Advertisement

Author Topic: offers  (Read 5645 times)

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
offers
« on: March 28, 2018, 10:49:31 PM »
let’s say company a (small comp.) offers u $85k salary (good benefits) to work in madison, wi and the next day company b (giant tech comp.) offers u $150k,$10k sign on bonus, $10k year end bonus, stocks, relocation package (excellent benefits) in san francisco, ca. which offer would u take?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Superan

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
Re: offers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 12:20:11 AM »
First one. Sf, you will go broke living out there and can't support a family on that income.

'MELT AWAY WITH ME"

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 03:17:29 AM »
let’s say company a (small comp.) offers u $85k salary (good benefits) to work in madison, wi and the next day company b (giant tech comp.) offers u $150k,$10k sign on bonus, $10k year end bonus, stocks, relocation package (excellent benefits) in san francisco, ca. which offer would u take?

Not enough info for me to form an educated opinion for me like who are the two "company", what is the job title, etc.

salary and location are important but who I'm working for and what job title/duties are more important imo...

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 04:14:39 AM »
Position is my view.  If you pick A, that is about the furthest you can go.  Chose B and it will or can lead you to bigger opportunity down the road. 

All about your preferences in life.  If you want to call it a day, pick 1.   If you go to SF, you will not feel the presence of redneck racism but will witness other sorts of racism like kaydoo lives matters. 

I'd pick 2 and live an hour away and commute to keep most of your pay.  Take that money and go back to Wisconsin and rub it up on their azz.

Redneck racism in the Midwest cuz y'all still poor.  When you a rich fawker, they will see you as an elite, a person equally to them cuz you already achieved the American dream and to them, that is the white man's dream.  Congratulation s, you are a sleeper redneck. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 06:26:38 AM »
if I was to choose between the two with the information giving, I would choose SF. 

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »
I've worked for shitty companies that paid good money in the past and I would rather get less pay working for a company that care about their employees...

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 03:07:24 PM »
No brainer, san fran.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 03:20:52 PM »
Sounds to me like it’s more peaceful in WI. There is where I’ll stay.

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 09:33:12 PM »

Brother Slude,

What does your wife think?  Is she ready for the big city?  Are you OK with long distance relationship with your side of the family?  Can you tolerate 3 hour total commute or more a day?  If you are looking at SF or Mountain View or some of the other nice areas for real estate, the cost of a fix-up house is minimum 500k  or more for a 1200 sqft house in the ghetto.  If you are single, that's a great opportunity.  For family guy like you and I, it's a break even proposition.  Risk adjusted and it's not even break even.  You are taking substantial risk for something that may not work out in 3 years.  160k is middle class income for SF.  Include your wife's salary and you'll be OK.  The commute and family are the factors.  You seem to be hungry again after a couple years with the city.  That's a tough decision for you.

Here are some data points.

I had something similar 3 years ago.  Almost double my salary to move to South SF take on a bigger role with same company.  I traveled there.  Visited the company.  Toured the area.  Loved it.  Return home and thought about it and said no because I love the midwest and my family.  I dislike the cold but warmth is where the heart is.

I guy I know moved to SF and left his family in MN for 3 years to start his company.  He traveled back and forth.  I said why not move the family.  He said he tried it but family doesn't like SF.  He sold his startup company and moved back to MN.

Then I know people who moved there and loved it and stayed. 

You can take a hybrid approach.  Take the job, rent a hotel for 6 months, keep your other house, do this for 1-2 years and see if you like it.  If it is worth it, move the family over.  If you don't like it, find another job back home.  After 1-2 years, you'll be worth much, much more.  Win-win...

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 09:38:05 PM »
Another data point. 150k is a dime a dozen in SF.  Top tier freshly minted mBA and computer scientist (mostly MS) are getting 120k-150k to start.

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 09:29:51 AM »
all great suggestions  O0 i just wanted to get a feel of what some of you would do. obviously before making a decision, one has to consider all factors: commute, cost of living, families, work/life balance, etc.

...but sf/mountain view is a once in a life time, life changing experience. the company is google.

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 09:50:32 PM »
all great suggestions  O0 i just wanted to get a feel of what some of you would do. obviously before making a decision, one has to consider all factors: commute, cost of living, families, work/life balance, etc.

...but sf/mountain view is a once in a life time, life changing experience. the company is google.

Then JUST DO IT!

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »
look at the likelihood of which company would go out of business first if say a major economic downfall happens again. My younger brother could be making 100k plus annually for a giant tech comp...but he got pick up by the state making about 35-40% less. I told him...think long term...look at the odds. job security is more important than salary. now he's some kind of senior supervisor or something. he only works 3-4 days a week with a average of only 6 hours..probabl y just sit on his ass most of the time too...it doesn't effect his pay or benefits....lu cky mofo...

i'm in the govn't sector. it's easy, but no ambition. govn't benefit is good, but only if you're 50+ yr old and just cruising to retirement.

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 10:26:31 AM »
madison cost of living is higher than other wis cities. the housing cost in madison is higher by $20k+. salary pay is average with other cities, therefore u don't make as much as someone living in say oshkosh, gb, or milwaukee. you get more bang for your buck making $50k/yr in oshkosh than madison. but madison has a lot more amenities to offer. better schools, great place for raising a family. 

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »
How's Madison?

SF.. ugh.. Cost of Living Sucks. Traffic Sucks.  Weather sometimes sucks.  i'll pass.

I cant complain.  We should catch up later.  PM me or facebook my wife.  I'm still working on the west side.

Advertisements