Advertisement

Author Topic: Last names....  (Read 12289 times)

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Re: Last names....
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2017, 06:44:35 PM »
EXACTLY! I agree, there is no pure race and/or ethnicity. That's why it's okay if your name is not Tou Thao, you're still who you are even if it's Dave Hingle McCringleberry Johnson. It's elitist thinking to believe there is a pure white race as white supremacists believe. Every modern homo sapien has at least some small percentage of gene that can be traced to African origin. Even the South American rain forest natives who are the LAST remaining groups of people who have been secluded from the outside world for the past few centuries do not have "pure" native blood. This is exactly my stance on any subject pertaining to culture and race. In essence, there is no true Hmong with pure genes. But ethnicity serves a purpose to describe your ancestry so that we can say that guy is German, that guy is half Irish half English, that guy is Laotian, that guy is one-eighth Polish, etc. It just makes things easier. When people talk to each other on the streets, it isn't Human Biology 101, political correctness and microagression, and it's not a www.ancestry.com results summary. People just want to know what is your ethnicity. That's why Yang Kong and "can" would say "Hi nice to meet you. I'm Hmong." and not going into a snooze fest about human genetics. Who the hell does that to a stranger. That's not how people talk in daily life.

So really, why would it matter if your name is Yang Kong or if your parents had named you or you adopted an English name?

:D

Your argument just helped solidify my case. LOL if only life was always this simple.

Like I said, you look in the mirror and you are either unhappy, insecure, or hate the person you see. Not completely Hmong (since according to you, it's culture and not ancestry that determines who you are), not fully accepted by America, you still do ooga booga shaman and you're not quite sure if that's the salvation you seek, and in order to make yourself not feel so little, you puff yourself up as the model Hmong person and you judge others to make yourself feel good about your little life. You then tell me you also have other Asian blood. And yet, you say pure Hmong people don't go to church or change their names. So which is it? You're confused. It's okay, you are still who you are and no one can take that away from you. Don't be scared, little child.

In the words of Antoine Dodson, "You are so dumb. You are really dumb, for real."

Thomas you are so stupid you can't even see how stupid you are. I'm going to let you digest and stew over this statement for a bit before I show it to you.

And the heck is writing my user name as Yang Kong suppose to show or do? I'm not even offended by it. I'm just perplexed by what you're even trying to achieve here. You're weird. The audience is likely wondering the same thing... At least when I call you Thomas aka Uncle Tom, the audience understands it completely.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

can

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2017, 02:32:14 AM »
In the words of Antoine Dodson, "You are so dumb. You are really dumb, for real."

Thomas you are so stupid you can't even see how stupid you are. I'm going to let you digest and stew over this statement for a bit before I show it to you.

And the heck is writing my user name as Yang Kong suppose to show or do? I'm not even offended by it. I'm just perplexed by what you're even trying to achieve here. You're weird. The audience is likely wondering the same thing... At least when I call you Thomas aka Uncle Tom, the audience understands it completely.

hung is samuel jackson in Django  :idiot2:

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2017, 08:47:07 AM »
I was doing a diversity presentation at a middle school, and I told the kids that our skins can't be changed.

"Michael Jackson changed his," one little boy said from the group. :2funny:

this is what people in here are trying to tell you. no matter what you do you will never be white. duh.  :2funny:

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2017, 02:03:30 AM »
Some groups add their ancestral grandfather's name to distinguish themselves apart from the other groups that share the same clan surname. Sometimes they do this to separate themselves from a group that is attached to a negative reputation.

For example, just look at the Vue curse. Every Vue will say they aren't that particular group but how do we know? Without a way to distinguish the different Vue groups some clans just simply choose not to marry into that clan surname.

Of course, if you happen to have one of these elaborate clan names and someone does something really bad, you are forever tied to it. Unless you drop that part and just use the plain surname to blend in. 

Advertisements