Advertisement

Author Topic: Altered Carbon  (Read 350 times)

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +222
    • View Profile
Altered Carbon
« on: February 07, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »
Omgosh, how is no one talking about this one yet??? I'm halfway through and I'm hooked!! The synopsis goes:

The series takes place over 350 years in the future, in the year 2384. In the future, people's consciousnesse s are contained in "stacks", storage devices attached to the back of a person's neck. Physical bodies are now considered "sleeves", mere disposable vessels. Takeshi Kovacs (Joel Kinnaman), a violent mercenary, wakes up 250 years after his sleeve is killed, and he is given the choice to either spend the rest of time in prison for his crimes, or help solve the murder of one of the wealthiest man in the settled worlds (James Purefoy). Takeshi was the sole surviving soldier of those defeated in an uprising against the new world order 250 years prior.

So far I have nothing bad to say about this series. Check it out on Netflix.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
Re: Altered Carbon
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 01:44:42 PM »
I heard a review of this on Fresh Air. I'll come back for my own opinion when I'm done with my binge... lol

live simply so others may simply live
go vegan

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +284
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 10:33:59 PM »
Someone was telling me about thisome yesterday..

Definitely sounds interesting.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +222
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:35:38 PM »
I heard a review of this on Fresh Air. I'll come back for my own opinion when I'm done with my binge... lol

Please do!

So I finished this series a few days ago. Here are my thoughts...

I was really drawn into the mystery of the story, the classic "whodunnit" tale. That was probably what intrigued me first. And as I started watching more, I started to like the humor, the characters, and just the way the story was told. You're given bits and pieces of everything, not enough to presume anything but enough to keep you hooked. You also start to realize that beneath the whole whodunnit story is another layer of mystery, and that of course relates to the main character, Takeshi Kovacs himself.

The science part of the series, such as how people's consciousness are stored in "stacks" and how they can transfer from "sleeve" (bodies) to other sleeves, and the exact details of how that works still eludes me. They don't really explain much in that sense, but since it's been happening for hundreds of years, no one is really surprised if they come across a white gangster guy who is actually their grandma...

There are a lot of different actors of different ethnicities, which I thought was cool. I guess the transfer of stacks from sleeve to other sleeves is so common that race isn't much of a societal issue anymore. The biggest issue in this world is based on the haves and the have nots, as those who are rich are able to live forever since they have the money to create endless clones of themselves that they can just transfer to whenever they need a new body, while the poorer part of society don't have that luxury.

There was also an aspect of the movie that I thought was interesting. Two people could talk to each other in their own language and be understood by the other, even though they were replying in their native tongue. So for example, a Hispanic woman was talking Spanish to her boyfriend while he talked Arabic to her but they understood each other perfectly. Either people have learned multiple languages or they have some kind of technology that automatically translates language as it's spoken. I noticed that they did the same thing in "The Cloverfield Paradox." It really solves the problem of non-English actors speaking their own language and not worrying about learning their lines, but it does make you wonder why the other person doesn't speak back in that language if they understand what the first person is saying.

There's quite a bit of nudity in the series, especially from the ladies. But to be fair, James Purefoy did let it all hang out in one scene, which was surprising, lol. I almost choked when I saw that.

All in all, a great series. I read that it was based on a book so I don't know how far the series strayed from the book, or whether there was more to the story than what was shown. Hopefully they make a second season.

And last of all, my favorite character was probably the AI owner of the Raven Hotel, Poe. He just had something so endearing in him.

Advertisements