Advertisement

Author Topic: Ice Fishing 2018-19  (Read 6764 times)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Fishing 2018-19
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 08:31:52 PM »
Got back from a few hours of fishing.  I had no intention of using what was working.  I wanted to try something different.

The Z-viber 1/16 oz lure...terribl e.  I couldn't get a fish to bite it.  I may need more practice.

My stupid spinner trolling rig was hot cakes.  I've never tried it ice fishing, thought I would try it.

Like this post: 0
The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Adverstisement

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 05:50:27 PM »
Tomorrow 1/11 will be all about ice ice ice fishing...

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »
How's biting? Ice should be at least 20" now but with the warm weather, it has melted at least 2" and now it's trying to re-freeze again. But like you said.. ice is never safe even if it's 20"+. Just becareful and watch out of water, heaves, and cracks.

I caught a few crappies...typ ical little ones 8-9" in length.  Caught a few feeder perch too...just pests.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 05:38:46 PM »
I might have some hot spots.. if you're willing to travel further up north.  ;)

Fishing is never guaranteed to catch.  O0  Sometimes, I get to a spot and being all alone, it can be crazy catching fish after fish.  Other times, it's a lonely dead sea.  It's sometimes weather related, high pressure low pressure.  Sometimes, ice fishing is all temperature... too cold and I don't feel like moving much.  Hence I sometimes don't catch much.

I went to a different spot yesterday.  Cold enough and high pressure came through.  Not much to show except for one catfish and one perch.  So I basically froze my hands and got a lot of exercise packing and unpacking gear.  Recovering today.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 07:22:51 PM »
OMG, we went out this past weekend too and it was frigid cold...brrrrrr .. Imagine drilling holes and trying to find fishes. After 1 hour we gave up and set tents. It was too cold. My fingers and toes froze.. can barely moved them. Had to jump in the car and heat it up. It was super cold. Went to 3 different lakes. One lake, we caught sunnies only but good size (palm size) sunnies. Giant crappies comes at night but they are super smart.

I didn't go out over the weekend.  It was too cold for just me alone.  Instead I sat around home and tweak some of my fishing gear and put on new lines and stuff.  I did sneak out yesterday as it was a bit warmer.  Still too cold to try to hole hop and I just stayed inside my shelter.  I did catch a few crappies.  For some reason I haven't had much luck at night, so I haven't been trying to do nights. 

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 04:15:58 AM »
Night fishing is mostly for walleye or northern. If you want panfish, they come early, mid afternoon only. After 6-7, you can just pack because it will be dead under unless you want the big fishes. Going up next week. Hope to catch something.
I remember used to catch crappies after dark was the norm.  Walleyes if set up slightly more shallow, but hate the dead wait game for nothing and if I miss, it's usually done.  Catfish at night is sometimes good too.  After dark some of the biggest rock bass.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 11:29:44 PM »
Never had rock bass before. Used to catch a few of them on shallow water on small river but heard it has a lot of bones so it's just catch and release. I do like perch though. That's something good to fillet but from last year.. I've had enough fillet jumbos.

Rock bass has big bones and big rib bone structure.  A 10 inch rock bass has about as much meat as like a 6 inch blue gill in fillet.  You think that rock bass is thick, but very thin meat.  They are just fun to catch when you hit a nice school of big size.  They can have a lighter bite than crappies at times, but they're can stay curious like young walleyes or hungry perch on lures.  You can have easily half a dozen or more try to hook set on Rock bass before it ignores your lure.

The bigger the rock bass is, more it begins to look like a smallmouth bass in shape.  They start to get more elongated rather than stay pan shaped.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 05:58:11 PM »
Cold weather and snow is good for ice fishing...I will have full confidence driving out on the lakes now.

Advertisements