Advertisement

Author Topic: Chinatown Los Angeles--Discrimination against Hmong  (Read 4120 times)

Hmonggirl1

Chinatown Los Angeles--Discrimination against Hmong
« on: August 06, 2018, 09:25:06 AM »
Hello my Hmong friends and family. I would like to inform everyone and please pass the words out to your families, friends, and so on so forth about my experience while browsing in Chinatown LA. On August 1, 2018, my mom and I went to Chinatown and were browsing through the vendors and clothes in the 821 N Spring, Los Angeles, one of the main shopping centers there in Chinatown where many Hmong come to buy clothes and accessories to resell in the Midwest or Northern California. Most people might come through the front building which has the address of 828 Broadway, both since the building is behind this building most people think the address is 828 Broadway, however it's 821 N. Spring, Los Angeles. Anyway, my mom and I were shopping and looking at clothes and accessories and came to a store or vendor called 'Luvienne' . The man there, with an angry face, told us not to go inside his store after my mom and I looked at some of the clothes on the rack outside. We then walked around to the other side after he told us not to enter the store. Around the corner,  there stood his old mother making ugly faces and gestures at us too, a sign for us to go away. I didn't do or say anything except thinking these Chinese people are so rude and started walking away until the old lady started talking to her son in Chinese which I don't understand except the word 'Hmong'. I then got angry and turned around, walked back to the old lady and confronted her and told her that indeed, we are Hmong. And what is wrong with that? The old lady then said ' I know you are Hmong people and get out!' I was not shocked, just angry that these Chinese people in Los Angeles Chinatown loves our money but hate us. To make the story short, I did not walk away quietly after that.

We Hmong people shopped a lot and buy a lot from these Chinese merchants to the point where they even know how to
Speak Hmong fluently. Please my Hmong family and friends, pass the words to your mom, dad, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, friends, and every one you know to please stay away from this shop 'Luvienne' located at 821 N Spring, Los Angeles, suite 167A and possibly 165. This store is very racist against all Hmong. If you must shop there, proceed with caution and only touch if you plan to buy anything. You have been warned. This practice is only good in China, here in the United States, we are not going to let any one put us Hmong down with disrespectful  treatment. I'm proud to be Hmong.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
Re: Chinatown Los Angeles--Discrimination against Hmong
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:08:57 AM »
brush it off and go shop somewhere else.  there're always gonna be people like that.  except the fact that not everyone on this entire earth is I love you, you love me. 

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 10:13:25 AM »
The street is so dirty there. They call that the Dynasty Center building? Man, they need to do some cleaning around the building.

Asians who seclude themselves like the Chinese do there are not exposed to different cultures; they don't know how to respect differences.

But I wonder why these people didn't have better customer services for the well-being of their businesses.

Yes, best to boycott them by not patronizing their businesses, so that they will respect their customers more.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:10:02 PM by Reporter »

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

winerice

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
I don't expect good customer service from there and it is best to shop elsewhere. Many china towns are filthy and dirty anyway.

Offline Yebleng

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 11:29:03 AM »
I'm not surprised. Me and my family was in China town NYC awhile back and my sister was browsing a jewelry shop. She had asked the chinese woman at the counter if they sell a certain gold and her reply was, "if you don't like it, don't buy" I was shocked. Me and my family just head straight to the door and out of Chinatown. Chinese people are freaken rude and disgusting. They don't value anything and have no respect.

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »
My big troubles in little chinatown...

i, too, was there not long ago...paid a visit to china town (primarily for sightseeing).  one would think that they would welcome you with open arms (since we're all asian et all) but that is certainly not the case.  the shop owners are aggressive and quite rude when it comes to their merchandise.  if you look at it, ask to see it, and/or touches it...they will try and convince you to buy it, even to the point of forcing.  one can negotiate the price if you're really interested, as the products are over priced to begin with and made with poor materials/fabrics.  i would not be caught dead wearing them. 

next stop was at a fruit juice stand...i asked for a cup of fresh squeezed sugar cane juice ($4.00).  the lady took out some used canes and ran it through the machine.  I looked at her and shook my head, "mam, can you get me new canes, instead..i don't want those!"  She looked at me and said, "it's okay, still the same..." i replied, "no, no thank you...i don't want it anymore.." and left.  She gave me the death stare.

went into a dim sum restaurant, a couple of tables were available by the window and asked if we could sit there...the waitress declined and said it was reserved.  as we sat down, a white couple came in and ask for the same tables, they were situated there.  the carts rolled around and few dishes were served...the food was cold, we immediately dropped our spoons and said we had to go.  they charged us $20something plus the WATER! 

if i ever go back to china again, i might have to do some karate chops and kungfu on them republic of chinese people...i'd rather give my money to them mexicans.

