Advertisement

Author Topic: I think the NFL should change the playoff format to this  (Read 863 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
I think the NFL should change the playoff format to this
« on: January 14, 2019, 03:51:08 AM »
They should solely based the playoff seating on records. That way you don't have a 15-1 team that finished second in a strong division seating lower than a 8-8 team in a weak division just because they won their division.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
Re: I think the NFL should change the playoff format to this
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 06:08:59 AM »
No, it’s perfect the way that it is. Winning your division is more important than best record. In your case the rebuilding divisions would never make the playoff. Not good for fan base and NFL.

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 07:40:33 PM »
No, it’s perfect the way that it is. Winning your division is more important than best record. In your case the rebuilding divisions would never make the playoff. Not good for fan base and NFL.

What I mean is the winner of a weak division should still make the playoff to represent their division but just not seat higher than say second place team in another division that has a better record and is also in the playoff...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 12:13:14 AM »
Not quite because in the NBA, division winners are not guarantee a playoff spot if they don't finish in the top 16 record wise...

For the NFL, I still like to see the division winner represent their division in the playoff but seeding should be based on record, not division.

I remembered back in 2010, the Seahawks finished with a 7-9 record and they were the number 4 seed in the playoff just because won the NFC West. Both the Packers and Saints had better records but were seeded 6th and 5th in that playoff. That means that the Seahawks had home field advantage over those two teams despite having a worst record.

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 06:23:28 PM »
What I mean is the winner of a weak division should still make the playoff to represent their division but just not seat higher than say second place team in another division that has a better record and is also in the playoff...

I see, not for me. I like how it is.

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Advertisements