Advertisement

Author Topic: 4WD vs 4x4  (Read 2827 times)

Offline mind-teaser

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
4WD vs 4x4
« on: June 11, 2018, 04:01:25 PM »
Explain what a 4WD Drive is compare to a 4x4? 

Does this mean you can drive (turn on) your said 4WD in any speed (0-140 mph)...whereas a 4x4 can only be driven between 0-55 mph?

Explain the difference please?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1320
    • View Profile
Re: 4WD vs 4x4
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 06:02:24 PM »
Explain what a 4WD Drive is compare to a 4x4? 

Does this mean you can drive (turn on) your said 4WD in any speed (0-140 mph)...where as a 4x4 can only be driven between 0-55 mph?

Explain the difference please?

I think you meant AWD (All Wheel Drive) and not "4WD" as 4WD is considered the same as "4x4".

AWD systems tend to be full-time so no switching back and forth i.e., Nissan GT-R, Toyota Highlander. 4WD or 4x4 systems tend to be part-time so the driver has to manually switch it from 2WD to 4WD and back when needed i.e., Jeep Wrangler, Toyota Tacoma. I know for my current Tacoma 4x4, in order to switch from 2WD to "H4" 4WD, the speed has to be below 60mph.

4WD vehicles like the Wrangler and Tacoma generally have a "L4" 4WD option too for maximum traction capability while off-roading. In order to switch to Lo 4WD on my 6-speed manual drive Tacoma, it can't be any faster than a couple of mph. For the automatic version, it has to come to a complete stop and shift to neutral before it can be switch to Lo 4WD.

AWD systems tend to be smoother and better for gas mileage and rapidly changing road conditions and commonly found in cars, minivans, and car based SUVs (CR-V). 4WD systems tend to better for off-roading and shouldn't be use on dry paved roads and are commonly found in real trucks, and truck based SUVs (4Runner). Basically if you are an off-road enthusiasts, 4WD is the way to go because that's where the system really shines i.e., driving through mud, climbing over boulders, fording deep water, and crawling steep hills with loose, low-traction surfaces. Pretty much low speed stuff.

Like this post: 0

Advertisements