Advertisement

Author Topic: Speaking of "last name", I personally think this is not a good reason  (Read 954 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
...to have a son for...

So now that my daughter is a toddler, some Hmong people have been asking us when is our second child coming. Our respond is always the same: we were on the fence for years and finally decided to have one child and go from there and so far we are still good with one child so no "second" one needed at the moment.

Some understand where we are coming from because raising a child appropriately is such a big responsibility with a huge upfront investment (time, energy, money, dedication) and also understand that not all individuals, their situation and/or preference are the same so everyone has the right to do what's right for them.

Here's the fun part because dude actually seemed kind of disappointed with my response:

A dude approached me and insist that I should have a son so he can carry my family last name to the next generation. I told him that's not a good reason to have a son or child for. Plus, there are tons of people out there with the last name Yang so the chance of it dying off in the near future is very low to zero chance.

I also told him that I prefer a girl (not because a girl is better than a boy or vice-versa) but purely for financial reasons based on the research and data I've seen. And if we plan to have another child down the road, I still prefer a girl for that same reason.

Plus, whose to say that a girl won't keep her last name even after marriage or that her kids won't take her last name instead of their dad's last name and/or take both last names when they are old enough to make that decision for themselves??  ??? ...because they also have every right to pursue their own preferences in life...

And for those that care so much about their kids carrying the family last name to the next generation, hope their kids don't change their last name down the road because that has also happened (children choosing a different last name than their own family last name)..That would suck for sure... ;D

The name thing is just not a big deal to me but my child becoming a good and productive member of society and he/she returning the love and dedication back to me is way more meaningful to me..

..So to each his/her own... O0

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
You know what I will say here...

Men, no. Women, yes.  ;D :D

If I'm a Patel and she's a Smith. I will not become a Smith  ;D

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
You say you don’t mind
But prefer girl
Because of your research

Lol

Just go with whatever the invisible man in the sky give u

God did not created man...man created god

Offline Yebleng

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
You shouldn't get offended so easily.

flint-rod

girls are needy and sensitive...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
You know what I will say here...

Men, no. Women, yes.  ;D :D

If I'm a Patel and she's a Smith. I will not become a Smith  ;D

And you know what I will say here...*depends*... ;D ;D

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
You say you don’t mind
But prefer girl
Because of your research

Lol

Just go with whatever the invisible man in the sky give u

Another display of epic failure from hmgFRAUD...Lov e it..and I "think god" for it.. :idiot2: ;D

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
You shouldn't get offended so easily.

Wasn't me if that's what you're referring to but the other "dude" that has no concept of personal choices, preferences, and rights...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
girls are needy and sensitive...

Depends...but based on my research and the data I've seen, girls cost less to raise from birth through 18 *on average*..

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 12:55:47 AM by theking »

Advertisements