Advertisement

Author Topic: bramble & ash  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
Re: bramble & ash
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 04:08:09 PM »
Pentax K1000 film camera

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 04:55:41 PM »

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 05:03:16 PM by Asharia »

Like this post: 0

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +102
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 11:26:17 AM »

Show me when you get them done. I'd love to see what you shot! And I apologize beforehand if the ones I took turned out bad.  :-[
You don't even have to ask. You know I usually just force it on you  :D   btw, how's our little sakura tree?

live simply so others may simply live
go vegan

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 03:46:39 PM »
You don't even have to ask. You know I usually just force it on you  :D   btw, how's our little sakura tree?

Omg! I forgot to update you about that. I took it home and put it on the kitchen table, and my dad didn't see it and knocked it over. It looked so sad. It survived for about a week before I threw it away.

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »
Pentax k1000 film camera

Like this post: +2

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »
Woke up this morning at 4 AM, and even though I was tired, I couldn't fall back asleep. The house was dark and silent. It felt very peaceful, like nothing else existed in that moment except for me. My eyes were heavy but some part of me resisted sleep. Alright then, I said to myself, I guess I'll stay awake for a little bit.

There were things I wanted to worry about, important things that needed attention, but in that hazy part of early morning, I couldn't find the strength or will to care about anything. This moment was all mine. No pressure, no stress, no demands from people. Just silence, and a bit of pre-dawn light that was starting to trickle through the window curtains. I'm okay, I can tell myself. The stars are still up there. The earth is still down here. And I'm still in between. It's okay.

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 04:11:53 PM »

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 12:34:27 AM »
Pentax K1000 film camera

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2018, 10:25:15 AM »
Omg! I forgot to update you about that. I took it home and put it on the kitchen table, and my dad didn't see it and knocked it over. It looked so sad. It survived for about a week before I threw it away. 
That's a bummer but I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I'm sure we can find more sakuras...

go vegan

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 12:39:07 AM »
That's a bummer but I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I'm sure we can find more sakuras...

You'll see real ones in a couple years, I imagine.  O0

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 11:11:54 PM »
sometimes it feels like you're living in a dream... sometimes it's a good dream and sometimes it's a bad dream. when you're around people the dreamlike quality fades away and reality pierces through with a sharp touch. but when you're alone, you fade away into these dreams. you grasp at anything that feels real, anything at all that will remind you that, yes, you are alive, this is real, this is not a dream. yet still it persists... I am sitting here at my computer, listening to music just as I have done for many nights. it seems like all of this happened a long, long time ago and none of it matters anymore. I think about someone who once was very special to me. there is an echo of heartache inside, but it is far away, resonating in a vessel that belongs to no one anymore. I am contained within myself now. I can still reach through this dream. Still grasp something real.

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 05:15:51 PM »

You'll see real ones in a couple years, I imagine.  O0
Yes, I'll probably leave it for last after all the sand duning. You know, my mom gave me the hardest time about my decision to relocate. I think she used every guilt trip in her arsenal --including "aren't you afraid that when you come back it'll only be to bury me". I explained to her in my broken Hmong about our impermanent nature leading all things towards death. She gave me the strangest look, as if to say "who's this person that I raised?" .... and then of course I'm heartless and cruel and a terrible daughter... why can't I just get marry like everyone else... yada yada yada... so I threw in a couple of "aw.." in there to appeased her. My dad didn't bother so much. Eh... parents are parents I suppose.

/rant

go vegan

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 07:30:38 PM »
I explained to her in my broken Hmong about our impermanent nature leading all things towards death.

I'm curious as to how you explained that kind of impermanence in Hmong. I don't think my vocab goes that deep at all.

Well, you know, I think your mom knows your heart and she knows that this is something you want but at the end of the day she's still a mother who wants her children to stay close to her. Just call and Skype and write her as much as you can.

So... We had the party for my parents last weekend. It went really well. I received a lot of compliments so I think people had a good time. It was really humbling to see the turnout; it showed me how much love and respect people have for my parents. I almost cried during my speech, which I did all in Hmong without messing up (phew) and everyone just looked lovely. I will put up some photos when I get home. My favorite part was the candy buffet so I might show a few extra pics of that too.  :D

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 10:36:54 PM »
It wasn't deep at all -- all shallow and broken I think she just pieced it together as best she could. I'm really putting myself at a disadvantage.

I'm glad everything went well. Planning a party with multiple opinions are always challenging. A candy buffet sounds awesome!! The kid in me just wanna shove my face in sugarrrrrrrr.. .(btw, I had vegan marshmallows for the first time a couple days back-- I stand firm that I'm not missing much). Also, I really wanted to develop my films but I didn't have time. I read there are a few shops in the big cities that will develop them so I'll give it a try before the year is over. Maybe this will give me an incentive to learn the language faster.. lol

go vegan

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 12:19:24 AM »

So here is the general layout of the room. We wanted to keep things simple but elegant.

This centerpiece was my nyab's idea since she was in charge of decorations. She bought the wooden dowels and assembled the lanterns herself. We decided on carnations since we were making the centerpieces a day ahead. They tend to last longer and require minimal care.

About a month before the party, it occurred to me that we would have kids in attendance. I mean, I already knew that but it REALLY occurred to me that there would be kids and they would be bored out of their minds since this was a speech-heavy event. So I made some activity kits for the kids. They were filled with coloring books, crayons, paper bag puppet materials, stickers, candy, and games.

And then I thought, well, might as well have a candy buffet to give them some fun. I had a lot of fun shopping for this part.  :D

One of the cakes we ordered. This one was poppyseed with lemon filling.. yum. So, funny story about this cake. I decided to cut long but thin rectangular shapes to serve. Uhhh I guess I wasn't smart enough to figure out that you should only cut a small portion before cutting more. Instead, I cut it right through the middle, then another long cut after that, and what happened was that half of the cake fell over. LOL. And right when that happened, I heard a *click* and saw my cousin taking a picture. I was like, "Noooooo don't take a picture of my failure!!"  ;D  So there's a picture of me cutting a cake that fell over.

An auntie volunteered to do some fruit carvings for us. I'm really glad because it made the table setting so much prettier. I ain't got those skillz.

And thank goodness for everyone who volunteered to make snacks. Everything tasted great!

The fruit table. So, I kinda overestimated on the fruits. I really, really thought people were gonna pile up on fruits but instead they piled up on the carby snacks! I mean, there were so many great fruits, you know? We ended up with tons of leftovers. At the end of the night, we ended up bagging fruits and giving them to random guests as they left. In fact I saw an old friend and as we were talking, I grabbed a bag and gave it to him and he said, "God, you are so ducking Hmong." LOL! Hey, I just wanted to get rid of the fruit, alright.

So, all in all, a good night.

Advertisements