Advertisement

Author Topic: Last names....  (Read 12293 times)

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Re: Last names....
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »
This guy is something thinking he can patronize me. Don't tell me how I need to feel about social issues or imply that I'm Uncle Tom. I put where I grew up - I grew up in the mid 80s on the 15xx block of Klainert Street in St. Paul McDonough projects. I'm not telling you this to show that I'm hot stuff, that I'm the true Hmong prince or whatever. That's you, you think you're hot Hmong boy. I'm saying this to show you that I was never embarrassed of my upbringing and growing up surrounded by Hmong people. If I was embarrassed of being Hmong, why would I tell the whole forum that I grew up in the projects with 100s of other Hmong families taking it day by day? So what zip code and neighborhood did you grow up in? Probably some suburb and had a comfy child seat in a Toyota 4Runner. Or maybe some 2,000 sq ft single family home. Take a seat before you hurt yourself. I bet when you meet Hmong people in public who don't fit your standard, you get real quiet. So don't act like you're vigilante Hmong purity soldier.

You are just like those bitter white people who are mad that I have a Hmong name, I look Asian as shiit, I eat more rice than you I bet, and yet I am an American citizen just like they are. You are bitter that Hmong people who become Christians, branch out of their clans, or choose not to participate in the Hmong community, still have pride and are still as Hmong as you are.

Deal with it. Take some yoga or breathing classes. You need to watch that blood pressure and stress.

A donkey calling himself a horse, doesn't make him a horse. He may be somewhat related, but no longer is. In your case, you might have devolved even farther than the donkey stage, as you don't even want to have and share Hmong cultural qualities.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 10:30:50 AM »
A donkey calling himself a horse, doesn't make him a horse. He may be somewhat related, but no longer is. In your case, you might have devolved even farther than the donkey stage, as you don't even want to have and share Hmong cultural qualities.

Exactly. You got it, kiddo. The whole reason behind why you are so butt hurt over my suggestion of adopting a European name is because you think your standards are higher and you get to decide what's Hmong and who is Hmong. I never said anything about getting rid of Hmong culture or removing our Hmong names and replacing it with English name. All I suggested was that we adopt an English name. And then, the butt hurt came lol. The bottom line is, you are mad that other Hmong people are just as Hmong as you are and you simply are insecure with your identity. Like I said, you are bitter like those white folks who think wearing an American flag t shirt or buying American products makes you more American than other Americans. You are bitter and sad that another Hmong person with no Hmong name, cannot speak Hmong, does not eat rice and green mustard, does not one a single Hmong clothing article, has as much Hmong blood as you do. And it makes you boil, doesn't it?

Go to any Hmong gathering or big event like the Hmong New Year - half the young people have English birth names and some don't even have any Hmong name. You must be one of those morons who sit in the corner thinking you're Hmong boy hot stuff? Go find a hobby. Like I said, go do yoga or something before you die of high blood pressure.

I highly doubt you can out speak Richard Wanglue, the Hmong news reporter. According to your logic, since we all know he's OG and he wasn't born "Richard" and adopted that name, he must be an Uncle Tom. Richard Wanglue would run circles around 99% of any OG Hmong person when it comes to speaking the Hmong language. Oh, but he's uncle Tom because he adopted an English name. And so according to your logic, since you can't speak Hmong proficiently, you are not Hmong. Or does that only apply to others?

And the thing with ethnicity, ethnicity isn't loosely defined. If you're parents are both Irish, you are Irish. You are not English. If your mom is Thai and your dad is Hmong, you are half Hmong, half Thai. If your great grandmother was Polish, you are 1/8 Polish and 7/8 Hmong. You do not become more Hmong or less Hmong based on how often you attend Hmong gatherings and how much you delve into Hmong culture, and how much Hmong you speak.

If you can't understand this simple definition of ethnicity, then I guess I'll be half Hmong, half Super Saiyan. Moron.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:33:17 AM by HUNG TU LO »

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 11:21:55 AM »
Exactly. You got it, kiddo. The whole reason behind why you are so butt hurt over my suggestion of adopting a European name is because you think your standards are higher and you get to decide what's Hmong and who is Hmong. I never said anything about getting rid of Hmong culture or removing our Hmong names and replacing it with English name. All I suggested was that we adopt an English name. And then, the butt hurt came lol. The bottom line is, you are mad that other Hmong people are just as Hmong as you are and you simply are insecure with your identity. Like I said, you are bitter like those white folks who think wearing an American flag t shirt or buying American products makes you more American than other Americans. You are bitter and sad that another Hmong person with no Hmong name, cannot speak Hmong, does not eat rice and green mustard, does not one a single Hmong clothing article, has as much Hmong blood as you do. And it makes you boil, doesn't it?

