Advertisement

Author Topic: Identify these tribes, help!  (Read 391 times)

Offline TheAfterLife

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
Identify these tribes, help!
« on: January 31, 2019, 05:40:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxU4Uh2eQg8

Go to 1:20. What are these ethnics that served us. We have to give them our gratitude since they joined us like some Halo covenant.

1.The Tong tribes/xwv dis toom, what are they? Are they sub ethnic group from Hmong people as a branch, or they from the Chinese?

2. Phu Yi/Phus Yiv, what are they too?

3. Qhue/Gui tribe, are they Hmong or Chinese?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline loomweaver

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: Identify these tribes, help!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 02:45:11 AM »
Number 1 are the Dong people. I especially love their folk songs. One notable thing about them is that their women wear knee-length pleated skirts and leg wraps similar to us.

Number 2 are the Bouyei people. Although the Chinese classify them as a distinct ethnic group, they actually consider themselves a part of the bigger Zhuang ethnic group.

The Dong and Bouyei languages (as well as the Zhuang whom the Bouyei consider themselves a part of) are part of the Kra-Dai Language Family Tree, so you may notice the similarities between them and the Thai and Lao languages.

(example of the Zhuang language below to compare to the Dong, Bouyei, Thai and Lao languages...)

Number 3 I am not so sure, but the people they show in the video clip when the name popped up was of the White Trouser Yao (Mien people), and I know the Yao/Mien people did help us out and was forced to flee China along with us..........so maybe they were talking about the Yao/Mien people.....???

(Personally, I have never heard of the Mien people being called "Qhue/Gu (?)" before so this part confuses me.)

Side Note: I've noticed that the Red Yao/Mien and White Trouser Yao/Mien dress strikingly similar to us compared to the other Yao/Mien sub-groups.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:52:32 AM by loomweaver »

Offline TheAfterLife

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
Re: Identify these tribes, help!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 04:29:53 PM »
Interesting...

Thx!

Advertisements