Advertisement

Author Topic: back from BWCA  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
back from BWCA
« on: July 23, 2018, 06:49:42 AM »
and live......some pictures to share with you fine folks.  Although I enjoyed it and would love to do it again, it was a lot of work.  My back, legs, shoulders, and lack of sleep is killing me this morning.  Carrying your packs and canoe through them portages was the toughest.  But we made it. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
Re: back from BWCA
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 07:57:13 AM »
Wow, thanks for sharing. Nice ics. O0

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 09:21:38 AM »
For those who love the great outdoors the BWCA is awesome.  Was just there back in June too.  Entry point was through Lake One then paddled to lake Two, Three.  Heck of a drive from Southeastern Wisconsin though...

Special_K

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 10:08:14 AM »
It's been awhile since I've been up there, but the last time we were able to still drink from the lakes. Is it still the same? It's a lot work portaging but so worth it. We portaged probably about 4-5 islands. Spent a week and a half up there. One night my friend woke up and was in pain, her arms cramped up so bad from all the rowing... we massaged her arms all night, pulled out our sleeping bags and watched for falling stars. They were so close. So beautiful.

Did you guy's have a guide?

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 10:28:44 AM »
It's been awhile since I've been up there, but the last time we were able to still drink from the lakes. Is it still the same? It's a lot work portaging but so worth it. We portaged probably about 4-5 islands. Spent a week and a half up there. One night my friend woke up and was in pain, her arms cramped up so bad from all the rowing... we massaged her arms all night, pulled out our sleeping bags and watched for falling stars. They were so close. So beautiful.

Did you guy's have a guide?
Just to be safe, one of the guys in the group bought a platypus water filter.  Works good.  Just collect and forget until when need it.

Some lake/s were clearer, looks cleaner than others.  No, we didn't have a guide.  We rented the canoes from a outfitter though.   

Offline Yebleng

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »
Whats bwca?

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 11:27:41 AM »
Whats bwca?
boundary water canoe area.  northern Minnesota.

Offline Yebleng

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 12:46:14 PM »
Nice. That's what I want to do one day. Canoe down a river and camp out where ever I stop.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »
I used to like the name "boundary waters." That sounded real special and  exotic.But lately I've heard that people don't catch much fish there and that one has to carry canoes for a long time on shores.

I don't like places like that.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 01:51:38 PM »
I used to like the name "boundary waters." That sounded real special and  exotic.But lately I've heard that people don't catch much fish there and that one has to carry canoes for a long time on shores.

there wasn't a lot of action as far as fishing goes.  longest portage/trail we did was under 3/4 miles.  like I said, it's tough but would do it again.

Special_K

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 01:56:25 PM »

PUAHAHAHA I can't even on so many levels here!! -- Reporter, the portaging is all part of the experience! Trust me like the pho shop in the skyway, it's worth it.

-- But it's true, we only caught 3 small palm sized fishes, I got a florescent orange leech on my leg that I screamed for days about, portaged a canoe for the first time thru mud, hills and rain, but our meals were so good, it felt great and the air was refreshing.

If you live in MN you just have to do it at least once in your life. You will not regret it.

Special_K

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 02:01:04 PM »
Mr Mec - Yeah we had a guide. Her name was Kelly. Prob around her late 20's. Blonde hair, blue eyes from a small town in IL. She was cool. Never met Hmong people before. She learned a lot from us and we did from her.

We didn't have one of those, but Kelly told us to row to the middle of the lake and get water from there. We boiled it, cooked with it and drank it. The time we went up we couldn't build fires either so we had to carry propane with us for the grill.. My friends also couldn't smoke, nor have a lighter etc.. they also died, I was like thank goodness as I don't smoke. It was hauntingly beautiful in the mornings and oh the GL (government latrines)--- LOL just in the middle of nowhere with no walls. That was a trip.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 11:44:32 PM »
You know it, Special_K.

PUAHAHAHA I can't even on so many levels here!! -- Reporter, the portaging is all part of the experience! Trust me like the pho shop in the skyway, it's worth it.

-- But it's true, we only caught 3 small palm sized fishes, I got a florescent orange leech on my leg that I screamed for days about, portaged a canoe for the first time thru mud, hills and rain, but our meals were so good, it felt great and the air was refreshing.

If you live in MN you just have to do it at least once in your life. You will not regret it.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 11:45:12 PM »
If you enjoy swinging canoes over your heads and then trying to balance them to the sides here  and there, that's ok. lol

there wasn't a lot of action as far as fishing goes.  longest portage/trail we did was under 3/4 miles.  like I said, it's tough but would do it again.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:32:18 AM by Reporter »

"...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 01:40:18 AM »
Nice photos, very calm scenery, thanks for sharing!

Also nice catch... O0

Advertisements