Advertisement

Author Topic: Let's discuss Seventh Day Adventist  (Read 1287 times)

Yengimer

Let's discuss Seventh Day Adventist
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:18:41 AM »
I'm not really an expert on the SDA but I'll try to write what I know based off of my years of dealing with them.
SDA strongly believe in keeping of the 10 commandments, especially the 4th commandment. They believe they are also the true Church just like Mormons (because they kept the law, they are closer to God.)

One complication in dealing with the SDA is that they are probably using the Clear World Bible, an SDA paraphrase where they have changed all the verses that don't fit their theology. Similarly to how the Jehovah Witnesses uses the New World Translation.

Now let's get back to what SDa actually believe.  SDA believe there was a distinction between the 10 Commandments written on stones and the Book of Law. The 10 Commandments were place inside the Ark of the Covenant and the Book of Law were written on parchment and was place beside it. Hence the distinction.

SDA believe that the Law of Moses were abolished but not the 10 Commandments.

This is one point I actually agree with them. We are not under the Jewish "ceremonial" law - which was a punishment for sin...
We are still under the moral law - it, like God never changes.

SDA would argue that the Book of Law was fulfilled in Christ and gone but not the 10 Commandments. The fact that it was place inside the Ark of covenant should tell us it is more significant over the Book of Moses.

Just to clarify. The Book of Law and the Book of Moses are the same.

The question is do we still keep the Sabbath?

In a certain context it did bring death via not obeying them....

Commandment = thou shall/thou shall not do such and such.

Statute = how you are to do or not do such and such.

Judgment = what happens to you if you do or don't do such and such.

In many cases breaking the law equated to death.

The moral law was a universal thing. Even though different cultures did not worship Yahweh, they did not need the 10 Commandments to know it was wrong to murder and committing adultery before the time of Moses. That's why the other name for moral law is "Natural Law"... It's "natural" to all people.

Tell me what you think and what your views are.

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

Yengimer

Re: Let's discuss Seventh Day Adventist
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:38:17 AM »
Now to refute SDA theology. We will go to Paul's writings in 2 Corinthians 3:7-11

2Co 3:7  Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was,
2Co 3:8  will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious?
2Co 3:9  If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness!
2Co 3:10  For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory.
2Co 3:11  And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

Paul makes no distinction between the 10 Commandments and the rest of the Law. He describes the commands "engraved in letters on stone" as part of the ministry that brought death. They are important because they lead to the coming of Christ and the Holy Spirit, who gave the believers "the ministry that brings righteousness."

Paul even says that if you are led by the Spirit, then you are not under the law. (Galatians 5:18)

SDA don't care much for me... After I exposed their teachings.

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »
I believe man has always been drawn to "worship" what is above him... In this way paying homage to God (or God's ) is 'moral'. I say moral because every society of people have had their deities they worshiped.

In the case of the Sabbath commandment, as far as I understood, is the act of observing time to worship God... is moral. The time that's done however is ceremonial. That's the difference as far as I see.

This is why the early Christians Church got together on Sunday.

Christians don't observe any of the ceremonial of Judaism.

Sabbath is part of the ceremonial laws which have passed away.

A moral law is in force all the time while a ceremonial law requires the passing of time to activate...

See the difference?

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 05:39:32 AM »

The question is do we still keep the Sabbath?

The 3rd commandment is the "act" of making/keeping the "Sabbath day" (the 7th day of the week) a holy day. Then it goes on to explaining why it should be kept it that day. Note, that commandment is the longest and most detailed out of the ten.

Like this post: 0

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 10:20:41 PM »
I use the same explanation when I get questions about why we don't observe Mosaic Laws. Some people are like, "well then how come you Christians eat seafood?" Because we're not under Mosaic Laws.

Like this post: 0

Advertisements