Advertisement

Author Topic: Per Mr_Mechanic's YouTube thread, I mentioned 'suspensions'..Well here it is  (Read 871 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
This is one big disadvantage of buying a high mileage used vehicle....wit h time parts wear out and will need to be replaced...

So after watching several YouTube "how to" videos, it took me a whole day to replace several suspension parts on my Taco i.e., front struts, rear shocks, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links, control arms, etc., with my non-pro skills, tools in my garage and loaner tools from Autozone...

Step 1: Gather all the replacement parts needed:

Step 2: Get the specialty loaner tools at the auto parts store ready:

Step 3: Get the Taco prep and set up safely for some work:

Step 4: Start working:

Front struts took me the longest...

Rear shocks...

Removing old parts by all means and that includes cutting it off with a saw  ;D:

I mostly opt for the zerk version when ever possible:

An example of old vs. new:

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Not to be a naysayer but...

I hoped you torqued them to spec.

If you don't do, things could either fall apart, fall off, unscrew itself, or break from screwing it on too tight.

Some parts on the car it doesn't really matter, but suspension is one of the places it matters.

Like this post: +1
I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
youtube is great.  can learn a lot from watching youtube.  youtube is like a master/teacher that you don't have to impress.

Like this post: +1

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Not to be a naysayer but...

I hoped you torqued them to spec.

If you don't do, things could either fall apart, fall off, unscrew itself, or break from screwing it on too tight.

Some parts on the car it doesn't really matter, but suspension is one of the places it matters.
e

Yep, gotta get em moving parts to "spec"...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
youtube is great.  can learn a lot from watching youtube.  youtube is like a master/teacher that you don't have to impress.

Agree...someti mes they even show how to go around specialty tools..or home made

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Speaking of "torque", I'm glad I got this torque wrench not too long ago via Amazon Prime because my Harbor Freight manual torque wrench only goes up to 150 ft lbs...The new Craftsman torque wrench goes up to 250 ft lbs...

Why? Because my Taco's axle nut requires 173 ft.lb. torque... O0:

Advertisements