Advertisement

Author Topic: How you view about these recent strike by teachers?  (Read 4097 times)

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
How you view about these recent strike by teachers?
« on: April 03, 2018, 03:20:28 AM »
Always a little bit more money.  More money to run the school system and more money to hire the best to teach plus 5% pay raise for all educators. 

Without doing my research, have these strikes ever fail?  So when a kid cries, they tend to get what they want or at least a union renegotiation. 

What a powerful group indeed. 

Like this post: 0
X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Adverstisement

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
Re: How you view about these recent strike by teachers?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 11:36:13 AM »
They're not asking much.  Teachers are overworked and underpay.  Over the years, there's deeper cuts made to education and my state is no different.  Educators are demand to do more w/ less resources. 

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 11:54:36 AM »
They're not asking much.  Teachers are overworked and underpay.  Over the years, there's deeper cuts made to education and my state is no different.  Educators are demand to do more w/ less resources.

Depends as I know some teachers make close to 100k a year and they only work about 180 days a year and about 30 hours per week with no homework/test to grade or lesson plans to prep at home...only while they are on the clock...

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 12:13:20 PM »
I think the substitutes are the struggling teachers.

Then again, I never had a sub where they take over the class because they were just good on a one day assignment.  Most had notes from the full timer to what and how to teach and what homework is to be expected. 

These days, with net services through your Fon running decent fast speed, I can picture a sub just kick back at the desk n online browsing for the next full hour. 

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 12:18:05 PM »

Everyone is overworked and underpaid.  Increases has not come to US workers for over 10 years.  Neither the DFL or GOP has done a thing about it.  Most American worker have a retirement plan called the uncertain stock market.  Most Americans are overpaying on healthcare.  I'm totally cool with teachers going on strike, but the overwork and underpaid is not exclusive to teachers -- IT IS EVERYONE on salary.  The reality is this trend will continue because capitalism without a heart is where we are at.  You take capitalistic economy and judea christian value and the system works.  You take capitalism and based upon no moral principles or relative moral principles like communism and it does not work for all.  All the American capitalist wants America to be China.  In China they have 3 tier citizen: born rich, born in SEZ and born elsewhere.  Now I've ranted too much about fair wage and politics.  LOL...  All we can do is take care of ourselves and do our own thing and keep striving to achieve higher level of success under the current game rules.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:22:08 PM by w1s3m0n »

Like this post: +1

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »
I was in a strike before. 

25% of the workers continued to work, saying that they have bills to pay.  Co workers blocking co workers from entering the building which brings tension. 

Some went on strike for 3 days but crosses over after the 4th day.  It was a strange feeling.  Those who chose to work or crosses over held their head low as they felt shameful.  I give these people all hugs and I totally understand.  I wasn't working for a living at the time so I totally get it.  Once the deal was made, strike or non strikers all gotten the goods. 

Things went back to normal but the boss never forgets who stood with him through the strike.  When it comes to the annual review, it then becomes evidentially who got a higher mark which in turns a higher raises. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 01:54:03 AM »
Depends as I know some teachers make close to 100k a year and they only work about 180 days a year and about 30 hours per week with no homework/test to grade or lesson plans to prep at home...only while they are on the clock...

I know teachers here with 15-20 yrs of teaching making 80-100k.  Nowadays some are lazy with No HW Policy.  Your child is only required to read 20-25 min each night.  Most of the time my kids has no HW when they get home by 2:30pm.  These teacher come to school with nothing.  Leave with nothing.  Just their purse/bag and water bottle. Not like back during our time they would have stacks of papers to grade, prepare next day lesson, etc. 

My younger kids will probably not learned as much as my oldest did.  I don't care if their report card is good.  When no papers are coming home.  No more Friday Spelling Test come home showing how they did.  Everything is in heir club chromebook at school.  No access to it at home beside logging to read or do math for fun. 

My son in 2nd grade every quarter they are the top class with the highest combine reading score.  They get to have a pizza party.  I'm the parent that volunteer to pick it up each time.  His teacher can always depend on me to help with buying little stuffs they need for the classroom from snacks, air freshener, etc.  His teacher is known as one that is fun.  They do a lot of singing or show for the school. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 02:02:18 AM »
I think the substitutes are the struggling teachers.

Then again, I never had a sub where they take over the class because they were just good on a one day assignment.  Most had notes from the full timer to what and how to teach and what homework is to be expected. 

These days, with net services through your Fon running decent fast speed, I can picture a sub just kick back at the desk n online browsing for the next full hour.

Last year teachers used IRemind App.  This year Dojo class app.  Not every teacher is on it.  The one who does use it often to communicate and update what is going on in the classroom does it every other day. 

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 11:07:09 AM »
If you break it down to unit pay, some public school teachers are getting paid around $80-90 dollars per hour. Now if we multiply that hourly wage by a typical 40 hour work week and over 200 plus work days a year like in many other fields, some teachers are making around $150k plus...a year in annual salary.

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »
teachers should include that they use their body as shields, in their strike, ask for higher pension due to the high risk.  what's sad is the state would offer 500million of tax money to build a new stadium for a sports team that might not even win a championship but risk 30million in educational cut back..MN is an example.

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 01:52:22 PM »
If you break it down to unit pay, some public school teachers are getting paid around $80-90 dollars per hour. Now if we multiply that hourly wage by a typical 40 hour work week and over 200 plus work days a year like in many other fields, some teachers are making around $150k plus...a year in annual salary.

Long term teachers do make very good money because with their benefits and retirement in a compounding process, they can make a ton of money.  New teachers do make less.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 06:55:07 PM »

You got to be kidding... overworked, how? They work 10 months out of the year and get time off for all the breaks the kids have.
Heck, they don't even give out homework anymore. My nieces and nephews never have homework now.

Pay should be base on merits, like all of us.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 08:26:54 PM »
Many public school districts in destitute areas are nothing more than free daycare for the poor at the expense of taxpayers. Taxpayers are already providing more than their fair share to these districts so demanding more is simply egregious.

What I suggest should happen is a serious purge in these districts. I don't have issues with impoverished families, I have a problem with those sucking the system dry. The reason why poor districts do so badly is not because there are poor families, but because those poor have to put up with the scourge that is too often dumped into their neighborhoods. Because they are poor, they have to put up with every crackhead, dopehead, and irresponsible garbage human being ever to exist. These families do not demand enough from their civic leaders to take out the trash. 

Leftists DO NOT HELP TAKE OUT THE TRASH, they HOARD IT. This is why minority communities are unable to police themselves. Every time someone calls attention to trash, Leftists cry racism, sexism, or some other -ism.

How are parents from a poor district suppose to clean up their schools when every time they attempt to do so, Leftists come in to save the trash?

Personally, I don't care if you're Hmong. If you're nothing but a dope-head, freeloader, bum, and such, you are gone. 

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »

I don't know that teachers make that much.  Many of the teachers you see on strike actually working additional jobs to support their family. 

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 06:01:39 PM »
I don't know that teachers make that much.  Many of the teachers you see on strike actually working additional jobs to support their family.

Yep. There's not much overtime if any (except Summer school?) so their annual salary is pretty much set. With that said, if those salaries are broken down to hourly wage, teachers are not doing too bad overall...

Advertisements