Advertisement

Author Topic: Yeng Her is the first Hmong-American Physician-Scientist, I wonder if ...  (Read 158 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +675
    • View Profile
...there are other Hmong-Americans that made it in that specialty field too...Couldn't find much except for Yeng Her. Regardless, awesome and congrats Yeng Her!  O0:

Madison man is first Hmong-American to get an M.D.-Ph.D.

When Yeng Her’s mother’s kidneys failed, she wanted to try herbs and shaman rituals. But a Madison doctor said that without dialysis, she would die.

Her was 16, a junior at Memorial High School, the oldest of four children born in a refugee camp. As he fought to keep his mother alive, he struggled to translate language and culture between his Hmong family and Western medical providers.

“I felt powerless,” he said. “That lit a fire inside of me to go into medicine and try to bridge these gaps.”

Her is believed to be the first Hmong-American to get an M.D.-Ph.D., after receiving the degrees last month at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

He plans to return next year to UW-Madison, where he got his bachelor’s degree, to do a residency in physical medicine and rehabilitation at UW Health. He will also pursue research on using stem cells to treat chronic pain.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/health-med-fit/madison-man-is-first-hmong-american-to-get-an-m/article_9864565e-6412-5aac-811c-4267c448e593.html

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline CodeBlue

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Re: Yeng Her is the first Hmong-American Physician-Scientist, I wonder if ...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 11:23:13 AM »
We need more of our people in places like COURTS/POLICE LEADERSHIP/GOVERNOR/MAYORS positions.  Having BIG BUSINESS will definitely HELPS to elect them too!!!

Offline starchaser1989

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:34:03 PM »
Great for him.  However, IMHO you live and die a somebody or a nobody.  Example:  When you walk into a club, a meeting, a party, etc.....Nobody know who the heck you are, where as when Yasmi (using her as an example) everybody know who she is and people rushing up to get autograph or photos.  You making the killing money, have the killing job, have the killing house but you sitting on the side line watching lol. Now, this is not how it should be because people who is well deserve should be the center of it all but our society and culture today live like this.  Like I said before a lot of these Hmong officials who hold a less known role will finish their term and most Hmong people don't even know that they were in office.  Some people love to live a down-low life and I respect that too, but TBH everybody wants to be famous and well known.  Just my 2 cent.           

Offline Yebleng

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »
We need muliti-billion dollar Hmong business owners all around the world who can control politicians.  Thats the only way you and your people will have some respect O0

Like this post: +1

Advertisements