Advertisement

Author Topic: I heard that if a debt collector calls you about a debt and...  (Read 4307 times)

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
I heard that if a debt collector calls you about a debt and...
« on: January 04, 2018, 11:59:33 AM »
he convinces you to pay a small portion of the debt to "stop proceedings" so you can work out whether you really owe the debt or not, and you paid it, you're automatically liable for the entire debt, even if it's not yours.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
Re: I heard that if a debt collector calls you about a debt and...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
how can one not know what he/she owes??

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 12:39:10 PM »
Some people owe alot of money to alot of creditors so they can't keep track of it all?

Blongforever

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »

You’ll be surprised how many people have borrowed money to cover their debts only to end up borrowing more from other lenders/friends/family members to cover the ones they have just borrowed.  It’s call people living in a “freedumb” society.  Impulsive and dumb people who can’t even live within their means. :2funny:

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 12:56:23 PM »
Sometimes, if someone close to you passes away, like a parent or spouse and they owe a debt, the collectors will call you to try to collect.  If you agree to just pay a small amount of it, you'd end up owning the whole bill. 

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 02:31:58 PM »
if they accumulate debt after debt to which they don't know what is what then....idk

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 02:44:56 PM »
They only can able to call you if you say you are the person they trying to collect.

Not sure if this legal but if you owe $300, they keep on adding late fees till it is in the thousands and then they go after you for the new amount.

I don't feel bad for the people that beat the system.  Them cc collectors are motherfawkers.  It's ok.  They got millions vs you with only minimum to live on by.

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 02:49:19 PM »
I called the Fon company just to tell them that my friend passes away so it would be useless for them to try to collect from him.  You know what the fawk face say?

If you his friend you should do the right thing by paying on his behalf.  That was when I went ape nuts on the csr.  I don't have to y'all any heads up and good luck trying to collect from the dead.  Matter of fact, y'all lucky I did not apply for more cards and rack up that bill to fawk them all. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 03:34:07 PM »
I called the Fon company just to tell them that my friend passes away so it would be useless for them to try to collect from him.  You know what the fawk face say?

If you his friend you should do the right thing by paying on his behalf.  That was when I went ape nuts on the csr.  I don't have to y'all any heads up and good luck trying to collect from the dead.  Matter of fact, y'all lucky I did not apply for more cards and rack up that bill to fawk them all.
That's actually a common trick they use on people to try to guilt them into paying.  Telling you that it's the right thing to do and it'll be good for your deceased friend's reputation.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 03:36:06 PM »
They only can able to call you if you say you are the person they trying to collect.

Not sure if this legal but if you owe $300, they keep on adding late fees till it is in the thousands and then they go after you for the new amount.

I don't feel bad for the people that beat the system.  Them cc collectors are motherfawkers.  It's ok.  They got millions vs you with only minimum to live on by.
If you ask them for a mailing address so you can request proof that you owe them money and how they got to the amount they claim you owed, they usually will stop calling you because most of the time they don't have enough information to prove anything in court.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 04:40:11 PM »
he convinces you to pay a small portion of the debt to "stop proceedings" so you can work out whether you really owe the debt or not, and you paid it, you're automatically liable for the entire debt, even if it's not yours.

Depends...

Sometimes, if someone close to you passes away, like a parent or spouse and they owe a debt, the collectors will call you to try to collect. If you agree to just pay a small amount of it, you'd end up owning the whole bill.

Also depends...

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:44:20 PM by theking »

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 09:55:14 PM »
Yes, Please go offer to pay a small portion of someone's debt to a collector and then come back here and tell us what it 'depends' on. We'd really appreciate it.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 11:41:48 PM »
It's common knowledge that things like that 'depends' on several variables but I don't expect narrow minded people to see that far out..

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 08:35:37 AM »
Are you sure?

A county called about my business partner's debt. I paid half of it (just $1,500.00). Then they called again another time and said I had no obligation but they just wanted to know why I paid for it.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 08:38:29 AM »
Are you sure?

I had a client whose wife died and a lot of her debts were still outstanding.  They didn't collect from him.

Sometimes, if someone close to you passes away, like a parent or spouse and they owe a debt, the collectors will call you to try to collect.  If you agree to just pay a small amount of it, you'd end up owning the whole bill.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Advertisements