Advertisement

Author Topic: Man even grandpa's Caddy offers it, can't say the same for the new NSX and Supra  (Read 3947 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1320
    • View Profile
And they're suppose to be real sports car/super cars... ;D:

The 20 Best Cars That Still Offer a Manual Transmission
For those who like to do the shifting themselves.

13. 2019 Cadillac ATS-V Coupe ...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/g2161/20-best-cars-with-manual-transmission/

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline darkhelmet

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
You can still shift with dual clutch just like a manual - without the clutch pedal.

I made you read this.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
"without the clutch pedal" = not a real manual. I know manual drive purest like myself are dying and as result, the demand for real manual drive autos are also dying but at least offer it as an option for those of us that still want it and even willing to pay extra for it especially when the car is a real sport or a super car...

I paid extra for the 6-speed in my Corvette and it was worth every penny... O0

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
BTW, I do some offroading from time to time and I also prefer a manual drive in my 4x4 vehicle too and agree with this statement:

"Creeping up and over boulders with a manual transmission is challenging and requires just the right shift timing, throttle, and clutch work. An automatic lets the vehicle slowly crawl over the worst trail obstacles. All the driver has to do is steer and gently apply the throttle."

Sure it's more work with a manual drive but it teaches more skills and definitely more satisfying and "fun" for me when I know my knowledge and skills played a large part in getting over those obstacles.  O0

Offline darkhelmet

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
BTW, I do some offroading from time to time and I also prefer a manual drive in my 4x4 vehicle too and agree with this statement:

"Creeping up and over boulders with a manual transmission is challenging and requires just the right shift timing, throttle, and clutch work. An automatic lets the vehicle slowly crawl over the worst trail obstacles. All the driver has to do is steer and gently apply the throttle."

Sure it's more work with a manual drive but it teaches more skills and definitely more satisfying and "fun" for me when I know my knowledge and skills played a large part in getting over those obstacles.  O0

Not correct, you can control the shift points, throttle, etc with DCT.  Only difference, no clutch pedal.  End of the day, you put it on auto and just relax.  It's faster than manual too.

I made you read this.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Not correct, you can control the shift points, throttle, etc with DCT.  Only difference, no clutch pedal.  End of the day, you put it on auto and just relax.  It's faster than manual too.

"no clutch pedal" = not a real manual ...you can control the shift points , throttle, etc., all you want but without a clutch pedal = less skills needed to operate it ...Hint: people that bought it so their less skilled spouse can drive it too..

I don't doubt DCT shifts faster than a real manual due to its twin gearboxes, two clutches and no clutch pedal involved especially when the computer does all the work i.e., rev-matching...but no fun in that.

Offline darkhelmet

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
"no clutch pedal" = not a real manual ...you can control the shift points , throttle, etc., all you want but without a clutch pedal = less skills needed to operate it ...Hint: people that bought it so their less skilled spouse can drive it too..

I don't doubt DCT shifts faster than a real manual due to its twin gearboxes, two clutches and no clutch pedal involved especially when the computer does all the work i.e., rev-matching...but no fun in that.

No worries bro.  I think you just need to take a GT3 around the track.  :2funny:

I made you read this.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
No worries bro.  I think you just need to take a GT3 around the track.  :2funny:

Yep, all good. Opinions can vary so if this type makes one more happy than the other type, nothing wrong with it. Regardless if it's cars, food, music, movies, electronics or other subjective stuff, I've always advised others to at least try it so they can form an educated opinion on it for them vs relying on others' opinions. Speaking of "track", did the exotic car track experience in Vegas with the low end Ferrari and Lambo a few years ago and it was OK.

Offline darkhelmet

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Yep, all good. Opinions can vary so if this type makes one more happy than the other type, nothing wrong with it. Regardless if it's cars, food, music, movies, electronics or other subjective stuff, I've always advised others to at least try it so they can form an educated opinion on it for them vs relying on others' opinions. Speaking of "track", did the exotic car track experience in Vegas with the low end Ferrari and Lambo a few years ago and it was OK.

I think you should be semi-professional to drive a Ferrari and Lambo as they are harder to control.  You should try one of the Porsche variant.   I would go for the GT4 to try it out.

I made you read this.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
I think you should be semi-professional to drive a Ferrari and Lambo as they are harder to control.  You should try one of the Porsche variant.   I would go for the GT4 to try it out.

It wasn't too bad for me. One of the low end Lambo I chose was the Gallardo. Have not driven a Porsche since the 80s but I'm sure the GT3 RS or GT4 handles better than the Gallardo.

Just looked at Speed Vegas' site and the cheapest "Porsche" model to drive around their track is the Cayman GTS. It's as cheap as the Mustangs they have in their line up...

Offline Boost

• Jr. Poster
  • "Year Of The Dragon"
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
I actually don't mind auto-paddle shift. I've driven a few and like it. I don't mind manual either.

GR Supra - Armaspeed, AWE, Function Werk, Forge, JB4..
S2000 - AP1 w/AP2 Swap, GT35, Haltech, AEM, Tial, T1R..
RX400h - Hybrid

Advertisements