Advertisement

Author Topic: bramble & ash  (Read 12730 times)

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +317
    • View Profile
Re: bramble & ash
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2019, 10:10:14 PM »
Asharia, I dreamt about you a few days ago.  It was so odd.  We introduced ourselves by our PH names.  I canít recollect where we were or why though.  Then I woke up.   :2funny:

LOL that's hilarious. What a random and odd dream!

I'm just imagining you introducing yourself "Hi. I'm Trouble." What a great introduction.  :D

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2019, 08:07:03 PM »
[insert self into convo]

lol. that's so funny. i also had a dream. i was just thinking about it while chillin on the
concrete steps of this church watchin people walk by with their overpriced starbucks drinks in hand,
and their fancy hats and sunglasses, and their designer bags. I was just dreaming, until someone rudely
woke me up, about rainstorms in Africa. You ever been?

No, have you?

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2019, 05:14:03 PM »
I caved in and bought another Minolta.

I know, I know, why did I buy another one when I already have one?? Well because the first one stopped working which I guess is a normal thing that happens to 40-50 year old cameras, which I didn't discover until afterwards while I was researching how to fix it. The general opinion was to send it to an expert or, more popularly, just throw it in the trash where all old tech should go. But I was sentimental and I had really loved the Minolta so I put it in my closet with the thought that maybe someday I would get it fixed. That day never came but then I saw another one being sold online and I figured, it's been years already and I'll probably never find someone to fix it so let's just get another one and hope for the best. So here I am, hoping for the best. I love my Pentax also but the Minolta worked so well in low light and bad shooting conditions. It was made for dummies like me who love photography but want something a bit more idiot proof.

For a while I was trying to convince myself that I'm worth buying a Leica for but while I was debating my inherent worth, someone bought it already. I guess that's what I get...

But for now I'm pretty excited about using the Minolta again.

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2019, 02:58:29 PM »
Movie/TV reviews (just because):

The Sinner
: I skipped Season 1 because I read the spoiler for it but I saw Season 2 and it was pretty amazing. I'm impressed by Bill Pullman's performance. Usually he plays the humble hero and the underdog, but his role in this series is a bit darker and it's nice to see him playing something different (albeit still in the good guy role). The plot was unraveled at a steady pace, with lots of red herrings and mystery, some of which were answered by the end. And it's okay that not all loose ends were tied up neatly because you can imply what happened just from little clues and bits of dialogue. It  sort of reminded me a little bit of "Sharp Objects" with Amy Adams minus the horrifying edge of terror and cynicism that usually colors Gillian Flynn's works. I think I might watch Season 1 since I heard it was even better than Season 2. Carrie Coon, who plays Vera Walker, had a really familiar voice and I found myself reacting in a disgusted way every time she spoke in a deep voice which was confusing. So I looked her up and discovered that she's the voice actor for Proxima Midnight from Avengers.  :o  That explains why I hated her voice and character but later on when I learned more about her character I grew to respect her. Also, she got her MFA from my alma mater right around the time I was still there.

Homecoming: Wow. I had no idea Julia Roberts had this level of acting in her repertoire. The way they shot the series was different: 30 minute episodes with long panning shots of usually mundane things happening. I really grew to care about the characters, including Julia's former boss who is a real piece of work. The mystery of what happened to Walter is finally revealed, thank goodness. At first I thought there was a massive government conspiracy but turns out--well I guess there was a little bit but not the extent I was imagining. Every time I predicted something, I would be proved wrong. It was a bit refreshing to see something of this quality. After I finished I researched and found that it was based on a podcast which makes it even more interesting. I think this series will open the door for new types of work, and I'm excited to see what comes next.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:01:48 PM by Asharia »

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2019, 08:28:54 PM »
My brother sent me a photo of my niece. Her hair is starting to fall out but her smile is still the same. My heart hurts.

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +483
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2019, 09:08:33 PM »
My brother sent me a photo of my niece. Her hair is starting to fall out but her smile is still the same. My heart hurts.

