upbringing and growing up surrounded by Hmong people. If I was embarrassed of being Hmong, why would I tell the whole forum that I grew up in the projects with 100s of other Hmong families taking it day by day? So what zip code and neighborhood did you grow up in? Probably some suburb and had a comfy child seat in a Toyota 4Runner. Or maybe some 2,000 sq ft single family home. Take a seat before you hurt yourself. I bet when you meet Hmong people in public who don't fit your standard, you get real quiet. So don't act like you're vigilante Hmong purity soldier.

You are just like those bitter white people who are mad that I have a Hmong name, I look Asian as shiit, I eat more rice than you I bet, and yet I am an American citizen just like they are. You are bitter that Hmong people who become Christians, branch out of their clans, or choose not to participate in the Hmong community, still have pride and are still as Hmong as you are.

Deal with it. Take some yoga or breathing classes. You need to watch that blood pressure and stress.

That was weak, Thomas.

If you aren't embarrassed then why do you want to change your name for (and justifying it with your Sept 13th post)?

On many subjects all you're concerned about is "saving face" or being embarrassed that Hmong are bringing you down along with them, such as the Cai Vaj subject, because you assume they are ignorant, when in fact it's your Uncle Tom position which blinds you.

Still waiting for your definition of ethnicity (in a different thread, but similar subject, from months back) in which you ran off from when you realized you were going to look bad.

Advertisements