Go to any Hmong gathering or big event like the Hmong New Year - half the young people have English birth names and some don't even have any Hmong name. You must be one of those morons who sit in the corner thinking you're Hmong boy hot stuff? Go find a hobby. Like I said, go do yoga or something before you die of high blood pressure.

I highly doubt you can out speak Richard Wanglue, the Hmong news reporter. According to your logic, since we all know he's OG and he wasn't born "Richard" and adopted that name, he must be an Uncle Tom. Richard Wanglue would run circles around 99% of any OG Hmong person when it comes to speaking the Hmong language. Oh, but he's uncle Tom because he adopted an English name. And so according to your logic, since you can't speak Hmong proficiently, you are not Hmong. Or does that only apply to others?

And the thing with ethnicity, ethnicity isn't loosely defined. If you're parents are both Irish, you are Irish. You are not English. If your mom is Thai and your dad is Hmong, you are half Hmong, half Thai. If your great grandmother was Polish, you are 1/8 Polish and 7/8 Hmong. You do not become more Hmong or less Hmong based on how often you attend Hmong gatherings and how much you delve into Hmong culture, and how much Hmong you speak.

If you can't understand this simple definition of ethnicity, then I guess I'll be half Hmong, half Super Saiyan. Moron.

The issue isn't who but why? You suggested changing family names due to the difficulty others might have with pronouncing it. Some individuals have strong ties to their name or family names. The justification would then seem pretty trivial to those individuals.

I, for one, would not change it for that specific reason. It's less an attachment to my race/ethnicity/etc and more an issue of how impractical it would be. But everyone's entitled to their own opinion so it might be pointless to argue.

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 07:23:49 PM »
Thomas, it seems you need the blood pressure pill with that angry, as well as off the mark thus useless, post up above instead. You always have a habit of prematurely celebrating,,, until the fall. Then you go mute and run.

1) You were suppose to define the term/word ETHNICITY itself. What qualities, features, and attributes does it contain, etc. Duh. Then we can go on from there. If you don't remember anymore then go read the other thread in which you ran off from.

2) I called you out on your original post (from this thread) because of your Uncle Tom ways. I already explained it in the 2nd reply to you. Others have seen it. One person gave my post a like +1. I was spot on, and you know it.

Answer part 1 and we can continue.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:10:27 PM by YeejKoob13 »

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 09:26:04 PM »
Thomas, it seems you need the blood pressure pill with that angry, as well as off the mark thus useless, post up above instead. You always have a habit of prematurely celebrating,,, until the fall. Then you go mute and run.

1) You were suppose to define the term/word ETHNICITY itself. What qualities, features, and attributes does it contain, etc. Duh. Then we can go on from there. If you don't remember anymore then go read the other thread in which you ran off from.

2) I called you out on your original post (from this thread) because of your Uncle Tom ways. I already explained it in the 2nd reply to you. Others have seen it. One person gave my post a like +1. I was spot on, and you know it.

Answer part 1 and we can continue.

Ethnicity: a group that shares a common culture traits, moreso ancestral bloodline
If your parents are Hmong and you were given up for adoption right at birth, never heard or spoke a Hmong word, never knew Hmong culture, you are still ethnically 100% Hmong. You don't lose ethnicity points based on how many jingle bells shaman ooga booga black magic events you've attended or how many bowls of rice you have eaten. What now? You're going to tell me that I'm wrong? Please tell me how many ethnicity cookie points I get for eating Hmong squirrel soup since it's hunting season.

You are sounding like Rachel Dolezal right now. "Are you African-American?"       "...I don't know what you are implying...I don't understand the question."
https://youtu.be/_7Gb9kK8HGk

Ooooowwww, someone gave you a +1! Bravo! That proves nothing. This isn't a popularity upvote contest. It's like saying I'm more relevant as a PH because even though you and I have almost the same numbers of posts, you have +7 respect and I have +60. It means nothing.

As we all know, the ones who lose a debate and cry "You's an Uncle Tom!", just like within the black community, are the dumbest individuals. Because you can't come up with anything to counter my argument.  :2funny: Good one, Yang Kong.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:28:29 PM by HUNG TU LO »

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 07:52:27 PM »
Don't get ahead of yourself yet, Thomas.

Let's leave your "ancestral blood line" argument/definition as the most salient aspect of ethnicity out temporarily for a bit. I will come back to address it a little later on.

Since you said ethnicity has cultural aspects to it, then now find the dictionary definition of culture. List elements, qualities, etc which are parts and parcels of it... I will help you out a bit. Most, if not all dictionaries, will list it encompassing things like language, art, religion, etc.

Just so we are on the same page. Now define Hmong. What qualities make a person Hmong?... Don't start talking about "hmong blood this, hmong parent that therefore hmong always, etc" until you define exactly what being Hmong entails first.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:55:04 PM by YeejKoob13 »

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »
Yah or Yaj and Yang or even just Ya have been at it.