I'm sorry to hear this, Asharia.  :'(

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2019, 02:20:54 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this, Asharia.  :'(

Like this post: +1

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +483
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2019, 05:31:50 PM »
Sending hugs to you and your family, Asharia.  :love9:

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2019, 10:40:08 AM »

The dream started out in court. I was watching a trial going on. At the stand was a young woman. She was telling the story of how she found a little girl in a parking lot, crying and lost, and how the killer had chased the girl and then killed another woman in the parking lot. This young woman had been walking past the parking lot when she saw the little girl and was able to get her away.

Then suddenly I wasn't at the trial anymore, but at a fundraiser that my brother was having for my niece. They had rented a portable house/tent for the event. Inside were different rooms with different activities. There was one room for watching movies and another room for crafting, like making beaded necklaces. On the outside, they were selling t-shirts and toys that she likes to raise money. I picked up a t-shirt and thought that I might quite like it but I didn't have $30 on me so I put it away for later. Then I went into the house. There were a lot of people, family and friends, but I didn't see my brother or niece so I wandered around and sat down for a while. Soon my brother and niece came out of the room they were in and my niece ran to me. I picked her up and held her. Then my brother took her back and said she couldn't mingle with other people for long because it might make her sick so they were going back into the room. He took her away, and i started wandering again.

I found myself in the crafting room. There were bags and bags of beads and string. I thought to myself that my brother and nyab really went all out for this fundraiser. I decided to go outside to buy the t-shirt. I went through another door but instead of going outside it lead me to a hallway. The walls were built of dark cedar, and the doors stretched all the way down a very long hallway which I thought was odd because this portable house/tent looked very small from the outside. I decided to go down the hallway to find the way outside. I opened the first door on the right which led to a bathroom. It was small and cramped, tiled in a light blue color that somehow seemed muted and sad. There might have been a girl in there, I don't really remember. I went back into the hallway and went down to the end, sure that I would find the exit there. However at the end of the hallway was a staircase that went down. I couldn't see where it led but decided to go down anyway.

It was strange but the more I descended, the more it seemed like everything around me turned fuzzy and slightly scratchy, like I was watching a tape on a VCR. People were walking up and down beside me too. Everyone was dressed in clothes that seemed to be from another era. They ignored me. I got down to the bottom of the staircase, but hadn't left the stairs yet. There were people down there and when they saw me, they waved at me to go to them. Part of me wanted to, out of curiosity's sake (just a little farther won't hurt, it said) but there was a more vital part of me that said, "Do not go down there." So I turned and went back up the stairs. But the stairs had turned steep and I had to crawl. The way back up seemed infinitely longer than the way down.

Somehow, I found myself back at the top of the stairs. I opened the first door I saw and went through it, bursting outside the portable house/tent.

Night had fallen. I had the sense that it was very late. The fundraising event must have ended much earlier. Or, as I slowly turned around to look, possibly abandoned. It seemed like everyone had just left suddenly without clearing anything up. The toys and t-shirt that I had planned on buying earlier were still sitting outside, as if no one had thought to pack them away. Everything was covered in a light layer of snow. Or possibly ash. I was too scared to look closer. Garbage was lying on the ground, and there was a stillness in the air that seemed wrong.

A sound drew my eyes ahead. There was a woman and a girl walking with a dog. Then there was a shout, and the girl and the dog came running my way. They shot past me and into the parking lot behind me. I saw a dark shadow going for the woman. She screamed at us to run.

My heart pounding in my chest, I turned and ran into the parking lot as well. I caught up to the girl. The dog had disappeared. I cast my eyes about to look for it when I saw a figure standing on the sidewalk, outside of the parking lot. It was the young woman from the trial. In that instant I realized that I wasn't the witness who had survived. I was the murder victim. I pushed the girl towards the young woman and told her to run. Just as I did so, I heard a sound behind me and knew that the killer was there. I was going to die.

But part of me also knew that this was a dream. So I pushed and pushed. It felt like I was pushing through sand. My eyes snapped open and I woke up with a gasping breath.

