Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone in here have a Master's?? PhD??  (Read 199 times)

Offline Allday-24

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Anyone in here have a Master's?? PhD??
« on: April 29, 2018, 06:01:23 AM »
Hello all, this question pertains to those of you who have already completed a post graduate degree or going through a post graduate program. I am brainstorming what I want to invest the next 1-3 years in. I have a degree in Business of Science in MGMT. Pretty broad degree, so if someone could share with me their experiences that'd be great. Go Go!!!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline treasure

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone in here have a Master's?? PhD??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 02:01:08 AM »
i have a doctor's degree. it was hard. owe a lot of money but also make a good income now. at one point i wanted to quit due to poor test grade but kept studying n pulled thru. i say go for it.

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +229
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone in here have a Master's?? PhD??
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 02:23:07 AM »
I have a Master Degree in Social Work.   My field does not apply to any situation. Even my Bachelor Degree in Social Work does not apply to most people. 

Like treasure said.  It was hard, I was lucky enough to get a grant that covered almost all of my tuition, i payed 700 each semester for tuition so I survived without loans, of course I have family to help support me. 
It was stressful,  It tests just how strong you are and how strong your foundation is.  If you have a poor foundation, you fell over easily.  I had family to support me,friends to support me, I am a bit of a social person so I reached out to classmates, we did homework together, studied together, hung out, we basically bonded over the 2 years and it made the process easier and when something tough came along, we were able to stand tall.

Others who didn't make time to hangout with classmates, who chose to be more of a one man army.  They more often than not, cracked as the pressure came on. 

And here's another tidbit.  By making the effort, when we finished, we helped eachother land jobs.  Many of us work together at the same agency.  Those who didn't, they struggle.  We have a facebook group for our cohort and there's always people posting requesting for job openings and yea these are the same ones that didn't reach out and bond with peers so they fell behind.

Go for it.  It's an opportunity that not many gets to take.

- OR. If there are other factors that are slowing you down. Wait till live smooths.  I have classmates in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s.  All ages.  Some chose to begin their education and career after they had kids and had fun.  It's a different approach, but for them it worked.

Try to change the things you cannot accept.

Advertisements