Advertisement

Author Topic: It's not often to see a pro athlete turning down money especially a rookie  (Read 666 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
 ???:

Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes turned down endorsements because he wasn't playing

While quarterbacks selected in the first round of the NFL draft can cash in on endorsement offers, Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes chose not to during his first year in the league.

On the bench behind starter Alex Smith, Mahomes didn't see the field for the Kansas Chiefs until Week 17. Because he wasn't playing, the rookie QB and his agent thought it would be a distraction to engage in activities that would thrust him into the public eye.

“We talked about how the first year the goal was to integrate into the team, and the only way to do that is to pay deference to the incumbent veterans and try not to go into the situation with a high profile,” agent Leigh Steinberg said.

“We intentionally didn’t do endorsements that would run in the Kansas City area even though they were offered. We didn’t want him to be on billboards and everything when he wasn’t even playing.”

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
I don't care about the CHEFS.  ;D Bad decision. He should have talked to Lebron. ;D

Like this post: 0
I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Advertisements