Advertisement

Author Topic: Is it too late to learn Hmong?  (Read 7898 times)

Offline Niello

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
Is it too late to learn Hmong?
« on: January 17, 2018, 04:11:54 PM »
Is it to late for my 15 year old to learn hmong? Yes, its my fault for not teaching him while growing up.

He does understand it but refuse to speak hmong back.  >:(

Like this post: 0
ua kiag xwb, tuag los tseg.

Adverstisement

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
Re: Is it too late to learn Hmong?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 04:27:32 PM »
It’s never too late, the issue would be, is he willing. Boys that age don’t listen well lol

He's willing to learn, but I'm just afraid he might be shy to speak in hmong in front of people.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:05:22 AM by Niello »

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 04:42:54 PM »
Would  you like me to send him this book? I like to donate to educational causes.

Should have taught him Hmong writing and reading long ago though. It's going to be tough making him learn it now.

I know it's my fault for not teaching him how to speak hmong. I guess it's not too late to learn it.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:06:08 AM by Niello »

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 10:23:48 PM »
Is it to late for my 15 year old to learn hmong? Yes, its my fault for not teaching him while growing up.

Depends on the person but most likely not too late as I've seen 20 year old plus White Mormon men learn it..

yog!!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:09:24 AM by Niello »

Offline Yebleng

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 07:02:10 PM »
speak Hmong to them. My mom she speaks Hmong to my boys and all my nephews. When it comes to eating and grandma is serving they understand very well ;D O0

I'm going to start that today!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:09:50 AM by Niello »

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 10:03:44 PM »
Some kids choose not to speak it. I know people my age who don't speak Hmong well at all even though their parents only speak Hmong. This is because they lived in isolation for the most part and never engaged in full conversations with their Hmong-speaking parents. They can understand everything their parent says but they just can't say it back. Plus, their parents can respond to simple English expressions so the kids never had to speak in Hmong. This same phenomenon is happening to children raised by grandparents. I met a grandmother who said that she is learning English from her grandkids. She speaks Hmong to them and they speak English to her. She never thought it would negatively impact their Hmong!

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 12:36:39 PM »
I've never seen a grand kid raised by her grandparents and then she can't speak Hmong.

Some kids choose not to speak it. I know people my age who don't speak Hmong well at all even though their parents only speak Hmong. This is because they lived in isolation for the most part and never engaged in full conversations with their Hmong-speaking parents. They can understand everything their parent says but they just can't say it back. Plus, their parents can respond to simple English expressions so the kids never had to speak in Hmong. This same phenomenon is happening to children raised by grandparents. I met a grandmother who said that she is learning English from her grandkids. She speaks Hmong to them and they speak English to her. She never thought it would negatively impact their Hmong!

"...

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 01:26:49 PM »
I've never seen a grand kid raised by her grandparents and then she can't speak Hmong.

I have. I've also met Hmong kids who don't speak Hmong even though their parents only speak it. One time I called this house because the mom asked me to look over some papers regarding their house. Her son, who is something like 23 years old, was silent on the other side because he could not respond to me in Hmong. When I called I spoke in Hmong first. I was asking for his mom. Silence. Then I figured this kid didn't know how to speak in Hmong so I spoke in English. That's when he told me that his mom wasn't home because she was at so and so's house.

I told his mom about the incident and she told me that he didn't speak Hmong fluently.

As with many of these Hmong kids, they have no problem understanding what is said to them in Hmong. They struggle with speaking it back. This rings true even for 30-40 year old Hmong who do not regularly speak the Hmong language. Do you know how many events I've been to where a person goes on stage and tells everybody, "Thov txim kuv tsis tshua paub hais lus Hmoob..." in broken Hmong?

The number is astounding! And these individuals have Hmong parents who are not fluent English speakers. They only speak in Hmong to the kids.

I think you guys aren't focusing on the problem. We aren't talking about kids who don't understand the Hmong language. Niello said that her son understood but that he just didn't speak it back.

That is a separate issue from people who don't understand the language at all.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 02:35:42 PM »
Don't worry about it.  The Hmong language is not that important or is it to you?

As long as he can understand, that means he is still install with the Hmong.  He can speak back in different language to communicate. 

If it is real like that then it is an understanding but if he just refuses then all bets are off.  I can't tolerate a faker, especially one that are too shy of their own culture.  The only pass I can give is if they are mix and with that, I call it a confusion because the poor kid is confused to which language he wants to take upon. 

Being bilingual has it's benefits because some jobs requires one to be bilingual to cater to their patients or customers.  If you lose your own language, I am expecting for English skills to be like a white man.  You talk without hesitation and with that, can take you places in a certain job market.

One job is journalism.  They are azn on tv, training to speak the language like the white man an guess who they end up marrying?  White folks like Connie Chung, the view chick, Lisa ling n Kelly hu n that one Charlie angel biatch Lisa Liu. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 04:56:53 PM »
No, I don't. How many exactly?

I have. I've also met Hmong kids who don't speak Hmong even though their parents only speak it. One time I called this house because the mom asked me to look over some papers regarding their house. Her son, who is something like 23 years old, was silent on the other side because he could not respond to me in Hmong. When I called I spoke in Hmong first. I was asking for his mom. Silence. Then I figured this kid didn't know how to speak in Hmong so I spoke in English. That's when he told me that his mom wasn't home because she was at so and so's house.

I told his mom about the incident and she told me that he didn't speak Hmong fluently.

As with many of these Hmong kids, they have no problem understanding what is said to them in Hmong. They struggle with speaking it back. This rings true even for 30-40 year old Hmong who do not regularly speak the Hmong language. Do you know how many events I've been to where a person goes on stage and tells everybody, "Thov txim kuv tsis tshua paub hais lus Hmoob..." in broken Hmong?

The number is astounding! And these individuals have Hmong parents who are not fluent English speakers. They only speak in Hmong to the kids.

I think you guys aren't focusing on the problem. We aren't talking about kids who don't understand the Hmong language. Niello said that her son understood but that he just didn't speak it back.

That is a separate issue from people who don't understand the language at all.

"...

Renaissance

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »

No, not too late.  You have to expose him to places, events, people where the language is used.  Don't expect him to learn livng in remote places with little Hmong population.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 09:48:57 PM »
No, I don't. How many exactly?

Every graduation party that I've attended where the graduate is under 45. I especially find it troubling that many Hmong males do not speak fluent Hmong.

Offline txojhmoo211

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 07:15:41 AM »
It's never to late.  Maybe think of the reason why first, instead of just the whole "you're Hmong, you have to know and speak Hmong" speech.  Maybe have her connect with a cousin or someone who she looks up to.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 08:43:53 AM »
So, I should feel safe next time I speak to a crowd if I use only English then.

Every graduation party that I've attended where the graduate is under 45. I especially find it troubling that many Hmong males do not speak fluent Hmong.

"...

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »
to simply put.  no, it's never too late.  with that said, good luck.

Advertisements