Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone in here have a Master's?? PhD??  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Allday-24

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Anyone in here have a Master's?? PhD??
« on: April 29, 2018, 06:01:23 AM »
Hello all, this question pertains to those of you who have already completed a post graduate degree or going through a post graduate program. I am brainstorming what I want to invest the next 1-3 years in. I have a degree in Business of Science in MGMT. Pretty broad degree, so if someone could share with me their experiences that'd be great. Go Go!!!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

treasure

Re: Anyone in here have a Master's?? PhD??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 02:01:08 AM »
i have a doctor's degree. it was hard. owe a lot of money but also make a good income now. at one point i wanted to quit due to poor test grade but kept studying n pulled thru. i say go for it.

Offline techy

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 06:01:04 PM »
The saying is: skills are invaluable. But that's probably too idealistic.

Knowing what I know now, my recommendation is if you have a decent offer, take it and work in the additional education on a need basis.  If you don't have a any good offer for work/jobs, get more skills to become more competitive.

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 10:35:21 PM »
Hello all, this question pertains to those of you who have already completed a post graduate degree or going through a post graduate program. I am brainstorming what I want to invest the next 1-3 years in. I have a degree in Business of Science in MGMT. Pretty broad degree, so if someone could share with me their experiences that'd be great. Go Go!!!

Most dumb students do this:
Take LSAT, GMAT, etc...  Apply to desire school.  Get accepted by desire school.  Attend class for 2-3 years.  Rack up another 60-100k debt.  Come out making about the same money. 

Smart students do this:
Get a job at a good multinational company...don't matter what level.  Work Hard.  Get approval from manager to attend advance degree program.  Take LSAT, GMAT, etc...  Apply to local school.  Get accepted by local school.  Attend class for 3-4 years.  Rack up 10-20k debts because more than half is paid by the said company.  Come out getting a promotion and a lot more money.

Remember, when people or company invest in you, they want their ROI.  This means they will promote you or lose you...guess what people do?  Don't lose you.

The smarter students will then work at the said company for 2-3 years after graduate degree, and JUMP SHIP and start to really make money...

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 10:37:24 PM by w1s3m0n »

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »
My undergrad was Computer Sci, but I did my MBA 10 years later, in my 30's.  My suggestion is, if you're going for a PH.D, do it right after your undergrad.  If you just want a masters, you can get it after a few years of work experience, but do it before you get married and have kids.  Once you have kids, it's a lot more difficult.

There's one caveat.  If your advance degree will be a STEM degree, then do it right away.  The longer you wait, the harder it will be because you'll forget the math and physics that's required as the foundation for your advance degree.  Other degrees are okay to wait.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 09:35:54 PM »
What we have been through is not going to do you much good; you need to focus more on what you enjoy doing.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 04:08:13 PM »
The question you need to ask yourself is, "for what purpose will this degree serve?"

Graduate school is not cheap. Just getting a masters or phd because you want one so it will look good on your resume and then hoping it will make you a better job candidate is not a good reason. It all depends on your line of work, too. If it takes getting a phd to jump into a much higher pay scale then do so but only like others advise, IF YOU'VE ALREADY BEEN WORKING IN SAID FIELD.

Advertisements