Advertisement

Author Topic: This young American father even had permission and still got imprisoned in Iran  (Read 528 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Young American father imprisoned in Iran for two years now

The last memory Hua Qu (pronounced “chu”) has of her family together was during a trip to see the cherry blossoms in Washington, D.C. Under a canopy of pink petals, her husband, Xiyue (pronounced “she-yeh”), grabbed their toddler son, spinning him around in a dizzying twirl that lifted Shao Fan’s little feet right off the ground. The boy giggled as his mom captured a video of the happy moment on her iPhone. It was a short and sweet family excursion in the spring of 2016, before Xiyue Wang planned to leave his young family for Iran.

A fourth-year doctoral student at Princeton University and a Chinese-born naturalized American citizen, Wang had been invited to study Farsi by a foreign language institute in Tehran. He had also been granted permission by Iran’s Foreign Ministry to conduct research for his dissertation on late 19th and 20th century Eurasian history. 

“He was a history nerd,” said a former student of his, Patricia Crawford, in a video compiled by the Free Xiyue Wang campaign. “I’ve never seen him without a book.”

Before Princeton, he’d been a student at the University of Washington and Harvard University. So much did he value the academic opportunities he’d been given in America, he gave up his Chinese citizenship in 2009 to become a U.S. citizen. 

According to Qu, her husband thought nothing of the risks of being an American academic studying in Iran. And even when, on the week he was due to return to the U.S., Iranian authorities suddenly seized his passport and laptop, he thought it was a routine security check that would quickly clear him to return to his family. Three weeks later, Qu says, Wang disappeared. Princeton University officials retained an Iranian lawyer who eventually found Wang in Tehran’s Evin Prison.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Online Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +363
    • View Profile
Muslim country like that don't tolerate anyone outside of Iran.  Sad, but true.  :'( :knuppel2:

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Yep, I enjoy traveling to new places but I will avoid Iran and N.Korea for now..

Advertisements