So, have Lee and Ly.

Some Xiongs have done Xiongs as well.

And the elders say Fangs shouldn't date or marry Vangs or that Phas shouldn't marry Los or Lors. Hm...

It's like "Oh, we can date because you're a Moua and I'm a Mouanoutua".  O0

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2017, 10:59:55 AM »
Don't get ahead of yourself yet, Thomas.

Let's leave your "ancestral blood line" argument/definition as the most salient aspect of ethnicity out temporarily for a bit. I will come back to address it a little later on.

Since you said ethnicity has cultural aspects to it, then now find the dictionary definition of culture. List elements, qualities, etc which are parts and parcels of it... I will help you out a bit. Most, if not all dictionaries, will list it encompassing things like language, art, religion, etc.

Just so we are on the same page. Now define Hmong. What qualities make a person Hmong?... Don't start talking about "hmong blood this, hmong parent that therefore hmong always, etc" until you define exactly what being Hmong entails first.

So let's say you work with a Cambodian dude - his mom is Cambodian, his dad is Cambodian, his grandparents, and everyone beyond, to his knowledge, are all Cambodian. But your friend doesn't speak more than three words of Cambodian because he grew up in an all-white zip code, doesn't have any Khmer friends, he eats oatmeal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, and steak and potatoes for dinner, doesn't attend any Buddhist or Khmer cultural event.

So another person comes up to you one day and asks "Hey, you are Asian right? So what's your ethnicity?" You say "Hmong." So then they ask "Hey what's your buddies ethnicity? He looks like a Laotian, Karenni (Burmese ethnic group), or dark skin Thai. So what exactly is he?"

So what would you say? "Oh, he's partial Cambodian, the rest is Uncle Tom."? Or "his blood is Cambodian, but he's not really Cambodian, know what I mean?"?!  Or "He's Cambodian by day, Batman by night!" :D  He sure as hell ain't fukkken white! If that's what you're implying. He sure as hell ain't American ethnic, because American is a national/citizenship status, not an ethnicity or race.

So is an Irish-American whose family has been in America for since the big immigration in the 1800s, everyone in their family is married to full blooded Irish, but doesn't speak one word of Irish, doesn't eat any Irish food, doesn't have an Irish clothes, are they partial Irish? Half Irish? Somewhat Irish? Maybe Irish? So if they are not full Irish, what's the other half? Dragon blood? American blood? Super Saiyan? LOL

You are an idiot. You still think that you can define the ethnicity of a person based on what kind of lifestyle and culture they live, what kind of name they have, and how many cups of rice they eat in a day.  :2funny:

You are just bitter. You look in the mirror, you see a Hmong person with broken English, also broken Hmong language, wearing skinny jeans and American Eagle shirt or whatever the hell you idiots are wearing these days, and you can't come to terms with your identity. And then in order to make yourself not feel insecure, you look at yourself at the ideal model Hmong person. And then to reinforce this idea, you talk and look down on others who aren't up to your supposedly godly standards of what makes a Hmong, a "Hmong". When in fact, compared to a Hmong-Lao or Hmong-Thai, you're nothing but an American-washed Asian who is barely Asian other than the fact that you eat rice. In other words, you just can't come to terms with who you are, without needing the approval and acceptance of others. It sounds like you were brought up by strict parents or strict Hmong culture and shaman religion. It sounds like you really need to get laid. lol Honestly, that's what it sounds like. Take a chill pill man. You're still Hmong underneath that Hmong-American complex. You're still Hmong even though you jam to Skrillex or whatever hell garbage music you listen to.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:11:07 AM by HUNG TU LO »

can

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2017, 01:51:17 AM »
So let's say you work with a Cambodian dude - his mom is Cambodian, his dad is Cambodian, his grandparents, and everyone beyond, to his knowledge, are all Cambodian. But your friend doesn't speak more than three words of Cambodian because he grew up in an all-white zip code, doesn't have any Khmer friends, he eats oatmeal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, and steak and potatoes for dinner, doesn't attend any Buddhist or Khmer cultural event.

this is what people in here are trying to tell you. no matter what you do you will never be white. duh.  :2funny:

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »
this is what people in here are trying to tell you. no matter what you do you will never be white. duh.  :2funny:

Exactly! I can't agree more. Vice versa, no matter what you do, you can't un-Hmong yourself. Even if you change your name, if you don't eat rice, you don't speak Hmong, you don't do ooga booga shaman stuff, you are still Hmong. :2funny: Yang Kong and "can" do not have the judge's gavel on who is Hmong and who isn't Hmong. Like I said, you look in the mirror and you don't have the confidence to come to terms with your own identity so you try to pass yourself as the model standard (as pathetic as it sounds). And you use this low standard to judge others to make yourself feel nice about yourself.

