Advertisement

Author Topic: Walmart is paying close to 6 figures if any of you are interested in  (Read 4008 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
...driving for them but you'll need a bit of experience. I'm sure other large companies like Amazon, UPS, FedEx, etc., may follow suit to due to the increasing shortage... ???:

Walmart hiring hundreds more truck drivers – and it's paying nearly $90,000

Walmart is looking to add more truck drivers in the upcoming year as an industry-wide shortage continues to loom. And it's increasing their pay, too.

In addition to the more than 1,400 truck drivers hired in 2018, Walmart stated that "hundreds more are slated to join the fleet." Plus, starting in February, drivers will earn one cent extra per mile as well as additional pay for every arrival – adding up to roughly 89 cents per mile, or an average of $87,500 per year.

The median salary for a truck driver on a national, irregular route is over $53,000, according to a study last year by the American Trucking Associations .

Walmart attributes the increase in hiring to delivering more goods – same-store sales hit 3 percent last year, leading to an increased demand for transportation and truck drivers.

To be hired, new drivers will need to have 30 months of experience over the past three years and a good safety record.

“We’re leaning heavily on the expertise of our Walmart road team and our certified driver trainers to grow our skilled fleet of professional drivers,” Lori Furnell, Walmart’s director of driver talent acquisition, said in a statement.

This move by Walmart comes at a time when companies are struggling to hire truckers, amid a nationwide shortage that has pushed up freight costs and subsequently increased retail prices.

Bob Costello, the chief economist of the American Trucking Associations, projected the industry could be short 175,000 drivers by 2026.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline darkhelmet

• Respect: +56
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart is paying close to 6 figures if any of you are interested in
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 03:07:32 PM »
No thanks.  I make six figures working from home.  Truck driving would suck for me.

I made you read this.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 09:54:43 PM »
Definitely not for everyone. Some of the Hmong folks and other people I know personally that do trucking love it and they put it in this perspective: "I get to go visit new places and get paid for it, can't beat it.."

Offline darkhelmet

• Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 11:30:23 AM »
Definitely not for everyone. Some of the Hmong folks and other people I know personally that do trucking love it and they put it in this perspective: "I get to go visit new places and get paid for it, can't beat it.."

I guess it would be awesome for some people, but I've driven all over the US (on vacation) and even that's not fun.  Can't imagine working at the same time as well.  It might be nice at first, but I'd imagine it becomes draining after a while. 

And you aren't getting paid if you aren't driving... I don't see how you can enjoy anything by just driving through it.

I made you read this.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 12:40:17 AM »
I guess it would be awesome for some people, but I've driven all over the US (on vacation) and even that's not fun.  Can't imagine working at the same time as well.  It might be nice at first, but I'd imagine it becomes draining after a while. 

And you aren't getting paid if you aren't driving... I don't see how you can enjoy anything by just driving through it.

Yep, it is "awesome" for them from what they've said. Same goes for those that prefers to work in an office setting or from home...It's not for everyone either. Some prefer to work in an outdoor setting i.e., Rangers, Fishermen, Truck Drivers, etc., versus being cooped up in an office setting...So when it comes to "awesome" and "fun", just depends on the individual...a s it can be subjective.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 12:41:41 AM »
trucking is good if you own your own truck and enjoy the solitude living on the road...accept or reject deliveries as you wish..if trucking for a company... you better pray your dispatcher is cool beans and your company gives you the option to forfeit a destination if you feel unsafe to do so in whatever the road conditions may be...nonethele ss, it is still a high risk job...i believe i once read it is in the top 3, with fatalities or death each year...

True, trucking like many jobs out there, some love it and some hate it...

Advertisements