Advertisement

Author Topic: darkhelmet, GT3 tranny comparison, I was a bit surprised to see  (Read 2502 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1320
    • View Profile
darkhelmet, GT3 tranny comparison, I was a bit surprised to see
« on: February 09, 2019, 02:00:05 AM »
...the 6-speed version having a higher base MSRP than the dual clutch version and the dual clutch version weighing a bit less  ???.. I can see this tester's take between the two types of tranny as it has some similarities to my own experience:

"That is a lot more work," he said, fresh off laps in the manual car. "Way more difficult to do a perfect lap with the manual transmission. I seem to end up halfway between gears a lot, and it was easier to destabilize the car in the brake zone. It's tricky to do the brake and entry perfectly when there's a downshift in there. It's much trickier to throw a downshift at it than not to. It's reminiscent of what we have to deal with, with manual transmissions, having to decide what gear you need, and it takes more practice to do it perfectly in one lap. I didn't get into the magic zone like I did with the PDK, maybe because of the extra work."

....2018 Porsche 911 GT3   6-speed manual    7-speed PDK
    BASE PRICE                   $146,350             $145,650

CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST)   3,270 lb (40/60%)   3,247 lb (39/61%)

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsche/911/2018/2018-porsche-911-gt3-first-test-review/

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 02:10:15 AM by theking »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline darkhelmet

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
Re: darkhelmet, GT3 tranny comparison, I was a bit surprised to see
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:30:24 AM »
That just proves my point.  Why struggle to get into the sweet spot with a manual?  Losing is not fun for me.

I made you read this.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1320
    • View Profile
Re: darkhelmet, GT3 tranny comparison, I was a bit surprised to see
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 12:45:43 PM »
Perhaps having a computer do the work for you is "fun" for you but it ain't for me...as I've said in the other thread, if you're happy with DCT, stick with it since it's subjective when it comes to tranny type preference and "fun"...Probably explains why both the real manual and DCT are dying as the majority still prefer full automatic tranny..

Advertisements