Advertisement

Author Topic: I think flint-rod is a Math Teacher? But does he have this kind of compassion  (Read 749 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
...if he was in the same situation as this math teacher??  ???:

A student brought his baby to class because he didn’t have child care. His professor lent a hand.

Mathematics professor Nathan Alexander was always on his students, including Morehouse College senior Wayne Hayer.

Hayer knew the classroom rules, but unlike most students caught using their cellphones, the 26-year old was not scrolling through Instagram in class two weeks ago. He was texting his wife about their 5-month-old daughter, Assata.

Alexander, 34, called it “a moment of redirecting.”

“Our goal is to instill leadership in our students,” he said in an interview with The Washington Post on Sunday. “I want to be a model of that, and I think Wayne is a model of that. He was focused on his academics in spite of everything else he had going on.”

The professor told his student without hesitation: “If that’s the issue, bring her to class."

Hayer didn’t plan on testing his teacher’s word; the college senior held down two jobs while studying kinesiology at Morehouse, in Atlanta, and his wife typically stayed at home with their newborn.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:28:40 PM by theking »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
Everybody needs a hand here and there.  But, whether Flint have this kind of compassion, I don't know.  Flint??

flint-rod

props to this teacher and so many others like him not mentioned... i currently have 3 pregnant students... i've gone out of my way to make all the necessary accommodations i can without enabling them, to help them finish school and not drop out... btw, i teach at a alternative/pathway school... basically teaching the district's rejects... and i enjoy it... lol! 

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
one's compassion is respected until the child is disruptive in class.

School is a place for learning and not childcare.  granted hayer is being a responsible parent, however he should not impede on others' learning and studies...babi es at school or work place causes distraction... this is why we have daycare, dual parenting and other resources.  It is admirable for the teacher to offer a helping hand but it may backfire if everyone started to bring their kids to schools and/or work place. 

flint rod is a great math teacher...this was just taken yesterday, an example of his teachings and students:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DOmr5nVlG0

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
and i enjoy it... lol!

That's the bottom line for me when it comes to work because if you're doing something "enjoy" then it's not really work but more of a hobby...

I rather make less pay for doing something I enjoy doing than make more for misery...

Advertisements