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 02:45:20 PM »
Wowzers… maybe some hmongs have wronged them in the past?

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +648
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 06:26:08 PM »
Hello my Hmong friends and family. I would like to inform everyone and please pass the words out to your families, friends, and so on so forth about my experience while browsing in Chinatown LA. On August 1, 2018, my mom and I went to Chinatown and were browsing through the vendors and clothes in the 821 N Spring, Los Angeles, one of the main shopping centers there in Chinatown where many Hmong come to buy clothes and accessories to resell in the Midwest or Northern California. Most people might come through the front building which has the address of 828 Broadway, both since the building is behind this building most people think the address is 828 Broadway, however it's 821 N. Spring, Los Angeles. Anyway, my mom and I were shopping and looking at clothes and accessories and came to a store or vendor called 'Luvienne' . The man there, with an angry face, told us not to go inside his store after my mom and I looked at some of the clothes on the rack outside. We then walked around to the other side after he told us not to enter the store. Around the corner,  there stood his old mother making ugly faces and gestures at us too, a sign for us to go away. I didn't do or say anything except thinking these Chinese people are so rude and started walking away until the old lady started talking to her son in Chinese which I don't understand except the word 'Hmong'. I then got angry and turned around, walked back to the old lady and confronted her and told her that indeed, we are Hmong. And what is wrong with that? The old lady then said ' I know you are Hmong people and get out!' I was not shocked, just angry that these Chinese people in Los Angeles Chinatown loves our money but hate us. To make the story short, I did not walk away quietly after that.

We Hmong people shopped a lot and buy a lot from these Chinese merchants to the point where they even know how to
Speak Hmong fluently. Please my Hmong family and friends, pass the words to your mom, dad, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, friends, and every one you know to please stay away from this shop 'Luvienne' located at 821 N Spring, Los Angeles, suite 167A and possibly 165. This store is very racist against all Hmong. If you must shop there, proceed with caution and only touch if you plan to buy anything. You have been warned. This practice is only good in China, here in the United States, we are not going to let any one put us Hmong down with disrespectful  treatment. I'm proud to be Hmong.

Many Asian businesses do not have customer service including yours truly Hmong businesses. A business has the right to refuse services so you move on and spread the words. Don’t attack all Chinese businesses in LA for one tiny incident.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 06:40:04 PM »
Maybe you are the competing vendor from across the room and shaming them like this will stiffed the competition for you.

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 08:39:11 PM »

Every basket has good and bad apples and I'm glad to see you stand up for your rights.

BTW, does your family go there to buy merchandise and resell it at flea market and such?  ???

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 08:17:18 AM »
Same issues in Chinatown and Korean town in Chicago.  Vietnam town is a lot better.  They don't give you the death stare....

BTW, some of these "stores" are fronts for criminal gangs to launder money...   

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 08:38:10 AM »
And I was gonna ask Ms. Zhang to be my gf...Zhang Ziyi, that is.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 08:40:35 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Hmonggirl1

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 08:54:24 AM »
Many Asian businesses do not have customer service including yours truly Hmong businesses. A business has the right to refuse services so you move on and spread the words. Don’t attack all Chinese businesses in LA for one tiny incident.

Cali Guy--No one is attacking all Chinese Businesses here. And if this vendor only personally attacked me I would brush it off like some people mentioned here but they attack all Hmong ( go back and re-read my story) so I just want to stand up for my people from being treated this way! It's cowardly not to say anything or stand up for respect.

Hmonggirl1

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 08:56:42 AM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D

Proud Hmong here too! At least I stand up for my people instead of walking away like you.

Advertisements