Advertisement

Author Topic: Like the cheongsam prom dress, no issues with this White woman's Maori tattoo  (Read 523 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1323
    • View Profile
...either.

White woman accused of appropriating Maori culture with her chin tattoo: 'It's not acceptable'

A New Zealand life coach has been taken to task over her controversial face tattoo, which she has been accused of using to help boost her business.

Sally Anderson, who runs a firm called Evolved Leadership, had a traditional Maori “moko kauae” tattooed on her chin several years ago as a symbol of hardship after she was sexually assaulted as a teenager in the 1980s.

But after images of the tattoo surfaced on her business’s website, the life coach, whose husband is of Maori descent, was accused of appropriating the culture of New Zealand’s indigenous people for personal gain.

Mera Lee-Penehira, an associate professor at New Zealand school Te Whare Wananga o Awanuiarangi, said it does appear that Anderson is using the tattoo “as business branding.”

“I do think there’s a level of cultural appropriation and I do think there’s a level of white privilege that’s being displayed here, and I think we need to be really cautious about that,” she told the BBC.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
Almost every human beings everywhere judges another.  If you can take their criticism, on how you dress to how you look to what you do, than by all means do continue.  Me, as I have mentioned many, many times before.  their life, their choice.  I simply don't care.

Like this post: 0

Advertisements