Advertisement

Author Topic: Netflix's "Dark"  (Read 349 times)

Offline vangsean

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Netflix's "Dark"
« on: December 31, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »
Anyone saw one of Netflix's recent show called, Dark? I thought it was a good show. Very interesting to say the least. If you love sci fi, drama, suspense, topic of time and space, and mysteriousness, then I highly recommend you to watch the show. (There's no big action scenes btw. A few punches and pushes thrown, some chase scenes, but not that much action. So if you love action, and expect action to happen here and there, then this show won't be for you.)

The show left me some unanswered questions, but I still liked the show regardless. They recently renewed the show too, so I hope they explain more in season two. Otherwise, it's a good show to watch in my opinion.

The show's in German by the way. So you either have to watch it with English subs or dubs.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:23:04 PM by vangsean »

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
  • land of the pines
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
Re: Netflix's "Dark"
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 02:19:31 PM »
I watched all 10 episodes on a plane. It's not a show for everyone --slow pacing, unsympathetic characters, unoriginal attempt to be clever in certain regards not to mention the complexity of its plot --but if Twin Peaks and the Xfiles and Stranger Things had a threesome the situation would be Dark (haha.. sorry, not sorry). The show's premise is far more philosophical then the viewer may be led to believe in an attempt at world building. That is, it doesn't ask the audience to believe in a world that could be but a world that actually is. How does your perception change once reality is augmented? Or is there responsibility in cascading failure? Anyway, the soundtrack is great too..

Like this post: 0

live simply so others may simply live
go vegan

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +189
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 03:28:19 PM »
It's in my queue but haven't gotten to it yet. Been stuck on Dave Chappelle's shows heehee

Offline vangsean

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »
I watched all 10 episodes on a plane. It's not a show for everyone --slow pacing, unsympathetic characters, unoriginal attempt to be clever in certain regards not to mention the complexity of its plot --but if Twin Peaks and the Xfiles and Stranger Things had a threesome the situation would be Dark (haha.. sorry, not sorry). The show's premise is far more philosophical then the viewer may be led to believe in an attempt at world building. That is, it doesn't ask the audience to believe in a world that could be but a world that actually is. How does your perception change once reality is augmented? Or is there responsibility in cascading failure? Anyway, the soundtrack is great too..

I agree the show's not 100% perfect, and it had some flaws, but I actually liked the slow pace. It gave us more insight into the characters and the world they live in before anything exciting starts. I think too many films/TV shows now and days rush this specific part and it just makes the world/characters two-dimensional. The plot/idea/concept has been used before, but I like the fact that they added their own twist to it. So it's unique in my opinion. But yes. Dark is a mixture of a lot of sci fi/mystery shows yet still held its own original content. (And haha! I see what you did there LOL Twin Peaks + X files + Stranger Things = Dark.) I guess you can say it's Germany's version of "Stranger Things," if you will.  Anyway, not everyone will like the show, but I personally enjoyed and liked Dark. Soundtrack is indeed great.

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
  • land of the pines
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »
Anyway, not everyone will like the show, but I personally enjoyed and liked Dark. Soundtrack is indeed great.
Oh absolutely! By no means was my criticism an ill attempt to downplay the show's awesomeness. It's cerebral; it kept me guessing in a lot of ways as I tried to decipher who was whom when what and where it happened. I have to admit, though, that I found Dark purely by accident since I've discontinued netflix and all its commercials/hype thereof. I was searching "a quite life" by teho teardo & blixa bargeld on youtube and.. well... many videos had Dark as the visual, so, naturally, my inclination was to seek out what strange show would use an even stranger song ... and here we are. In my world, this means two things 1) you can still show netflix shows without netflix if you know where to look 2) season 2 should no less be equally slooowwww but epic all the same. Hah.

go vegan

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »
okay, I'll go watch it tonight. Been scrolling passed it for a while now and wanted to try but just didn't have the patience to watch another series.

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
  • land of the pines
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 02:46:06 PM »
Please do! Then come back and tell us what you think.

go vegan

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 02:52:01 PM »
I will too.

(I just really want to be part of this conversation. Lol)

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
  • land of the pines
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »
Hah.. yay! Iíll like to know your opinion as well. When everyone is done we can talk about specifics.

Like this post: +1

go vegan

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 06:00:31 PM »
Sounds good.

Also, come back to Netflix. You know you miss it (watching legally, I mean)  :D

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
  • land of the pines
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 10:59:31 AM »
Well, aarrgghhhhh lol
Also, do you guys watch Black Mirror?

go vegan

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 11:01:17 AM »
Watched the first episode lastnight.  Not too bad I guess.  Can't go wrong when you start off a series with a sex scene, complete with nudity and girl nipples.   O0

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
  • land of the pines
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 11:02:52 AM »
Hah. True. The show does not shy away from the sex.

go vegan

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 11:04:48 AM »
Well, aarrgghhhhh lol
Also, do you guys watch Black Mirror?

OMG, I can't believe he died so long ago already.  Like 6 years ago already.  How time flys.

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
  • land of the pines
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 01:46:25 PM »
You know what they say, time and tide waits for no man.

go vegan

Advertisements