Advertisement

Author Topic: Why I think the "there's no job" line is more of an excuse for many  (Read 1433 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
I think many just don't want to put in the effort but instead expect others to give them what they want on a silver platter... ???:

Aspiring electrician who handed out résumés on the street while holding a sign lands his first job

A formerly unemployed college graduate who stood at a busy interaction passing out his résumé and holding a sign with the hashtag #StriveForGreatness has landed a full-time job, thanks to his creativity.

In February, Texas resident De’Andre Matthews, 21, graduated from the Houston School of Carpentry but struggled to find employment. “I applied to at least 30 jobs all over Houston,” Matthews, an aspiring electrician, tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “Distance wasn’t a problem; I was willing to commute anywhere.”

After his grandmother died last week, Matthews decided to try a different approach to job hunting. Inspired by a local news story published by ABC 13 about a homeless man who stood on the street holding a sign that read “Hungry for Success” and passing out his résumé, Matthews thought: If he could do it, so could I.

Along with the hashtag #StriveForGreatness, which he borrowed from a LeBron James campaign, Matthews wrote on a sign, “I am an electrical trade school grad with no job experience. Please take a resume and help this electrician apprentice out.”

A formerly unemployed college graduate who stood at a busy interaction passing out his résumé and holding a sign with the hashtag #StriveForGreatness has landed a full-time job, thanks to his creativity.

In February, Texas resident De’Andre Matthews, 21, graduated from the Houston School of Carpentry but struggled to find employment. “I applied to at least 30 jobs all over Houston,” Matthews, an aspiring electrician, tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “Distance wasn’t a problem; I was willing to commute anywhere.”

After his grandmother died last week, Matthews decided to try a different approach to job hunting. Inspired by a local news story published by ABC 13 about a homeless man who stood on the street holding a sign that read “Hungry for Success” and passing out his résumé, Matthews thought: If he could do it, so could I.

Along with the hashtag #StriveForGreatness, which he borrowed from a LeBron James campaign, Matthews wrote on a sign, “I am an electrical trade school grad with no job experience. Please take a resume and help this electrician apprentice out.”

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
Re: Why I think the "there's no job" line is more of an excuse for many
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 09:50:18 AM »
Good for him.  The unconventional way shows determination and a strive for Excellency will take him far in life. 

With media coverage, that is an extra boast.  With viral anything is still good and free exposure. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 09:56:16 AM »
Just my own personal experience.

I went to a two year tech school for, you guessed it, electrical construction.  Towards the end of my second year, I already had a job line up.

Offline Yebleng

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 11:47:54 AM »
Electrician/engineer is good work O0

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 12:22:27 PM »
Still looking for a guy to put some good headlines like...

Used to work for Steve jobs, bill gates, buffet, bozo and don't mind smoking weed with Elon musk. 

Good credentials and you are hired as a comedian for my start  up company. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Yebleng

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 01:00:28 PM »
Its not the job its the people

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 03:51:52 PM »
. “I applied to at least 30 jobs all over Houston,” Matthews, an aspiring elect.”[/i]

Epic fail as always
Go back to ESL/ELL class
And learn to read

God did not created man...man created god

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 04:39:39 PM »

Epic fail as always
Go back to ESL/ELL class
And learn to read

Just posted something that backed up my point even more (**effort**)...He never gave up unlike the fraud that has no shame stealing from the poor...

What an EPIC FAIL! AGAIN!!

Go "buccaneers".... ;D ;D ;D

Blongforever

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 09:14:37 PM »
Just my own personal experience.

I went to a two year tech school for, you guessed it, electrical construction.  Towards the end of my second year, I already had a job line up.

If you are from “dahood” no ducking way neone can or will pay you or job you’ve done.  They’d expect you to sweat for the Idiot like the OP to rescue.  What’s the chance of that happening?  LOL

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 12:40:27 AM »
If you are from “dahood” no ducking way neone can or will pay you or job you’ve done.  They’d expect you to sweat for the Idiot like the OP to rescue.  What’s the chance of that happening?  LOL

Yep, still faoming badly ...hence the "Idiot" wrongforever had to crawl back to prove me right again despite his cries of "adios"....AND WATCH, HE'LL BE BACK AGAIN, TRUST ME!!! ;D

Offline starchaser1989

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 10:17:21 AM »
In MN, you can get 3 jobs if you wanted too, I just don't how you going to work around it but the point is there are many jobs around.  People who simply can't find a job are spitting excuses up the roof IMO.  I actually know a few lol. 

Advertisements