Advertisement

Author Topic: odds of survival..  (Read 5181 times)

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
odds of survival..
« on: December 12, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »
you're prisoner 1 of 3.  Two of you are scheduled for execution and one is scheduled to be pardoned.  You know that it means that of the other two, one of them has 100% chance of being executed.  You explain this to the guard and mentioned that it means you only have a 50/50 chance since there's 2 of you left and only one execution left.  The guard thinks you're crazy because your odds of survival is 1/3.  Is the guard correct?

Now consider that someone told the guard who's to be executed but he's not allowed to tell anyone if they're going to be executed.  You say "okay, you can't tell me about me, but of the other two, just let me know the one guaranteed to be executed?" and the guard tells you prisoner 2 is scheduled to be executed for sure.  Now is your chances of survival 50/50?

You tell prisoner 3 what the guard tells you.  He thinks you're silly because your odds of being executed is still 2/3 (odds of survival 1/3) but his odds of execution/survival is only 1/2 (50%).  Is he correct? 

Explain your logic.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
Re: odds of survival..
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 06:42:26 PM »
you're prisoner 1 of 3.  Two of you are scheduled for execution and one is scheduled to be pardoned.  You know that it means that of the other two, one of them has 100% chance of being executed.  You explain this to the guard and mentioned that it means you only have a 50/50 chance since there's 2 of you left and only one execution left.  The guard thinks you're crazy because your odds of survival is 1/3.  Is the guard correct?

Now consider that someone told the guard who's to be executed but he's not allowed to tell anyone if they're going to be executed.  You say "okay, you can't tell me about me, but of the other two, just let me know the one guaranteed to be executed?" and the guard tells you prisoner 2 is scheduled to be executed for sure.  Now is your chances of survival 50/50?

You tell prisoner 3 what the guard tells you.  He thinks you're silly because your odds of being executed is still 2/3 (odds of survival 1/3) but his odds of execution/survival is only 1/2 (50%).  Is he correct? 

Explain your logic.

He's correct... statistic.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 08:42:25 PM »
Your odds of being executed is 50% because the ones that were decided to get pardon was you and prisoner 3.
Knowing that Prisoner 2 was guarantee to be executed, he was never part of the equation.

DeadbeatDAD

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 03:08:15 AM »
1/3 to survive
2/3 to be shot dead if one trys to run away
..jk
 2/3 to be executed
1/2 to survive..
Heck i hate riddle..
So i agreed.. he is right..