Advertisement

Author Topic: Now this is more like it ...Don't be like the NSX??  (Read 3663 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1320
    • View Profile
Now this is more like it ...Don't be like the NSX??
« on: September 27, 2018, 11:51:36 PM »
I was disappointed when I heard the new Supra like the new NSX wasn't sporting manual drive...so hope this changes it??  ???:

Toyota has developed a manual transmission for the Supra

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/26/toyota-supra-manual-transmission/

A sports car without a real manual drive is just not a real sports car IMO...

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline darkhelmet

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
Re: Now this is more like it ...Don't be like the NSX??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 08:43:51 AM »
Have you driven a dual clutch before?  You can drive it like a manual.  Best of both worlds.

I made you read this.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 01:03:11 AM »
Have you driven a dual clutch before?  You can drive it like a manual.  Best of both worlds.

Yes, and it's still not the same to me when compared to a traditional manual tranny with a clutch pedal. I driven a couple of cars with dual clutch tranny using the "+" and "-" shift knob in the console as well as the paddle shifter on the steering wheel but the input I get is still not the same as a traditional manual tranny with a clutch pedal. I feel like the car's computer is doing too much of the input.

With that said, I know the traditional manual tranny with a clutch pedal is dying fast and I heard the DCT is also dying right behind it because most drivers still prefer driving cars with auto tranny.. ???

Offline darkhelmet

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 08:09:58 PM »
Then you haven't really driven a dual clutch.  It takes a while to learn the in and out.
You can control everything.  Take the computer off.  You control the rpm, when it shifts, how it shifts, etc..push it hard or soft.  Everything is the same, just no pedal to deal with.  I drive with a PDK everyday.

I made you read this.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 11:52:16 PM »
Then you haven't really driven a dual clutch.  It takes a while to learn the in and out.
You can control everything.  Take the computer off.  You control the rpm, when it shifts, how it shifts, etc..push it hard or soft.  Everything is the same, just no pedal to deal with.  I drive with a PDK everyday.

I've test driven motorcycles with DCT, family members' cars with DCT as well as driven a rental car with DCT for days on road trips and still not the same for me... not enough input for manual drive purest like myself because the car's computers, solenoids and hydraulics do the actual shifting. Sure the driver can override the computer such as when to go through paddles, buttons or a gearshift but without the clutch pedal, the input is just not the same.

I know my brother in law bought a car with DCT just because his wife can't drive a real manual. When I used to visit car forums regularly, I see words "boring", "really no skills involved", or like in my brother in law's case, "got it so my spouse can drive it too" often when it comes to DCT...some owners that moved from manual drive to DCT like the change because the computers do most of the work especially in stop and go traffic but some regret their decision because of the "fun" factor...And when I drove cars with DCT, my experiences have been "boring" too.

From the manual drive purest fan's point of view, There's nothing like being able to balance the clutch and gas pedals while rev matching with the correct gear and punching it around a curve. Sure a DCT car's computer can also do that pretty well but what's the fun in that? I also find that having the clutch pedal keeps me more alert too because if you let go of it while in gear, the car will let you know by shuddering and/or stalling..

Offline darkhelmet

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 07:37:21 AM »
I've test driven motorcycles with DCT, family members' cars with DCT as well as driven a rental car with DCT for days on road trips and still not the same for me... not enough input for manual drive purest like myself because the car's computers, solenoids and hydraulics do the actual shifting. Sure the driver can override the computer such as when to go through paddles, buttons or a gearshift but without the clutch pedal, the input is just not the same.

I know my brother in law bought a car with DCT just because his wife can't drive a real manual. When I used to visit car forums regularly, I see words "boring", "really no skills involved", or like in my brother in law's case, "got it so my spouse can drive it too" often when it comes to DCT...some owners that moved from manual drive to DCT like the change because the computers do most of the work especially in stop and go traffic but some regret their decision because of the "fun" factor...And when I drove cars with DCT, my experiences have been "boring" too.

From the manual drive purest fan's point of view, There's nothing like being able to balance the clutch and gas pedals while rev matching with the correct gear and punching it around a curve. Sure a DCT car's computer can also do that pretty well but what's the fun in that? I also find that having the clutch pedal keeps me more alert too because if you let go of it while in gear, the car will let you know by shuddering and/or stalling..

Yeah that's what I thought, you don't own a DCT.  I've driven mine over a year before I got a hang of how to really use it.  A week or two ain't gonna cut it.

I made you read this.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 05:40:43 PM »

Yeah that's what I thought, you don't own a DCT.  I've driven mine over a year before I got a hang of how to really use it.  A week or two ain't gonna cut it.

Glad I don't own one as I'll be regretting like those that spent their hard earned money for a DCT car just to regret it down the road once boredom sets in because it's not a real manual with a clutch pedal...

I usually rent from Enterprise and they don't have very many real manual drive cars available so I opted for a DCT car and it's as boring as driving an automatic. My brother in law's DCT car maybe a different model than the one I rented but still just as boring. If his wife wasn't a factor, he wouldn't even consider a DCT.

Offline darkhelmet

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 05:52:44 PM »
Glad I don't own one as I'll be regretting like those that spent their hard earned money for a DCT car just to regret it down the road once boredom sets in because it's not a real manual with a clutch pedal...

I usually rent from Enterprise and they don't have very many real manual drive cars available so I opted for a DCT car and it's as boring as driving an automatic. My brother in law's DCT car maybe a different model than the one I rented but still just as boring. If his wife wasn't a factor, he wouldn't even consider a DCT.

Bro if you're driving a '18 GT3 with DCT like me you won't be bored.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 05:55:35 PM by darkhelmet »

I made you read this.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 01:19:13 AM »
Bro if you're driving a '18 GT3 with DCT like me you won't be bored.

I doubt it if it's DCT but have not driven a "GT3" so I'm not going to pretend to know how it feels. Not really a fan of Porsche due to its looks over the years but they do build some great handling cars with good power. The only Porsche I've driven is a friend's 944 back in the 80s and I know it's nothing compared to the current GT3 in the performance department but it had a real 5-speed manual with a clutch pedal... ;D

Although I'm not a fan of its looks, I'm happy to hear that the GT3 have worked well for you thus far and since it's your car, my opinion shouldn't matter anyways... Congrats! O0

Advertisements