Advertisement

Author Topic: Marrying someone with a different faith???  (Read 5204 times)

Offline Allday-24

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Marrying someone with a different faith???
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 10:32:05 PM »
Anyone here marry someone of a different religion? Any personal experiences? Do chime in.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

DeadbeatDAD

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 02:44:30 AM »
If you love her and she wants you to convert then she is already sinning. What is up with people who loves to claim god believers, but yet dont understand one bit.
If you are going to be that fken devoted, then might as well be a virgin and fly off to some poor country and be of service to them because if you aint one of those then you aint one of these.
Cant be both, so tell her to read this post and wake up from her delusions.
Just tell her, god is the GOAT and he will not mind her catering to fit your needs and make good ament to both of you.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 11:31:50 AM »
Hello, I am in a relationship with a gal that I am really interested in settling down with. However, she is a strong believer of Christ and I am very traditional. Please share your experiences with me. I'd like to know how you two made it through with the differences.
Your situation will be tough.  In the Hmong culture, she is expected to adopt your religious belief/practices to be considered your family in life and in death. This is why there's NO middle ground, no such thing as respecting each other's religious differences in Hmong marriages, and if you try to do that, Hmong people will be looking puzzled like it's something never done before - like you're an alien, sooo un-hmong like, maybe a weakling, out of your mind, etc.. Also, she may be treated like an "outcast" from time to time if she doesn't.  Also, since you're traditional I'm assuming your family will be too and all of you will expect her to adopt your faith/religious practices.  Bottom line, it's best to say good bye now to avoid lots of headaches for everyone later...

Unless you're willing to stand up, be your own man and truly allow her to keep her faith regardless of what anyone says - to truly respect each other's religious differences, not let that get in the way of your marriage/and or love... But still, it will clash no matter what.  Certain milestones of your life, you'd be doing religious rituals/practices - will you pray or ua neeg?  or do nothing?  What if she wants to pray and you want to ua neeg?  What about the children later on, how do you plan to introduce religion to them? Your way or her way?  What about in your house, will you have a xwm kab or bible?  OR bible in one corner and xwm kab in another? 

People say this is America and there's religious freedom in this country.  But not so in the hmong yet.

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline Allday-24

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 09:45:52 PM »
Your situation will be tough.  In the Hmong culture, she is expected to adopt your religious belief/practices to be considered your family in life and in death. This is why there's NO middle ground, no such thing as respecting each other's religious differences in Hmong marriages, and if you try to do that, Hmong people will be looking puzzled like it's something never done before - like you're an alien, sooo un-hmong like, maybe a weakling, out of your mind, etc.. Also, she may be treated like an "outcast" from time to time if she doesn't.  Also, since you're traditional I'm assuming your family will be too and all of you will expect her to adopt your faith/religious practices.  Bottom line, it's best to say good bye now to avoid lots of headaches for everyone later...

Unless you're willing to stand up, be your own man and truly allow her to keep her faith regardless of what anyone says - to truly respect each other's religious differences, not let that get in the way of your marriage/and or love... But still, it will clash no matter what.  Certain milestones of your life, you'd be doing religious rituals/practices - will you pray or ua neeg?  or do nothing?  What if she wants to pray and you want to ua neeg?  What about the children later on, how do you plan to introduce religion to them? Your way or her way?  What about in your house, will you have a xwm kab or bible?  OR bible in one corner and xwm kab in another? 

People say this is America and there's religious freedom in this country.  But not so in the hmong yet.

Ahh maybe I could set it off first! A start to something new.

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 07:31:22 PM »
Ahh maybe I could set it off first! A start to something new.

It will fail, brother. I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But it eventually will.

You are already cognizant of the difficulty her religious beliefs pose for the future. If you are deaf, dumb, and blind, which i dont think you are, and you can somehow memory wipe yourself from the knowledge you have, then maybe it may work (meaning you sellout and become a yesxus member, yet even then you still have family members who are culturally Hmong, so there are other dynamics as well which will tug at you and leave you conflicted). But as is, her beliefs will gnaw at you until eventually.

Sorry, but move on. Unless you can shed some sense into her and turn her back to being a Hmong then that’s the other option. But knowing how stubborn and blind once these people “have found jesus” thats a long long shot. You're better off finding a girl who really fits you, one who embraces you, your family, and your way of life.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 05:22:16 AM »
When I was single and dating I got along fine with non-Christian guys. However, a relationship with another Christian was so much more satisfying since we were on the same page about almost everything. This is the same when it comes to dating within your own race.

It's easy to get along with others and even share the same interests. But when you and the other person are truly on the same wavelength because you have shared experiences, background, upbringing, values, identity, worldview and so forth, the relationship is just so much more deeper and satisfying.

Personally, I do not wish to be unequally yoked with someone.

Advertisements