Advertisement

Author Topic: What do you want your kids to have that you never had as a kid or teen?  (Read 3792 times)

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
When I was young, there were plenty of things I never got because we were poor.  I want my kids to have those things so they'll have an advantage.  Anything you want your kids to have that you never got?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want your kids to have that you never had as a kid or teen?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 12:52:34 PM »
The one thing I want my kids to have is experience living life in a 3rd world country like I did so they understand how bless they are and the opportunities they have.  Our kids did not have the struggles we did and I think we did them a disservice.  Need to send them to Laos and Thailand for a few months..becaus e talking and seeing/experiencing are two different things. 

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Peachy Fish

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 01:45:19 PM »
When I do have a child...I want my child to
- go to prom. My aunt and uncle even bought me a prom dress, but I wasn't allowed to go as my father was strict.
- save $ towards their own car. When I turned 15, my parents got a brand new Honda Civic for me. I didn't see the value of saving for something at a young age...only opened my eyes to it once I was 18.
- be more involved in politics by learning about voting and protests...lea rn more about our government and policies. Apart from voting, didn't really find interest in this until my mid 20's.
- be more involved in the Hmong and Asian community

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 01:48:03 PM »
When I do have a child...I want my child to
- go to prom. My aunt and uncle even bought me a prom dress, but I wasn't allowed to go as my father was strict.
- save $ towards their own car. When I turned 15, my parents got a brand new Honda Civic for me. I didn't see the value of saving for something at a young age...only opened my eyes to it once I was 18.
- be more involved in politics by learning about voting and protests...lea rn more about our government and policies. Apart from voting, didn't really find interest in this until my mid 20's.
- be more involved in the Hmong and Asian community
Kids might not share the same values and hate you for it.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 01:50:45 PM »
Yeah. I never got to go to prom because I didn't have a HS girlfriend and I also was scared of having to marry a Hmong girl if I had taken her out late.
  Going to prom is not the problem.  Having money to treat her during the date is the real issue. Plus being under 18 so you can't rent a hotel room and have to make out in the car.  That's another big problem. lol.

Like this post: +1

Peachy Fish

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 01:52:57 PM »
Kids might not share the same values and hate you for it.

True. That's a chance I will take. Granted, I will help them save $ for a car too most likely.

As far as politics go, I think I'll be happy if they were more aware of it...if they hate it and want nothing of it - just like religion, I will not force that on them.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 01:54:33 PM »
Back in my HS days, we wouldn't have sex unless we were married.

Didn't know motels and hotels were for having sex on prom nights.

I was very traditional then.
Even if you didn't have sex, it was more comfortable to make out on a hotel bed than the passenger seat of a vehicle. ;)

Peachy Fish

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
Yeah. I never got to go to prom because I didn't have a HS girlfriend and I also was scared of having to marry a Hmong girl if I had taken her out late.

I was also afraid of force marriage too.

I remember this one time a Hmong boy called my house asking to talk to my dad. They asked him if they can take me to prom. He told the kid, "I like your parents and I like you, but my daughter is still too young, so she cannot go". Lol They didn't even asked me. Lol.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 02:00:11 PM »
I was also afraid of force marriage too.

I remember this one time a Hmong boy called my house asking to talk to my dad. They asked him if they can take me to prom. He told the kid, "I like your parents and I like you, but my daughter is still too young, so she cannot go". Lol They didn't even asked me. Lol.
  The girls I went with:

1.  Her father ran off to live with second wife in MN so she had a single mom and her mom didn't say anything since she often worked late at the pizza parlor anyway and came home late.

2.  She told her parents she's going with her girlfriends and will be spending the night at her girlfriend's house.  We did a triple date but each couple went in their own car so we all just met up at the friend's house around 4 am.

Peachy Fish

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 02:05:22 PM »
  The girls I went with:

1.  Her father ran off to live with second wife in MN so she had a single mom and her mom didn't say anything since she often worked late at the pizza parlor anyway and came home late.

2.  She told her parents she's going with her girlfriends and will be spending the night at her girlfriend's house.  We did a triple date but each couple went in their own car so we all just met up at the friend's house around 4 am.

Aww, young fling/love.  :)

Peachy Fish

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 02:06:53 PM »
Didn't have  a car and didn't know one could have sex in cars.

After college graduation, I met many people, heard many stories, and learned many new things. One story was that a guy told a hot girl that he wanted to borrow her Costco card to go to Costco but that she had to go with him because he didn't want them to think he had stolen someone else's card. They got into his car and just drove to a Cub Foods parking lots. He locked his car doors and seduced her in the back of his car.

Those details didn't come out until after her husband started questioning why their child wasn't like the other older two...lol

Another story was that a co-worker just pushed his co-worker's secretary wife into the back room where the drawers were and they had it there. Then they later kept having it in the back of the guy's pickup.

The husband didn't know of that until one day another secretary caught the two in each other's arms in the office.

So,now I know there are many places for sex. Just too traditional and can't do that.

Oh wow. The chances of them not getting caught gave them thrills, I'm sure. That's very, very brave of them.

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 02:08:52 PM »
Too late.  As they have already surpass us in that department.

Peachy Fish

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 02:09:27 PM »
Did you ask them who that was? I bet you got real curious. :2funny: :2funny:

I didn't want to know and didn't ask, but my father went ahead and told me who it was. I do like his family and did like him at that time too, but because of Hmong marriage ways, I steered clear of boys altogether until 18. Lol

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 05:10:02 PM »
Too late.  As they have already surpass us in that department.

Yep, same here...i.e., running water, health insurance among other needs and wants...

Offline Mong-X

• Your One And Only
  • Administrator
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 07:19:18 PM »
I wanted my kids to experience getting it on with a hot teacher.  We never got these opportunity so I want to make sure that it happen.   O0

Advertisements