Tell me something I don't know. And please use more brain cells than the amount of letters in your name. Do you even read beyond the first paragraph? Do you know what a paragraph is? You just reiterated what I stated below in the same damn post. Must be a late millennial who doesn't have the attention span to get beyond the first paragraph.

So what would you say? "Oh, he's partial Cambodian, the rest is Uncle Tom."? Or "his blood is Cambodian, but he's not really Cambodian, know what I mean?"?!  Or "He's Cambodian by day, Batman by night!" :D  He sure as hell ain't fukkken white! If that's what you're implying. He sure as hell ain't American ethnic, because American is a national/citizenship status, not an ethnicity or race.

So is an Irish-American whose family has been in America for since the big immigration in the 1800s, everyone in their family is married to full blooded Irish, but doesn't speak one word of Irish, doesn't eat any Irish food, doesn't have an Irish clothes, are they partial Irish? Half Irish? Somewhat Irish? Maybe Irish? So if they are not full Irish, what's the other half? Dragon blood? American blood? Super Saiyan? LOL

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:00:47 AM by HUNG TU LO »

can

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2017, 01:17:41 PM »
Exactly! I can't agree more.
you agree and yet you're trying so hard to be white  :idiot2: :2funny:

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »
you agree and yet you're trying so hard to be white  :idiot2: :2funny:

Now this chit is funny.

Even when a kong vang tabooed by fawking cousin Corey vang you still hahmong too. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2017, 07:46:49 PM »
You're so far off the psycho analysis, Thomas. I'm actually into classic rock, an Elvis fan, and listen to almost anything and everything which pleases my ears, but have never heard of skillex or whatever band you named. My parents weren't any more strict than the average Hmong standard. They taught us to be dutiful however, as we come from a line of military family going way back into the Minority Rebellion against the Chinese in the 1800's.

You trying to be clever just makes you look like a lite Vizzini (from The Princess Bride, 1987 movie); a guy who thinks he's very intelligent but is actually just a blathering twat. And you probably look similar to him as well, lol.

Again define Hmong, which you didn't do, so we are on the same page here. Quit wasting time and using distractions to evade.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 07:48:58 PM by YeejKoob13 »

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2017, 08:12:04 PM »
Also Thomas,

1) if blood line is the most salient and/or end all and be all of what determines ethnicity then how do you explain Lao, Kmu (Pubthawj) and Thai kids who were adopted into Hmong families? Over the years they have culturally blended in, like speaking the language, taking up names, follow other traditions and even religion... And what about their kids, and successive generations, etc... So in your view/model, are they Hmong or not?

2) have you seen the "Hmong DNA" chart? Now I'm no geneticist but looking at it, it's a hodgepodge of a bunch of Asian DNA's mixed together.

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2017, 10:55:58 PM »
2) have you seen the "Hmong DNA" chart? Now I'm no geneticist but looking at it, it's a hodgepodge of a bunch of Asian DNA's mixed together.

EXACTLY! I agree, there is no pure race and/or ethnicity. That's why it's okay if your name is not Tou Thao, you're still who you are even if it's Dave Hingle McCringleberry Johnson. It's elitist thinking to believe there is a pure white race as white supremacists believe. Every modern homo sapien has at least some small percentage of gene that can be traced to African origin. Even the South American rain forest natives who are the LAST remaining groups of people who have been secluded from the outside world for the past few centuries do not have "pure" native blood. This is exactly my stance on any subject pertaining to culture and race. In essence, there is no true Hmong with pure genes. But ethnicity serves a purpose to describe your ancestry so that we can say that guy is German, that guy is half Irish half English, that guy is Laotian, that guy is one-eighth Polish, etc. It just makes things easier. When people talk to each other on the streets, it isn't Human Biology 101, political correctness and microagression, and it's not a www.ancestry.com results summary. People just want to know what is your ethnicity. That's why Yang Kong and "can" would say "Hi nice to meet you. I'm Hmong." and not going into a snooze fest about human genetics. Who the hell does that to a stranger. That's not how people talk in daily life.

So really, why would it matter if your name is Yang Kong or if your parents had named you or you adopted an English name?

:D

Your argument just helped solidify my case. LOL if only life was always this simple.

Like I said, you look in the mirror and you are either unhappy, insecure, or hate the person you see. Not completely Hmong (since according to you, it's culture and not ancestry that determines who you are), not fully accepted by America, you still do ooga booga shaman and you're not quite sure if that's the salvation you seek, and in order to make yourself not feel so little, you puff yourself up as the model Hmong person and you judge others to make yourself feel good about your little life. You then tell me you also have other Asian blood. And yet, you say pure Hmong people don't go to church or change their names. So which is it? You're confused. It's okay, you are still who you are and no one can take that away from you. Don't be scared, little child.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:11:03 PM by HUNG TU LO »

Advertisements