Advertisement

Author Topic: A Life Changing Book?  (Read 834 times)

Offline Rebel

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
A Life Changing Book?
« on: July 15, 2018, 01:41:12 PM »
If you can give one book to a group of high school students to read in the hope that it will change their life, what will the book be? And why?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +435
    • View Profile
Re: A Life Changing Book?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 02:41:31 AM »
The Bible.

However, I highly recommend that they listen to the dramatized audiobook versions.

Offline Rebel

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 09:15:27 PM »
The Bible.

However, I highly recommend that they listen to the dramatized audiobook versions.

You can't be serious! lol 

Anyways, I went to a bible study a week ago and the pastor told me that those who does not speak tongue have not received the holy ghost and will not go to heaven. I was like, "what? ok..." of course, I asked how I can achieve that and he told me that it all depends...not everyone can speak it.

I guess it can be motivational and life changing depending on how you look at it. Thanks for the recommendation :D

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +113
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 10:43:02 AM »
If you can give one book to a group of high school students to read in the hope that it will change their life, what will the book be? And why?
First, what kind of high school students? Precocious ones? Lazy ones? Round pegs in square holes ones? I don't know the groups you're talking about but I'm going to assume and you're going to entertain me the idea.. that high school kids, or any kid, sometimes have short attention spans so any book (such as the bible that's been recommended by the previous person, though, i can't tell if they're being sarcastic are not because, if anything, the bible only glorifies death and why think about death when you've yet to start living though, if you will, please note that the irony in my recommendation does not escape me) have to be able to keep said students interested. this is where i tell you that Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett, in less than 300 pages (with 20 of them being indices and footnotes) is an easy read without having to read the entire discworld created by Pratchett --imagine Death gained a personality so the god of gods made him redundant; out of a job Death is force to live like us mortals, eventually leading to, yes, death knocking at Death's door but first there's zombies and wizards (though not the Harry Potter kind) and snow globes and shopping centers. is Reaper Man satirical? comical? sci-fi? philosophical? i'm not sure--categorization is an exercise in futility. i will say this, i read reaper man sporadically not because i'm incorrigible but with every stage of life comes new understanding. .. so maybe it's not such a bad idea to help stretch the young minds of the future because we're always telling, and being told, to be the light because light heals, light is fastest but well... "light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. no matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."  in darkness the mind wanders for affirmation where books can't reach if it can't be read.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:37:40 AM by highway »

live simply so others may simply live
go vegan

Advertisements