Advertisement

Author Topic: Donating  (Read 903 times)

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
Donating
« on: December 19, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »
What are your thoughts on donating to causes/charities/foundations?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
Re: Donating
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »
We have donated in the past here and there.  Whether it's time or money.

Like this post: +1

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
Always check the background of such organization.  For years,  I thought carsforkids.co m was a good organization but a lot of them, only 20% goes to the cause while the rest is admin fees.  Donating is good for humanity.  You may not know who is going to end up with your donation but whoever does, will brighten up their lives. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 12:05:38 PM »
My concerns:
1. Too many charities and foundations not putting donations to use as intended, e.g. often, such a small percentage of the donations actually go to the poor kids or to doing the things that the money was meant for...  An article states, "The organization might use a large chunk of your donation to pay salaries for the program staff."
2. Before donating, a person needs to research to make sure a charity is reputable and uses its donations responsibly.  But, an article indicates that "Even a legitimate, non-scam charity can have significant problems. A poorly run charity may not manage donations well, lessening the chance that your gift is used for the intended purpose."   >:(

https://www.self.com/story/how-to-make-sure-your-charitable-giving-is-going-to-the-right-place:
"Most reputable charities will have a ton of information available online about how they are run, what they do, who oversees their programming, and how they protect donor privacy. A little research can go a long way to being sure that any money you give them will actually go to the cause.

[Also,] You want to make sure that a charity is registered with the IRS—if it’s not, that’s a red flag..."

Another good article: https://www.self.com/story/what-financial-planners-want-you-to-know-before-you-donate-to-charity

That's why I feel more inclined to:
1. Donate clothes/food directly to churches, shelters, food shelves
2. Give money directly to the people that will be on the ground doing the actual work (visiting the people suffering and offering aid, etc.)

I feel frustrated.  Because, I want to donate to the starving Yemen children, but, how would I know that 80% of my donations will actually reach the Yemen children???

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 12:59:55 PM »
i donate only to goodwill!   they provide me a receipt for tax deductions. 

one other important donation i make, is to restaurants... it's mostly used as a tax write off for my business meetings, also known as dates! ha!

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »

Depends ...on the cause...

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 06:50:28 PM »

Question to yourself is. Are you really well off? Case, yes. Then you may want to donate to well known organizations for a good cause. Otherwise, you outta save that money. Can never know when you will be needing that in life.

Advertisements