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2019, 08:28:13 PM »
Today has kinda been a disappointment . It's nothing big but I feel a little defeated, like why do I even try? Is it the effort that counts or the actual product that's been made?

I'm still at work because I don't want to go home. Because at home I have to start a writing project that's been hanging over me for the last couple days. Because the story is scary and I don't want to go to bed with those thoughts in my head. Because those thoughts seem to bring strange happenings. Because these kinds of stories mean I have to dig into a facet of my imagination that I don't have the courage to face right now. But what else can I do? Call them and say I can't write it because I'm too scared? Just imagine the laughter or ridicule or even worse, the pity.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +102
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2019, 08:44:04 AM »
Today has kinda been a disappointment . It's nothing big but I feel a little defeated, like why do I even try? Is it the effort that counts or the actual product that's been made?

I'm still at work because I don't want to go home. Because at home I have to start a writing project that's been hanging over me for the last couple days. Because the story is scary and I don't want to go to bed with those thoughts in my head. Because those thoughts seem to bring strange happenings. Because these kinds of stories mean I have to dig into a facet of my imagination that I don't have the courage to face right now. But what else can I do? Call them and say I can't write it because I'm too scared? Just imagine the laughter or ridicule or even worse, the pity.

"Fish got to swim, birds got to fly..."

We do what we do because it defines us. The moment we stop doing what we do, we no longer exist.

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2019, 10:23:56 PM »

pentax k1000

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2019, 05:04:30 PM »
Currently I'm writing something related to the horror genre and as I was writing alone at home, I heard a noise coming from the kitchen. My heart thumped once in my chest, almost painfully. I stopped typing on the keyboard and stayed still, listening for anything else. I drew in a long breath while I waited. However there was nothing else, just the quiet hum of the computer and the sounds of cars on the street outside. Now, I come to a decision. Do I stay here and ignore it? Or do I investigate? In almost all horror movies, people who investigate end up being killed or haunted. Then again, so do a large percentage of those who don't investigate either. So am I a coward or am I the brave heroine who faces her fears? Am I going to get killed or haunted? Is this a horror movie? Oh Lord, I hope not. It's just reality. I have more to fear from home burglaries than I do anything else.

I took another deep breath and told myself to suck it up. I saved the word document (not taking any chances here) and got up, then slowly walked down the hallway, looking into each room as casually as I could, then reached the kitchen. There, I stopped and took a moment to gather myself. Everything seemed in order. Everything was where I had last placed it. I went to the doorway that leads down to the basement and listened there for a moment. Not a sound, not even the noise of the washing machine reached my ears. For a brief moment I wondered if I should go down there to finish the laundry but that thought had not appeared long enough before I said to myself "Fuck that" and closed the door to the basement.

Everything is fine, I told myself as I walked back to my room. The story is just a story, and you are just putting words down. It has no meaning and will not reach this world. You control it.

So now, hours later, with wet laundry still waiting for me downstairs, I am only a few pages ahead with still many more to go, and I can't escape that prickly feeling from reaching the back of my neck. I suppose I could play music to drown it all out but that would also interfere with my concentration. So here I am, writing it out so that it won't have to stay inside where it might fester and make things worse. That's the plan, anyway. I'm still a little scared to go into the basement (let's not think about the stories people have told us) and I just want to get this writing project done and over with. I want to turn on something lighthearted and comedic to distract me. I had forgotten how eerie, how disturbing, how completely overwhelming and cavernous the silence can be.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +102
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2019, 08:44:24 AM »
1. Do you write as a hobby or to pay the bills?

2. Bring a flashlight. It'll function as both a light source and as a weapon.

3. If the origin of the noise stems from a paranormal source, good luck!

Offline Asharia

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2019, 12:00:53 AM »
1. Do you write as a hobby or to pay the bills?

2. Bring a flashlight. It'll function as both a light source and as a weapon.

3. If the origin of the noise stems from a paranormal source, good luck!

1. Both.
2. I'll keep that in mind for next time.
3. Thanks!  :D

All is well. 

Advertisements